2023 Tacoma TRD Off road & 1999 Ranger (8’ model)

brownraf5

I attempted to search but all I got back was ford ranger questions.

Craigslist Ad here

So I’m about to drive down and pay $6000 for this and it seems like a good deal.

But it’s a Ranger model so it’s 8’ long. (NOT the 6’ Ranger II)

My truck is a 2023 Tacoma TRD Off road and she’s my baby, I don’t wanna hurt her by overloading with a camper.
With it sticking out 2’ and being heavy in the back is what worries me. The only info I can find is that the center of gravity will be affected making driving more dangerous. But how much more dangerous?

Is this doable with suspension upgrades? What do those upgrades need to be? Can I take it down to Baja?

Will it even fit? Guys says it will but I’m not convinced. And does anybody know how heavy these are? He’s saying 800lbs.

Lots of questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0691.png
    IMG_0691.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0690.png
    IMG_0690.png
    330.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0689.png
    IMG_0689.png
    340.8 KB · Views: 12
Weight behind the axle actually removes weight off the front axle, which adds that removed weight to the rear axle. So having it extend so far behind the truck is a poor idea.

Don't do this to your baby. Seller may claim 800 lbs, but once you load it up with water, food, other gear, you'll be 1000+ lbs. Looking at the Craigslist link, a lot of weight of that Ranger camper appears at the rear, well behind the axle location. Might be a different story if all the cabinets and fixtures were at the front where it would sit in front of your axle.
1726117724257.png

Last edited:
Yeah this is all the stuff I’m worried about.
I think I’m gonna have to go down there and check it out.

Will post an update with photos for posterity…
Here’s to hoping it fits like this image

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 18
If you go, you may want to take some cribbing with you. The bed sides on your 2023 Tacoma are 19" high whereas that camper is only 17" deep.
I assume you already have the FWC tie down bars in which case you need to check if the turnbuckle access doors on the Ranger camper aligns with the tie down bars meant for a Fleet.

"Can I take it down to Baja?"

Yes

Will you make it back?

????

That set up with that overhang, No Bueno.

Cuidado

40 years of running the roads in Mex. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Added weight that far behind the rear axle will unload the front axle affecting braking and traction when turning (especially in wet weather). Get a bigger truck.

Back
Top Bottom