2020 Power Wagon Build

dakozicki

Advanced Member
With the assistance of my local FWC Guru, KP Pawley at Sixgun Twelve Volt, two more projects were completed on the upfitting of my 2020 Power Wagon/FWC Hawk.

I added the Expedition One rear bumper with swing outs and an Aluminess cabinet. An Extreme Outback compressor and two gallon tank were installed underneath.

Next steps will be to mount the Pull Pal, Maxtrax and front bumper with a Hilift Jack. Then I hope to call it done!

Attachments

• IMG_2535.JPG
    IMG_2535.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 317
It will never be done! But don't worry, I will join you in going down that rabbit hole with my 2020 PW.

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_170038341_HDR_compress4.jpg
    IMG_20210118_170038341_HDR_compress4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 237
Where did you mount the compressor? I have been waiting for someone come out with an ARB duel mount for under hood.

That rear bumper is sweet, I've had my eye on one for a couple months now.

About 30 years ago I was sitting around a campfire with a bunch of other off-roaders on New Year's Eve in Trukhaven Hills. One of them had just had his Jeep featured on the cover of 4WD & Sport Utility. Another guy asked him "So, Danny, is your Jeep done now?" To which he replied "Hell, if it is done it is For Sale!"

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

The compressor is mounted under the Left Rear floor. I had to give up one of the in floor storage boxes. That is also the area the installer usually mounts the ARB dual. The tank is on the other side. I have outlets in the front and back. I know what you mean about that rabbit hole. [emoji6] It took over 4 months to get the bumper after I ordered it. I’m still waiting for the front one.

Suspension upgrades? You've got to be well past factory GVWR with camper and bumpers, let alone water and gear. How've you got it set up to handle the rough stuff?

DoGMAtix said:
Suspension upgrades? You've got to be well past factory GVWR with camper and bumpers, let alone water and gear. How've you got it set up to handle the rough stuff?
I have Hellwig airbags (which I would not recommend-get Ride Rite) and a Hellwig Heavy duty sway bar. Everything seems to work well. I haven’t tried it out yet though with the new bumper. I may need to beef up the springs. The PW does not have leaf springs.

Two of my vehicles with OBA have the QD's at the front and the rear. The next one gets the QD's at each side. I may decide to put some at the front and rear, but those will be for helping others and not for my own use.

I'll watch with interest - I love the thought of the articulated suspension on the Power wagon. I suppose you'll have to knock that back a bit to make it functional for high clearance rocky roads, but still will have an amazing go-anywhere rig.

I have Ride Rite on my 2020 PW with factory rear sway bar. While I don't have the weight of the added bumpers I can say the PW will handle a FWC no issues at all. And yes, I have used it on some pretty gnarly roads in the deserts of Nevada, Arizona and Cal.

dakozicki said:
With the assistance of my local FWC Guru, KP Pawley at Sixgun Twelve Volt, two more projects were completed on the upfitting of my 2020 Power Wagon/FWC Hawk.

I added the Expedition One rear bumper with swing outs and an Aluminess cabinet. An Extreme Outback compressor and two gallon tank were installed underneath.

Next steps will be to mount the Pull Pal, Maxtrax and front bumper with a Hilift Jack. Then I hope to call it done!
I've just purchased a 2020 PW & will be loading my 2015 Hawk on it. My current setup is a 2016 Diesel Ram with an Aluminess bumper with tire carrier and cabinet (same cabinet as yours). I'm on the verge of ordering the Exp One bump since my Aluminess will not fit on the 19+ Rams & there are no plans to make one for the later models. I'll carry a tire on one swing and my Aluminess box on the other. This bumper looks like it will be great solution (I especially like the recovery points built in!).

A question for you. Since the FWC sticks out about 3" beyond the end of the truck, it will need an extension spacer to push the bumper out 3-4" (as did my Aluminess). How did that work for you? Any problem with the bumper extending out? Any issues to be aware of?

ive got an aluminess bumper on the back of my 18 PW, they just padded out the bumper with 3" +/- aluminum block. all seems well (so far) ive got a fleet on mine,heli airbags and heli sway bar btw. carli suspension and am waiting for the aluminess front bumper

2018 is OK, unfortunately the 2019+ (I have 2020) changed the configuration & they said my current one won't work. I'm ordering an Expedition One bumper with swing arms, and can use the Aluminess box on one of the arms.

I personally could not recommend Expo1 based on my experience.

If you plan on using swing-outs and a FWC you need more like 4-5" of clearance. The only way to make it look right is do custom arms that come out and clear the camper. At least IMHO. Besides, this is a Power Wagon. Why decrease your departure angle and rear quarter protection even more by pushing the bumper back? Guess it depends on your trail use and difficulty level. Speaking of rear quarters, the Exp1 wings are marginal in case of a decent impact. Say a gentle drop off a shelf, and fortunately I've managed to only drag ass in soft stuff. But for what I do, there is no way I'd feel comfortable with an Aluminess offering.

Remember too, we're talking about one of the WORST places to add weight to an off-road vehicle. Cantilevered weight at that. Expect some chassis induced bucking on highway expansion joints, etc.

Attachments

• Feb Beach Trip-68 (2).jpeg
    Feb Beach Trip-68 (2).jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4098 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4098 (1).jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_4123 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4123 (1).jpeg