2023 Hawk furnace problem.

RLS

I posted in another thread but getting no responses. Thought I'd start a new thread.
Picked up a new Hawk model camper. I tried the furnace after getting it home. It worked fine. Went out on an overnight camping trip. Turned on the furnace and heard what sounded to be three attempts at starting, then it shut down. I pulled the cover and saw the red light flashing three times with a pause in between another three flashes. On the label it states that this indicates a "ignition lockout fault".

I spoke with FWC and they sent a new sail switch and a new control board. I tried the new sail switch and got the same issue. I replaced the control board and still nothing. Brenda at FWC suggested putting a slight bend in the sail switch which I tried and still nothing. I then thought perhaps I need to bend it in the opposite direction and it worked. Unfortunately the next day I tried it again and got nothing. The same three flashes from the red light. I'm stumped.

Anybody with any similar problems? Suggestions?

Thanks Wandering Sagebrush.

After reading the various threads regarding the furnace, months before getting the camper, that was one of the first things I did after getting the camper home. :-(

This happened to me in my second season. The only thing that "fixed" the issue was replacing the sail switch. FWC sent me one for free. I'd be willing to bet the switch will have to be replaced every year or so. Im at less than a year on the new switch and no problems so far.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
IIRC, the culprit is how the duct hose is connected to the grill. There are threads on that topic.
Would having the duct attached cause the ignition to not fire up? I could see it firing up and then shutting down....

It sounds like you did exactly what I'd do... you can confirm the gas is working by lighting the stove. I had an issue a few months ago and when I tried to light the stove, it wouldn't light so I knew it was a propane issue.

RLS since your camper is NEW, and your working with FWC to change out parts and still not working, I'm thinking FWC might be able to set you up with a local repair shop to get the furnace fixed and still be covered by the warrantee. Would not hurt to ask.

kmcintyre said:
Would having the duct attached cause the ignition to not fire up? I could see it firing up and then shutting down....

It sounds like you did exactly what I'd do... you can confirm the gas is working by lighting the stove. I had an issue a few months ago and when I tried to light the stove, it wouldn't light so I knew it was a propane issue.
IMO… It might. If there is enough restriction, the sail switch might not activate.

FWC sent me a new sail switch and a new control board. Neither of those fixed the problem permanently. It worked once after replacing the sail switch and then it did not work. I've removed the duct from the front. I've lit both burners on the stove. I'm going to try and find a repair shop that can do the warranty work.

Sounds to me like FWC knows this is a problem so they either need to work with and/or put pressure on the manufacture to fix the damn problem or start sourcing another heater. There are better ones out there, I’m sure.

Wyo4Life said:
Sounds to me like FWC knows this is a problem so they either need to work with and/or put pressure on the manufacture to fix the damn problem or start sourcing another heater. There are better ones out there, I’m sure.
I've asked them about this... they are in a bind. They can't use some of the other options as they aren't certified to be used in campers, etc. I'm sure they'd switch to another furnace if they could.

RLS said:
Have decide instead to head down to the service dept. at FWC in Woodland. They said they can take a look at it. I'll report back on the outcome.
It'll be interesting to see what the issue turns out to be or if they'll just swap a new one in.

Back
Top Bottom