British Columbia, August 2024

Occidental

Trail Master
We took a loop around British Columbia in August. It's taken me a while to get through the write up.

Here is the route we took (the BC portion):
Screenshot 2024-10-07 2.35.47 PM.png

We covered about 4000 miles, departing from and returning to north central Idaho. We found the BC Recreation Sites waypoints before we left. For those like me that were unaware of them, they generally feature a small minimally developed campground (a few are trailheads or other features), most are free (all that we stayed at were), a lot on small lakes. Having those was all the trip plan we needed, other than wanting to possibly see a bear in Hyder, and drive the Cassiar and the Alaska Highways (the portion of the Alaska hwy in BC at least). You could probably spend June - October on this route if you had the time and inclination.

I am still working on a few more videos of the trip not linked below, but the write up and pictures are now all posted to our website, as well as the videos completed to date:
A Loop of British Columbia, The Fishing Highway
A Loop of British Columbia, Salmon Glacier and Bears
Video: Loop of British Columbia Part 2: Cassiar Highway, Salmon Glacier and Bears (The part 1 video is part of the first post)
A Loop of British Columbia, End of the Cassiar Highway
A Loop of British Columbia, The Alaska Highway
Video: Loop of British Columbia, Part 3: Telegraph Creek and the End of the Cassiar Highway
A Loop of British Columbia, The End of the Road

Thanks for that great trip to take us back to 1990 on our first visit there.
We arrived by the Alaskan Marine Hwy ferry Aurora a very small one.I think it's still moored in
Ketchikan waiting for some one to buy it.
The Bear Glacier was almost out to the road just a small lake in front.
Then by our visit in 2009 it had retreated back into the valley.
Yes that border crossing is very strange.
Thanks again for the trip.
On our two visits to that area we had a great time.
There are photos on my blog site about the 2009 visit.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom