3 Way Refrigerator Problem

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
If this has been discussed before, please pardon me and direct me to the posts.

This happened this weekend to our buddy barking spider. After returning to our campers after a long day, we found Barking's CO monitor going off. Entering the camper there was the distinct smell of combustion by products. The sideliner windows were closed and the roof vent was partially open. The refrigerator was the only appliance running.

We are currently checking everything out as thoroughly as we can.

We would think that no matter how the propane unit was burning that combustion byproducts should never enter the living area.

Has this experience happened to any of you?

Your insights would be helpful.

This is a 2005 HAWK with the 3 cubic foot norcold fridge. The burner appears clean and the fridge appears to be working fine.

Time to get a spray bottle with soappy water and check for leaks. Did you make sure the stove was off? If you where closer to me I have a gas sniffer that works great. Hope this helps

After many hours on the dusty roads of Big Bend NP we had a similar problem with our 3-way. The detector kept quiet but I could smell something and eventually decided to convert our 3-way to an icebox. Plenty of ice available at the supply stores. When I got home I had the burner in the fridge cleaned (could have done it myself if I had known what to do). I have had no problem since and just finished 10 days of continuous use on propane.

The problem may be incomplete combustion due to dust in the burner. Can be blown out with compressed air.

Thus far in digging into this, and these refrigerators are new territory for me, we found the burner slots corroded and dirty. The flue had a lot of soot in it. With both of those cleaned, Barking is now running it in the driveway to test fridge function and to see if the CO alarm goes off. Last update I heard, it's looking good.

Back
Top Bottom