2015 Ram Back Up Camera

BrianG

Has anyone mounted a non-OEM camera to a late model Ram using the original OEM connection. I really miss not having a camera. Looks like I could buy an OEM camera for around $173.00 and could build a mount, looking for an easier way.

Thanks

I'm just trying to find a bracket to mount the stock one under my camper. I pulled it out of the tailgate without an issue but I'm no fabricator so I'm waiting for something to fall in my lap that will work.

Check out Cubby Cam. He did a camera with OEM connector for my Chevy so I could use the factory wiring.

This is what I did.

NOT part #68200274-AA. That part number is a six pin plug/wiring harness and everything on the back of the truck is eight pins.

https://flic.kr/p/AqjWcm

Not it! That is the 10 foot extension that is intended to run to the back of a chassis model however, I believe the reason it is only six pins is because it doesn't need the additional wires for the locking tailgate.

So you need the entire OEM wiring harness which is part #68189124-AB and #68224929-AA. One connects to the truck bed (after you have removed the tailgate) and then the other completes the connection to the camera (which is normally INSIDE the tailgate). Don't ask why they needed to make this harness in to two pieces. Don't think that was necessary but that's what made it work.

https://flic.kr/p/AqjWcm

I labeled the harnesses with letters so it's easier to show them to you. A and C comes together as 68224929-AA. You discard C as you don't need it for anything (except maybe spare parts). B is normally the part that is inside your tailgate. I have already installed the camera (part number 56038978-A3) at the end of harness B.

I plugged everything in and I have confirmed rear camera image on my in dash display. Yay! So now all I have to do is strip off the unnecessary wire harness which is for the power lock on the tail gate, fashion a mount for the outside of my camper, duplicating the height and angle of the existing camera, hide all the ugly wires in a conduit of some sort, and it will be beer time!

Rocky Mountain campers sent me a camera with the plug in that plugs right into my Tacoma camera plug! Basically factory to factory in looks and easy!!!!
Sure is sweet when hooking up a trailer!!!

I did about what northshorehenry did - I got the factory camera for about 80 on ebay and the stock tailgate and connector pieces. All in I think was was under 150. Plugs into the factory plug and made a simple mount for the back of my camper. Even with the 2' overhang had plenty of wire using stock pieces. Sure do like having the back up camera.

I've still got the plug that unlocks the tailgate. I'm trying to figure out what to do with that. Thinking of setting up a relay and flood light in the back. On the to do list.

I basically did the same thing as northshorhenry, bought all the wiring harness's and camera from the RAM dealer, rolled it into my purchase price when i bought the truck, but roughly $200. TOTAL plug and play set up. i made a quick and dirty license plate mount to test the angle and all that before i went on a trip. was supposed to just be a test bracket, but it works fine and is still there 6 months later. this is the cheapest option out there for the RAM trucks, and its 100% factory

ps--could also drill a hole in the plastic part of the bumper left or right of the license plate and mount the camera there, slightly off center, but really clean. ive considered it, but my set up works just fine

Does anyone have pictures of a completed and installed camera on a ram?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

here are pics of my camera. like i said, my mount was meant to be temporary to find angle and all that. works perfectly so its still there.

i am pointing to a location i think would be good to mount the camera behind the bumper plastic, slightly off center though. havent brought myself to drill a hole to test it yet (new truck ya know)

Attachments

• IMG_4197.jpg
    IMG_4197.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 342
coguzzi said:
here are pics of my camera. like i said, my mount was meant to be temporary to find angle and all that. works perfectly so its still there.

i am pointing to a location i think would be good to mount the camera behind the bumper plastic, slightly off center though. havent brought myself to drill a hole to test it yet (new truck ya know)
any pics of how you made the camera mount? I just bought the camera and short plug that it attaches to, and will buy the 68224929AA tomorrow as I think it's the one I need for my 2014 RAM 1500. I have the factory tailgate camera and remove my tailgate when camping.
thanks!

BowAholic said:
any pics of how you made the camera mount? I just bought the camera and short plug that it attaches to, and will buy the 68224929AA tomorrow as I think it's the one I need for my 2014 RAM 1500. I have the factory tailgate camera and remove my tailgate when camping.
thanks!
no pic of it handy, its just a flat piece, holds the camera and mount behind the license plate bolts. quick and dirty simple, maybe ill make it better if i find the time (other projects are more important)

coguzzi said:
no pic of it handy, its just a flat piece, holds the camera and mount behind the license plate bolts. quick and dirty simple, maybe ill make it better if i find the time (other projects are more important)
thanks. I had just been curious about a mount since the camera bolt holes are so far back from the lense. I guess as long as I make it out of something thick, it should allow for the lense to be flush with the opening in the flange. I also wondered what your screen pic looked like with the camera so much lower? I'm hoping it will help me when backing under my camper.
thanks again,
Bob

northshorehenry said:
@BWSracing. I am just making a bracket. I will post a picture once I install it.
excellent... looking forward to seeing it. I had thought about making one that was held on by a spring clamp so it could be removed or moved.

coguzzi said:

This is what I did on my Ram 2500.

Drilled a 7/8 and 2 small holes for mounting just left of the license plate. Once the camera and harness was removed from my tailgate I installed a rubber grommet around the camera head for stability and appearance.
img_134970_6_83da256af146f6f15f62312b4205b993.jpg

Put 2 small spacers to cover the gap behind the bumper and installed with bolts and locknuts.
img_134970_9_d22efc0b9c5e12d0a6fc9c867fcfd4f7.jpg

Only thing is the bumper obstruction in the corner but it's not too bad as the camera is wide angle.
img_134970_12_0bfb001a63887d1ba1fd35c89c444532.jpg

If I could do it again I would've pulled the camera and wiring harness out of my tailgate before assuming it wasn't removable By the looks of it it does come out but I bought $150 worth of wiring harness thinking it was necessary. Guess if I buy a new camera I'll have 2 setups; with or without tailgate.

turn_one,
Looks great. I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine. I did remove my harness from the tailgate since my Hawk is on full time and I will never use the tailgate. What did you do with all the excess wire? Just zip tied up?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom