2nd Generation GMC Jimmy FWC with half cab

74Jimmy

I recently bought a 1974 GMC Jimmy with what appears to be a heavily damaged and modified FWC. I was planning on driving to the dump and sliding it off, but thought "hey, I can fix this!" What are your thoughts? A tree landed on the camper, poked a hole in the roof and broke out the side window. The previous owner had removed the counter with the stove and sink and had built his own interior and added a window on the drivers side. There is basically nothing original left inside, it is just a shell with the half cab for the Jimmy. All this being said, the thing is growing on me and I have gone from "junk it", to "this thing is pretty cool!"

Attachments

• driver2 small.jpg
    driver2 small.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 178
  • front small.jpg
    front small.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 177
  • pass2 small.jpg
    pass2 small.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 174
If you got the time, money and skill, it looks like a worthwhile project. Done right it could become a real gem.

Taku said:
If you got the time, money and skill, it looks like a worthwhile project. Done right it could become a real gem.
I agree. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Yeah, I'd fix it, especially if it's an original Jimmy/Blazer model. They are built quite different than the standard 4WC, being bolted direcly onto the bed and using a cab "walk through". Here's a shot of the Bronco model from a Craigslist ad a while back . . .

00h0h_d9BCqPOkeyJ_600x450.jpg00606_8t70yIfhiDo_600x450.jpg

I'm curious if this is actually a FWC camper due to the windows in the front that the FWC folding lift panel would block.

Either way, give it a shot at repairing and best of luck!

Does anyone own one of these for the 73-75 Blazer/ Jimmy? I'd be curious to see some detail of the interior.
The previous owner installed a hydraulic jack for lifting the top into position. I'd like to go back to the manual lift for simplicity but I'll have to find out what the original hardware looked like.
Having access to the cab is kind of unique, although there really isn't much usable space to gain. The bucket seats in the cab have been replaced with a bench so you can flip the backrest forward to the dash and then use the back of the backrest from the camper, sitting on cushions on the floor. Not very comfortable, though. The original passenger seat used to hinge forward and that would give you another option to get in and out of the camper if I went back to that.
I think I'm going to build some sort of a base out of wood and then move this thing to my yard so I can repair the shell off the truck.

Attachments

• intFWC.jpg
    intFWC.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 111
  • intFWC2.jpg
    intFWC2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 116
74J-
You can see the standard 4WC "Lift Panels" in the interior shot I posted above. Two simple panels, with three spring-assisted piano hinges. Purchasing a new set from FWC or ATC can be pricey, but they are available. Some have resorted to rebuilding their existing panels, but in that case they reuse the hinges.

Ski3pin pointed out the panels would cover the front windows, so that is a bit of a mystery about your camper.

Here's a pic from the FWC website showing the current lift panels:
lift.jpg

If you want to tell us where you are located, there may be a close by member who can give you a tour of their camper, and the operation of the lift panels

Back
Top Bottom