4Cyl 4Wd Tacoma Extended Cab With A 4Wc Or Atc?

Well, I have one of those 4 cyls with probably one of the most fully loaded Bobcats and agree with Argonaut20. In regard to the Flippac, unfortunately they aren't waterproof. You have to put a tarp over them. I did want one, but we go way too many places where it may be raining. I wasn't intending to end up with a fully loaded Bobcat though, but at the time the deal was so good I couldn't control myself. The funniest part was that my wife couldn't believe I'd do it. Its been one of the better things I have done.

Darryl

well, I got the 03 double cab 4x4 with the 3.4L V6 Engine. With a loaded Bobcat, wife, two kids and dog we might be a little heavy and overloaded, but it does work.

The V6 is nice and I usually don't go faster than 65 mph, usually less than that. Mileage without camper is about 18 to 20 m/g (driving really carefully). With camper this goes down to 16 and less. On our last trip through southern Mexico and the mountains I only got 11 m/g with an average speed of 24 miles p hour!

I think the 4 cyl should be enough for most of the year without the camper, for the few times you take the camper out you just relax and take your time.

I've seen Hilux and Tacomas in central america and the Caribbean working for years, way overloaded every single day on really bad roads. They crawl and smoke up the hills but they get where they have to go.

The poor mileage of the 6 cylinder engine is an argument in favor of the 4 cylinder. Speed and acceleration are not that much fun when you have to pay at the pump. But, in 03 the 6 cyl was the only engine for the double cab with 4x4.

So, for me I would choose the 4 cylinder, it's just the little engine that could.

By the way, I highly recommend 8 ply (load range D) tires on the little trucks w/ FWC. It makes all the difference in the world.

Without multiple coolers full of beer and ice (and no beer gut to haul), I find the 1/2 ton Toyota does just fine!

Back
Top Bottom