2016 North House Wooden Boat Show

takesiteasy

Once again we attended this event in Grand Marais, Minnesota on the shore of Lake Superior. It was our 3rd time representing Urban Boatbuilders, a non-profit organization for which I volunteer. I wrote a brief trip report and posted some photos to the blog:

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2016/07/2016-north-house-wooden-boat-show.html

The large leaf lupine was blooming. This variety of lupine is a native of the west but invasive to Minnesota- spreading along roadsides and crowding out native plants. There is a lupine native to southern Minnesota but it is less showy.

IMG_3490.jpg

Nice pic's. How light are the kayaks ... they really look cool but I probably don't need to know more.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Very cool skin on frame boats! And lupines!
Thanks for the comment!

carld said:
Nice pic's. How light are the kayaks ... they really look cool but I probably don't need to know more.
The kayaks weigh about 25 lbs- really light and strong. Fun to paddle and so easy to toss on the roof and go exploring.

So much fun! I expect I could spent hours looking at, admiring, and learning about the woodworking techniques. What a great way to donate some of your retirement time! Good you you and thanks for the post! :)

Apologies for the hijack, but I love boats... Here's a little lapstrake canoe that I built some years ago. And If I lose another 30 pounds (down 32 now), I can safely use it again.

28075657351_10aa1b6f9e_o.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Apologies for the hijack, but I love boats... Here's a little lapstrake canoe that I built some years ago. And If I lose another 30 pounds (down 32 now), I can safely use it again.
Wandering Sagebrush, a welcome hijack. Maybe we should start a thread on boats we love... :)

That's a lovely boat. We build a skin-on-frame wee lassie that is really fun. Here it is in the harbor at Grand Marais:

IMG_0957.jpg

ski3pin said:
So much fun! I expect I could spent hours looking at, admiring, and learning about the woodworking techniques. What a great way to donate some of your retirement time! Good you you and thanks for the post! :)
Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Al for the post.
We enjoyed our short trip there in 2012.
Nice place really good camp spots.
Frank
Ski, you would find much to love at the North House Folk School (and at Urban Boatbuilders too). In addition to all things craft, some spirited banjo playing accompanied the Saturday evening folk dancing.

Frank- you should wander out this way again!

Thanks for the comments!

Al, mine is a 12 foot Iain Oughtred Wee Rob. I built from Wooden Boat plans. 4mm Okume planks, with a variety of other woods for stems, gunnels and keel. I have never weighed the canoe, but I believe it is under 30 lbs. Designed as a sailing canoe, but I never wanted to swim that often. Hence, it's just used as a double paddle touring boat.

Al, that is awesome. Might have to work that in when we come up that way. I built a small sailboat with a friend as a 8th grade project. We never got it finished together, but he finished it. There is a father son team in Montana that build kayaks and canoes, Morley Canoes, Swan Lake, MT. There Web site is down. Amazing work. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

longhorn1 said:
Al, that is awesome. Might have to work that in when we come up that way. I built a small sailboat with a friend as a 8th grade project. We never got it finished together, but he finished it. There is a father son team in Montana that build kayaks and canoes, Morley Canoes, Swan Lake, MT. There Web site is down. Amazing work. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app
Thanks for the comment. I got the boat building bug early too- built a kit boat (pram) at age 12. Didn't get back to it until I retired. :)

Great stuff. Some cool boats there. I've been a couple of times to the Wooden Boat Magazine wooden boat show at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. I've been canoeing since childhood and have wanted to make a stripper canoe for years. I finally found the one I intend to build. Just have to get some other projects off my plate 1st.
http://www.greenval.com/kite.html

Squatch said:
Great stuff. Some cool boats there. I've been a couple of times to the Wooden Boat Magazine wooden boat show at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. I've been canoeing since childhood and have wanted to make a stripper canoe for years. I finally found the one I intend to build. Just have to get some other projects off my plate 1st.
http://www.greenval.com/kite.html
Now I have an idea for a trip- visit all the wooden boat shows around the country! Thanks for the comment.

That's a sweet canoe. I like the removable yoke idea.

Back
Top Bottom