2020 - Travels along the Natchez Trace Parkway

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
In early June we drove the 444 mile Natchez Trace Parkway. Covid-19 sure has made traveling a whole lot different. We didn't know until mid-May whether we would be able to go. It was dependent on Tennessee and Mississippi opening their campgrounds. In Mississippi they opened all campgrounds to self-contained campers only.

The original Trace Road was traveled by wagons and horseback. In bad weather many places were impassable. There were STANDS (Inns and Restaurants) along the road. The 2 lane road today is 50 mph and no commercial vehicles.

The National Park Service manages the parkway. They have a great map you can pick up at the visitors center. I have posted links to the Old Natchez Road and to the NPS downloadable maps.

I apologize for the number of photos upfront. I also have links to different Civil War Battles and places of interest.

Click on the link:

2020 - Natchez Trace Parkway

What a nice trip down memory lane for my wife and I. From early 1979 through most of 1980 we lived in Starkville while I was a field geologist over in Choctaw County, working right along the southeastern side of the Parkway north of Ackerman. That gi-normous hole in the ground is the end result of the drilling and core sampling my crews did--the Red Hills lignite mine. Wife Terry often went to the field with me and we'd go up to Jeff Busby/Little Mountain or down to French Camp to picnic at lunch to get away from the screaming diesel on the drill rig.

Nice trip, thanks for sharing!

Foy

John, that was a great trip for you and Susan and an inspiration for all of us to take the time to delve into all the facets of our history. Although I've never been in that area, I was always drawn to the stories - Abe Lincoln, Merriweather Lewis, The Trail of Tears. Oh my goodness, visiting would be akin to standing on hallowed ground. My great grandfather was with Sherman. Two of my Dad's brothers took part in the centennial reenactments of the civil war battles both their grandfathers fought in. Your trip stirs up so many memories. Thanks JD!

Back
Top Bottom