32 Years in the Making

CPT Davenport

El Pescador
32 years ago when I first settled in Old Town Davenport, I had a neighbor that was a woodworker. He made one thing and one thing only, a rocking chair. I use to help him around the shop and pick his brain. He was a major inspiration for my love of woodcraft. He is getting old now and who knows how much time he has left in this world. I approached him last year and asked if he thought he had one more rocker left in him. This Saturday we will be picking up our custom rendition of his now famous rocker. Made of spalted, tiger maple with a paprika leather for a pop of color. His rockers are the most comfortable seat you have ever felt and I already feel a nap coming on. It took me 32 years but I finally got a rocker from ole Bud.

Attachments

• IMG_0226 (1).jpg
    IMG_0226 (1).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 74
Wandering Sagebrush said:
That’s a beautiful rocker, not to forget it looks really comfortable! An heirloom treasure to hand to the next generation.
We have not even picked it up yet and my oldest daughter is already claiming it when we kick the bucket!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Great to see craftsmanship isn't dead.
Frank
I have been blessed to learn from some amazing old world craftsman. At the age of 19 I apprenticed under a master boat builder for several years. I then worked with some extremely talented cabinet makers, furniture builders and luthiers. I did the same thing as I did with the rocker with my all time master mentor a few years ago. He ran a dulcimer shop back in the 60s and 70s. I said, hey Howard do you think you have one more dulcimer in you? He surprised me with the most amazing gift of a custom work of art, complete with shamrocks for sound holes and Irish flag banding. I picked out the curly redwood for the body from an old stump laying around his shop. I hope our future generations will still find value in building beautiful things by hand that are not completed in minutes by a machine, but built with patience, heart, soul, dedication and humility.

Attachments

• IMG_1680 (1).JPG
    IMG_1680 (1).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg