2025 Chevrolet tailgate removal problems

HiCap

Advanced Member
Have a 2024 Chevrolet 2500hd pickup. When I remove the tailgate to mount my camper, I have a camera source review camera mounted on my Hawk Camper. Works great with my 360 camera system. Problem is I lose my blind side monitoring system. Chevrolet Dealer tech says it is because the wiring for the blind side monitoring goes threw the tailgate. They are billing me for the diagnosis 2 hour. If I want the blind side monitoring to work, they want me to bring in my tailgate so they can take the wiring harness out of it and plug it into the tailgate plug on the truck. They will bill me 6 hours labor for this work.

Have not heard of this problem before, I would think that Chevrolet would make a adapter to plug into the tailgate plug on the truck when you remove the tailgate for connections for blind side monitoring system? I have contacted Chevrolet and made a case on this. They said to pickup the truck from Dealer and pay them for the 2 hours, and fill out a warranty reimbursement claim with them. Hopefully they have a practical solution for this problem?

Anyone hear of this problem and have a solution?

I don’t have a known solution, but my neighbor bought a complete tailgate harness for his 2021 3500 hd to replicate the tailgate camera when the tailgate is removed. He didn’t realize all he needed was a FAKRA cable. The harness was just under $100, and I see the one for my 2021 3500 hd is available today for $74 from an online gm parts dealer.

I assume the harness for your truck would be similar cost. You may be able to order the harness and plug it in to restore the camera function. I have no idea if you’d have to alter the harness to replicate the compete tailgate circuitry (wire harness plus connected components.

I’m just making sure you realize the harnesses don’t cost that much if the issue can be solved this way. Good luck with it.

I don’t have a known solution, but my neighbor bought a complete tailgate harness for his 2021 3500 hd to replicate the tailgate camera when the tailgate is removed. He didn’t realize all he needed was a FAKRA cable. The harness was just under $100, and I see the one for my 2021 3500 hd is available today for $74 from an online gm parts dealer.

I assume the harness for your truck would be similar cost. You may be able to order the harness and plug it in to restore the camera function. I have no idea if you’d have to alter the harness to replicate the compete tailgate circuitry (wire harness plus connected components.

I’m just making sure you realize the harnesses don’t cost that much if the issue can be solved this way. Good luck with it.
If I cant find a adapter, that is option B, have used that in past trucks. Chevrolet tech wanted to take my wiring harness out of my tailgate and splice the data circuit thew it. Which is what I will do, but not with the harness in my tailgate, so If and when I need it will be good to go. The 360 camera system works great, I used a kit from Camera Source.com.
thanks for the reply

Today I disconnected all the wiring harness connections inside the tailgate, all safety systems working on truck! Very simple tailgate, wires are spliced inside harness, or truck senses wiring harness removed? Protected tailgate wiring harness and put wiring harness up and out of the way under truck.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problem when you remove your tailgate on 2024 Chevrolet 2500hd LT.

Attachments

• Inside tailgate.jpg
    Inside tailgate.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Wiring harness removed from tailgate.jpg
    Wiring harness removed from tailgate.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Tailgate wiring harness.jpg
    Tailgate wiring harness.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom