4th generation Tacoma

rubberlegs

back country campers
Toyota announced the "all-new" 2024 Tacoma today. It has a hybrid engine and one model has 33" tires.

It'll be interesting to see how this will work for truck camping, like what the payload is, and if the 4WD capability with the hybrid engine is any different. Will the electric motor drive two wheels, and the gas engine the other two wheels? What's the mileage, and will there be more range?

It'll be nice to capture energy braking down hill -- perhaps extending the range if the battery is large enough. Our Prius will only do that for a few miles in steep terrain, due to a pretty small battery.

Or will the weight and volume of the hybrid system reduce its capability?

I've seen the hybrid Tacoma with the I-Force Max on YouTube.

The electric motor will be behind the 4 cylinder, 2.4 Liter turbo gasoline engine in the transmission bell housing. It will have over 400 ft./lbs of torque available at 1700 rpm.

I understand that there is one at Overland Expo this weekend. Not being in the market, we elected not to wander over and look.

Does the new Tacoma still use C-channels for the frame under the bed or have they moved to box channels?

Seems the press release and Toyota’s website is really pushing the power aspect of the hybrid.

rubberlegs said:
Any info on payload and where the battery pack is located?
I'm a bit skeptical - but payload on the model above the TRD Pro, which is the Trail Hunter, was listed at 1700 lbs.

The NMH battery pack for the hybird is located in a compartment beneath the rear seat cushion. Interestingly, the vehicle's starter battery is also located beneath the rear seat cushion on the driver's side of the truck..

Probably the starter battery can't fit with a motor and engine under the hood. Our Prius 12V battery isn't in that crowded area either.

Back
Top Bottom