4 Days In Pcacho SRA

chnlisle

Post Master
A quick note to John and KC. OK I'm now a believer in lists. I forgot the propane canisters for the outdoor stove so Pam cooked everything on the Smokey Joe with the exception of coffee. I mad that inside on the range. I will now have a list.

We arrived in Picacho and in keeping with my tradition of doing something really stupid I fell off of and through the step stool grinding skin off both legs. I love traditions .

Attachments

• Copy of Picacho 032.jpg
    Copy of Picacho 032.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 407
  • Copy of Picacho 013.jpg
    Copy of Picacho 013.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 428
I still have no idea how to caption pix here so I'll do what I usually do and post These things in separate frames.

The campsites here are actually very nice for an organized camping area. They all have water and a "ramada" with picnic table. There's plenty of space between campsites with lots of trees and brush for privacy, The place is a bit too civilized for my taste but we did enjoy our selves

There's lots to see and plenty of places it hike. The once might Colorado is a bit more than a trickle but not like it used to be. There were a lot of kayakers and people fishing but if your looking for a Havasu experience it aint here. Nice and quiet and relaxing. Pam and I had just got back from a 3 mile hike with Rambo The Wonder Chug. It must have seemed like a thirty miler to his little legs.

Attachments

• Copy of Picacho 003.jpg
    Copy of Picacho 003.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Copy of Picacho 030.jpg
    Copy of Picacho 030.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 405
  • Copy of Picacho 044.jpg
    Copy of Picacho 044.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 403
We did a lot of riding and hiking. The Lake Stewart hike is the one I enjoyed the most. Lots of up and down and very narrow track. Lake Stewart is a marsh on its way to becoming a meadow. It is I'm not a hiker but Pam is and ... well you guys know how that goes.

Picacho Peak is visible from just about everywhere.

Attachments

• Copy of Picacho 052.jpg
    Copy of Picacho 052.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 399
  • Copy of Picacho 057.jpg
    Copy of Picacho 057.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 410
Nice trip and pics Jay...looks like you guys had fun.

And no trip is complete until somebody bleeds!!:D

Tequila is a good way to clean a wound, but I can think of better uses for it.
Lists are a must, even when I keep my camper packed all the time. ;)
I really like how your bikes fit on the back of your truck. Close and tight. :thumb:
I wish that right now, I was where you took your 4th picture...it makes me want to go swimming.

What kind of temperatures did you have? It looks warm enough during the day.

Ed,
Daytime temps were in the mid 70's when we left. none of the kayakeres had wet suits or wet shorts on. As the temps go up I'm told the mosquitos get fierce. There is a lot of standing water in the marshes. We always bring 100% deet its the only thing that works for me. Pam never gets bit because of the smorgasboard the critters call Jay.

Tom,
The nice thing about this place is its right on the AZ-CA border so its relatively close. About 4 hours for me probably the same for you. 29 minutes for Les. You're right, becuase I was wounded in '69 I drink all I want.

And that's what it's all about!

Nice to see you out enjoying some fun in the sun. A little history, some hikiing & biking, great scenery, some bloodshed... I love a trip that has a little of everything.

:thumb:

Thanks for the write-up and pictures Jay.

We did a day trip to Picacho with friends on 3/7 and had a good walk on the Stampmill Trail (think that was what they called it...near the boat launch on the right as you come in).

We hope to spend a few days there next winter and try fishing for flatheads and stripers.

This is a flick I took on the way in...looks like it's real close to one of yours:
Picacho 1M WTW.jpg

Off the subject...

I just finished putting together a trailer that looks a lot like the one from Harbor Freight that you had...took me 10 hours to put that sucker together! Hope it works good for the camper.

Trailer

I spoke with Kyle "rockcrawler" about the very same thing last week. That thing was a mother to put together. But it works well but if you use a trailer jack dont attach it to the metal that the hitch is attached to. its too weak put it on the cast piece in front.

Attachments

• 42709.gif
    42709.gif
    18.2 KB · Views: 146
I'll vouch for Jay's system, I've been using it w/ much success. I'm even using the smaller trailer model, it's totally overloaded but it works fine for moving in/out of the garage. Total PITA to assemble indeed!

Also been using it in conjuntion w/ this:

Attachments

• dolly.jpg
    dolly.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 147
Good Information

Jay...Thanks for the heads up on locating a trailer jack.

I've got a couple old jack stands that I intend to use for starters, under the corners, like in the picture you posted some time back. Suni's trailer mover combined with a folding trailer jack (or just a folding support) seems like it would work good for my gravel (closer to mud and ice right now) driveway.

Suni...I could use that puppy with the skiff trailer too. Thanks:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom