3 weeks in June CO-UT-AZ-CA

JCatt

Advanced Member
This summer taking our Hawk with two of my boys, 11 & 9 on a 3 week camping/off road adventure in June. Our ultimate goal is my home area of SLO on the central coast. Along the way we will mostly be following the Fun Treks guide books. I don't have much of a plan for CO although there are a lot of interesting ares that we could do. In UT Canyonlands & Arches, will likely stay in the eastern areas in the mountains but would also like to explore other areas as well. AZ I'm thinking Canyon de Chelly, maybe something else on the north rim, and then to the south rim for sure. From there DV although it will obviously be hot. I was thinking of spending a time on the valley floor in the morning and then heading up to Mahogany Flat or Thorndike to camp, if the road is OK. Another area I'm thinking we could could stay is up in the Lone Pine/Whitney Portal area. Then up 395 and cross over up north, then south to the central coast. On the CC we will probably stay at Montana de Oro, Pismo, MB, or with relatives. Anyway if anyone see this big silver monster with a Hawk on the back, its probably us!
Jeremy, Charlie, & Ed.
img_98357_0_ef408548f1c3d91dea12a80fcdd23382.jpg

Checkout Dinosaur National Monument in CO/UT and camp on the Green River. How much lift do you have on your truck?

Instead of Whitney Portal think about the White Mountains. Not much difference in distance.

We are in eastern Colorado now. Got a late start and have to cut it a little short due to a couple herniated discs that required some attention before we left. Today we will head to the Great Sand Dunes and stay for a day or so. Then probably Black Canyon of the Gunnison, then Mesa Verde. After that either AZ or UT, I really want to spend a lot if time in UT.

Edit: most likely Mesa Verde then Black Canyon after the dunes.

When in Utah, if close to Lake Powell worth the stop!

Great Sand Dunes, What a Mystical Place, catching it on a Full Moon, I am so envious!

Back
Top Bottom