235/85r16?

CaptRussia253

Advanced Member
Anyone running this tall skinny tire with their camper? How's the truck handle with such a skinny tire? I ask because I'm trying to go down a size from my 285/75r16s and get a few mpg's back.

I use 235/85r16 BFG ATs in load range E. I don't have anything to compare it to as I have only used this tire size, but it seems to handle fine.

However, I am doubtful this will make any noticeable difference in fuel economy.

I typically run pizza cutters and it does make a slight difference in mileage. Although the revolutions per mile may be the same, depending on the sizes you're considering, the rolling resistance is slightly less, taking very little less torque to get the tires rolling.

Well my tires now are 33x11.5 and the 235/85s are roughly 32x9.5 so I figured it would make a big difference but I'm no expert. Plus the 235/85s are 10 lbs lighter.

Hopefully someone that has ran both sizes will respond.

Not actually the main issue of your post.
I have been running Goodyear Wrangler TDs 265/75/R16 (C load)
on my 2002 Tundra. So far I have gotten about 35K out of them with about 1/3 tread left.
Short story the side walls started to show cracks along the "Goodyear" lettering.
I hadn't planed to replace them yet but with the cracks it was a must.
For my use I went with the Hercules tire brand,made in US.
Same size with a 60K mile warranty.
Just another brand to check out.
Frank

My initial plan was to sell the truck and buy something stock for better mpg. If going to smaller tires helps me gain 3-4 mpg I'll keep the truck.

If I go down to a 235/85r16 I'm set on KO2s, Falken AT3W or Duratracs

It is extremely unlikely that this would make a 3-4 mpg difference, unless you are averaging 40 mpg! On my old 2004 Tacoma (with a wildernest not a FWC), I did switch from 265's to 235's and if there was any change in fuel economy it was not enough to be noticeable.

What sort of fuel economy are you getting now?

A smaller and lighter tire will help, but not by a huge margin. Here is a pretty high quality test looking at tire weight vs fuel economy:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

They see about a 10% increase in fuel economy with loosing 14lbs (25% of wheel weight) per wheel on relatively light weight VW golf. It seems to me that you will see less of an improvement on a heavily loaded vehicle with heavier tires/wheels if you drop 10lbs, which is more like 10% of the wheel weight on a truck. Just guessing here, but maybe a 5% improvement?

You may benefit a little from the thinner width reducing rolling resistance - but tread pattern matters more for rolling resistance. If you really want to improve fuel economy you would likely want a highway pattern tread as opposed to an AT tread, which would significantly decrease rolling resistance.

I am not trying to be a downer, I just don't think this will make the difference you want (a 20 - 30% improvement) and is likely not worth the cost unless you need to replace tires anyway.

Good info. Never thought about a highway tire before. Maybe that's the route I'll have to go.

I appreciate all the info from everyone. Keep them coming

When I switched from 255/85 x 16 BFG Mud-Terrains to 235/85 x 16s on my FJ 40 I gained almost exactly one mile per gallon, which when you're going from 15 to 16 is respectable. However, part of that was the switch from MTs to ATs. Nevertheless, going to a smaller and lighter tire has numerous advantages beyond fuel economy. I wrote on this subject here.

We currently run LT 235/85 x 16 BFG All-Terrains on: a 1973 FJ40, a 2012 Tacoma w/FWC, a 1986 Land Rover 110, and a 1993 Land Cruiser Troop Carrier. I guess you could say we're fans of that tire.

Haha wow that's a nice collection of trucks. I'm too a big fan of the tall and skinny look.

What mpg are you getting on the Tacoma with the fwc? Is the truck stock?

We get 17 if we're driving conservatively, 15 if not. Stock height suspension, manual transmission.

A lot of things you might not anticipate contribute to fuel economy. A winch bumper with a bull bar is a huge drag, for example.

Ditto what CR253 and JHanson have said. My Dodge Ram was set up very much like CR253’s vehicle and I paid the price...mostly in on-road driveability but certainly at the pump, also.

If you mentioned this and missed it, I apologize, but are you geared for the height (and maybe weight) of tire you're running? If not, the combo of going skinny and gearing for the height may get you close to what you want. I've heard a lot of people say that gearing was the best money spent on a mod for their truck. Not the most visible but contributes a lot to driveability and likely durability over the long run.
I'm thinking about running 285s in the future but want to run 4.70s or 4.88s before or soon after install. I'm currently on 31's with 4.30 factory gears.

Back
Top Bottom