2023 Hawk Shell Battery charger install

bkf6363

Hello,

Picking up a Hawk shell with lithium upgrade & solar; I want to be able to plug this in to keep the battery topped off when it’s sitting in my garage. I’ve arranged to have the dealer I’m purchasing from install a NOCO input port and I planned to install the Victron IP67 battery charger; how big of job is this? Does anyone know if I need to install this in a different compartment than the battery? I’ve read about keeping the charger as far away from battery as possible.

BKF,
I had similar thoughts when I upgraded my AGM batteries to LiFePO4. I have since learned that these batteries require a different thought process on how to charge and maintain them.

I am not the battery expert around here, but I believe keeping them on a charger in float is unnecessary, since li-ion batteries do not leak charge. Furthermore, this may somewhat degrade the battery over time (at least faster than otherwise).

I am currently thinking it may be better to let the battery sit at less than 100 percent charge when the camper is not in use. When leaving for a trip, charge to 100% (either prior to or while driving).

I’m interested to know what others have decided to do regarding maintaining LiFePO4 batteries when the camper is not in use.

LiFePO4s don't need a float. And their self discharge is so low I'm not sure a charger is worth it. In general one stores then at about 80% anyway; that's why all the gadgets you buy have batteries less than full. And do not store a drained battery; that's not good for it and will shorten it's life.

Of course an AC charger could be handy for other reasons. I'd just use it to occasionally top up the batteries so they don't fall too low, but not have it on 24/7.

Some have suggested that storying LiFePo4 batteries at 50-80% SOC is better for them. I keep my fridge on all the time, so some kind of float or periodic recharging is necessary. If you pull the kill switch then there is no need to float charge them, they should be able to sit all winter without discharging.

Good to know; I appreciate the information. Now I wonder if I need do this install this at all or just get something like NOCO genius 10 and use it as needed vs wiring it in. $120 vs $600+

Note: I have a 2019 Hawk; the wiring layout for the new version may be different.

I installed a Victron IP22 12V/30A charger/power supply in place of the factory Iota when I did a lithium upgrade. I mounted it in the battery compartment, in fact all of my power equipment is there. It's a lithium compatible charger, so I just let it magically handle the battery charging. (Note that my battery has a builtin BMS).

Installation was pretty easy. Take off some panels in the battery compartment and the black grill; remove Iota, install Victron.

Not sure why you need the all-weather rating of the IP67. The IP22 is about $200.

I've never heard of needing to separate the charger from the battery; could you post a link that explains this?

Cheers,
Charlie

Aha, thanks. They don't say why it needs to be placed far away; perhaps it has to do with the outgassing from lead acid batteries that is mentioned later? Of course, the shorter the DC cables, the better. My charger is next to the battery but not above it. Now I'll be on the lookout for problems due to the proximity.

A NOCO Genius 10 will work just fine. I did that on one of my builds and I think it is still running fine (sold that camper). New to me camper I also put in a Victron 12/30A. You want all your chargers to be as close to the house battery as possible to minimize losses.

It’s been over a year since I last plugged in and that was only because I was parked in a garage and running 2 fridges.

Dean

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom