2nd Annual AZ Pop-Up Bowl

ScottBailey

All,

Seems like it's about time to start planning this event. October something, but not Halloween. We can have the retired guys show midweek and those of us still producing can show Friday night.

Jay has suggested Peppersauce as well as -- blasphemously in CA! -- [url="http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=641%5D"Picacho SRA. Cochise Stronghold? They seem to have a reserveable group site. Pioneer Pass -- near last years site -- is a likely candidate, also.

Near the CA border would certainly allow more CA residents to show...

If you are interested/likely to show, please post up! Include date and location preferences if you have them.

SB

Attachments

• pub.jpg
    pub.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 387
KOFA is a another good CA/AZ area...

Lockett Meadow in Flagstaff?

Mt Graham near Safford?

Peppersauce is also fine too... I certainly can't complain about the drive.

Looks like the first weekend is probably best for me... 3rd would probably work too, as would Halloween, but it sounds like we're trying avoid that.

Kyle

We will be in Canyonlands on the White Rim the last week of Oct. We are in CA with family from Nov 12 through the 24th. I am not suggesting planning around our schedule its just an FYI. If we cant make it its our loss.

I liked KOFA a lot when I was there last year, but I'm open to new places. With enough time to plan, just about any dates work for me.

Yes!

Scott,

KOFA is one of the spots that we'd really like to get to and we should (Lord willing and the creek don't rise) be in the area in late October of '09. Picacho is good too.

Happy Trails!
'birds

Attachments

• Picacho SRA.jpg
    Picacho SRA.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 341
There is a nice spot in Happy Valley on the back side of the Rincons near the Turkey Creek trail head.I also like Pioneer Pass in the Pinal Mts.There is a camp below the pass that would fit a good sized group.A little elevation would be nice.It is still mighty warm in October

Jay,

PM'd you and Skeeter, too.

ALL:

My preference is to keep my travel time under 4 hours. That's pretty much most places in southern AZ.

Been thinking some more....

...and unless we get much input from interested parties in CA, lets go for Pioneer Pass in the Pinals.

Looks like 'bout 2 hours from Tucson... works for me! Have we decided on a weekend yet?

Kyle

We got Edna's diet straightened out, so she's been fine. In fact, we're camping on Lake Erie right now!

So, pencil in three people from Houston!

Vaya con Dios!

M&E

Mark, that sounds great! I am looking forward to seeing your work in person!

I am thinking the second or third weekend in October. Retired guys can show up early, but I'm stuck with Friday and Saturday nights.

Pioneer Pass sounds good enough. I'll try to scout it in August or September and post a few pics.

I think it's time for an update!

Pinal Pass -- near Globe, AZ -- the weekend including Fri October 9th and Saturday the 10th. Those retired guys that can show up earlier to secure the spot should. I might make it up there Thursday night, we'll see.

Scott,I am assuming that you mean Pioneer Pass.I was just there last week and took some pics of a real nice spot just below the pass.I believe it is about 8 miles of dirt road.It is narrow with pullouts but was in real good shape.

Attachments

• php2RkGfFPM.jpg
    php2RkGfFPM.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 184
  • phpCA62uVPM.jpg
    phpCA62uVPM.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 185
Scott,I am assuming that you mean Pioneer Pass.I was just there last week and took some pics of a real nice spot just below the pass.I believe it is about 8 miles of dirt road.It is narrow with pullouts but was in real good shape.

Pioneer Pass! Yes!!

Nice pics.

Hit Pinal Pass this weekend. I agree with lawnmowerman's location suggestion.

Here is a pic of where you turn. This is the 3rd vault toilet, and it is marked number 3. Although it's a bit hard to see the number.
pioneer_pass_3.jpg

There should be plenty of room to park our trucks....

I have every intention of making it down for this.

AZ is my "home" state - meaning when my daughter is done with school, that is where the wife and I plan on making our final home. We lived there in the early 90's and still fly down 4 or 5 times a year for getaway weekends.

I don't think I'll be able to do the CO roundup, as I just don't want to stress as much as I would on some of the roads. One time, about 97, I had just gotten a 1997 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport - my boss was the prez of a Jeep club out in SoCal. He got 2 or 3 guys together and took me out for a day. Little jeeps and tacos can just go places a full size truck should never try. Here is the link from that trip if you want a laugh... http://www.dirtdevils.org/RunReports/1997/WhiteMountain.htm

I may be able to make this but I'll just be returning from a near two week bike trip to the East coast so not sure. I'll do Colorado but will take it easy. Just because it can go places doesn't mean it should :LOL: , at least not on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom