2016 Hawk is a tight fit for 2006 Tundra DC

BaseCamp

We finally received our 2016 Hawk shell for our 2006 Tundra doublecab. Really surprised that it is such a tight fit. There is only about a quarter of an inch clearance between the rear side of the Hawk (where the battery box is located) and the sidewalls of the Tundra. Had a hard time even sliding a piece of cardboard into each side in an attempt to keep the screw heads from scratching the paint off of the sidewalls. The dealership had two beefy guys muscle the Hawk into place. I had a hard time trying to load the Hawk by myself last week.

Seems like there are many owners with the first generation Tundras on this site. What tips and tricks have you found useful in resolving this issue?

Thank-you much in advance.

BaseCamp said:
We finally received our 2016 Hawk shell for our 2006 Tundra doublecab. Really surprised that it is such a tight fit. There is only about a quarter of an inch clearance between the rear side of the Hawk (where the battery box is located) and the sidewalls of the Tundra. Had a hard time even sliding a piece of cardboard into each side in an attempt to keep the screw heads from scratching the paint off of the sidewalls. The dealership had two beefy guys muscle the Hawk into place. I had a hard time trying to load the Hawk by myself last week.

Seems like there are many owners with the first generation Tundras on this site. What tips and tricks have you found useful in resolving this issue?

Thank-you much in advance.

Howdy,

I own a 2005 Tundra SR5 Access Cab with a 2016 Hawk "permanently" install.

I am a little confused about your Hawk being that close, 1/4 inch, from the "sidewalls" because the wheel wells inside the bed of the Tundra are perhaps 6" from the sidewalls and indeed the box that is the bottom of the Hawk does only have about 1/4" clearance on the sides of the box from the wheel wells...you mentioned the "battery box" so I assume you are talking about the bottom box of the camper that rests on the bed of the truck.

The clearance of the rear wall of the Hawk [where door is] is perhaps 1/2" on each side from the sidewalls of the bed [where the tail gate use to be before I removed it].

Loading the Hawk by yourself should be a snap if you are using the jacks and the camper is correctly lined up between the wheel well inside the bed of the truck. I have a Rhino Liner in the bed of our Tundra so there is some friction pushing the Hawk into final placement with the two front FWC rubber spacers attached at the bottom of the camper box into position up against the front wall of the truck bed.

A tight fit is a good thing; once shackled down with turnbuckles the tight fit limits lateral movement, yet allows some flexing without interference.

If you have a high friction mat in the bed, pushing the Hawk into final position could indeed be a grunt.

Hope that helps.

Phil

Congrats on the new Hawk. If you use your Hawk / Tundra like we have, scratches will happen. :)

We have the first gen access cab Tundra and FWC Hawk. It is within a 1/4" to fit the last three or four inches past the pillars on either side of the tailgate opening. I load carefully, but can do it alone. Align the rails of your bed with the camper as you back in. I usually jump out and eyeball the side to side alignment and check for clearance below. I do this several times as I nudge the camper (sitting on jacks) into the bed. The last constriction at the pillars is a squish and sometimes the camper sways a bit on it's jacks. You just get a feel for it.

I have used a scrap 3/8" plywood to space the last few inches at the tail gate frame but have changed to using a 3/4" solid wood spacer that extends from the front of the bed past the wheel well to shim it to center there my truck has about 7/8" on each side when perfectly centered

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

2005 Tundra and 2013 Hawk, yes about 3/8 " each side at tail gate. I only take the camper off a couple of time a year. Once you get used to it easy to do.

Thank-you for the prompt responses. I should've snapped a pic of the clearance when I had it on the truck. Sounds like it various from 3/8 to 7/8 clearance on the various Tundra model years. The camper clears the wheel wells because the front 75% of the camper is only 48" wide. The back 25% of the camper has the battery box on the driver side and similar built-out on the right side which extends the width to 58".

I do have a 3/4" rubber mat on the bed, which I read was recommended. Once on, it doesn't slide at all.

Sounds like I just need more practice.

BaseCamp said:
Thank-you for the prompt responses. I should've snapped a pic of the clearance when I had it on the truck. Sounds like it various from 3/8 to 7/8 clearance on the various Tundra model years. The camper clears the wheel wells because the front 75% of the camper is only 48" wide. The back 25% of the camper has the battery box on the driver side and similar built-out on the right side which extends the width to 58".

I do have a 3/4" rubber mat on the bed, which I read was recommended. Once on, it doesn't slide at all.

Sounds like I just need more practice.

OK...good description and thanks...having said that, the only rear "box" on my '16 Hawk is a the propane box [driver's side]....our twin batteries are on the passenger side but all the way forward in the main box of the camper..you say you have a Hawk shell so the lay out must be entirely different than our fully kitted out Hawk.

Check with Stan at FWC...but when we bought our Hawk FWC recommended against using a rubber mat under our Hawk and did recommend the type of bed coating we already had [Rhino Liner in our case] to create friction under the Hawk..perhaps that recommendation has changed....even if it has a 3/4" mat is very thick and of course raises the CG and can add significant weight...that notwithstanding a mat will trap moisture under the Hawk and onto the bed and as you found out they can greatly increase the effort needed to slide the Hawk forward into place.

We love our '05 Tundra/'16 Hawk combo....I am sure you will likewise really enjoy yours.

Phil

super doody said:
Yes, fit is extremely tight. I had to grind down the linex. I still have less than 1/4 of space on each side.

You had to "grind down the linex".....where in the bed of the Tundra did you do this?

Thanks...Phil

super doody said:
Yes, fit is extremely tight. I had to grind down the linex. I still have less than 1/4 of space on each side.
Hey folks..this is weird...here is the quote from Super Doody that I received in my WTW "instant follow" email and as you see it is different than what is posted here ...why is that ? I high-lighted the part missing from this forum thread.

Was it just edited out prior to being posted here?

Phil

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, fit is extremely tight. The good news it that your turn buckles will rarely loosen. I had to grind down the linex. I still have less than 1/4 of space on each side.

Wallowa said:
Hey folks..this is weird...here is the quote from Super Doody that I received in my WTW "instant follow" email and as you see it is different than what is posted here ...why is that ? I high-lighted the part missing from this forum thread.

Was it just edited out prior to being posted here?

Phil

Yes, fit is extremely tight. The good news it that your turn buckles will rarely loosen. I had to grind down the linex. I still have less than 1/4 of space on each side.
I edited my post. After I posted, I realized a previous poster already said the same thing. Basecamp, post a picture of the tailgate area if you can. I will do the same. 05 to 06 Tundra dcabs are great just wished I had the 5.7 liter engine but the power is sufficient.

hebegebe said:
I have used a scrap 3/8" plywood to space the last few inches at the tail gate frame but have changed to using a 3/4" solid wood spacer that extends from the front of the bed past the wheel well to shim it to center there my truck has about 7/8" on each side when perfectly centered

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Any pictures of this?

Back
Top Bottom