4WD trails in Wyoming's Wind River Range

Dipodomys

Advanced Member
Perhaps this should be in the dedicated thread for the eclipse, moderators please move it there if more appropriate.

I'm looking for dispersed camping along the path of the eclipse totality. Especially given the predicted crowds, a remote 4wd road up in the mountains seems ideal. Something south of HWY 26 (or not too far north of it) would work well. Do any of you have recommendations? Bosque Bill seems to have found a good spot at lower elevation, and I've sent him a PM about the possibility of joining him there, but I'm hoping to have options among which to choose after looking at cloud forecasts on Saturday and Sunday.

Gregory

From Pinedale WY take the road north to Green River Lakes on the north end of the Winds. Union Pass Road heads north and then east off of Green River Lakes Road. The road does continue over Union Pass and down to the Dubois area. There are numerous dispersed sites and roads off of Union Pass Road. I know one couple who are most likely already there. All these roads are dirt and should be near the middle of the zone of totality.

Copy and paste these coordinates into Google Earth for a feel of the area.

43°30'24.25" 109°51'16.32"W

Thanks, ski3pin! That looks perfect. Lake of the Woods looks ideal, but lots of options up there.

ski3pin said:
From Pinedale WY take the road north to Green River Lakes on the north end of the Winds. Union Pass Road heads north and then east off of Green River Lakes Road. The road does continue over Union Pass and down to the Dubois area. There are numerous dispersed sites and roads off of Union Pass Road. I know one couple who are most likely already there. All these roads are dirt and should be near the middle of the zone of totality.

Copy and paste these coordinates into Google Earth for a feel of the area.

43°30'24.25" 109°51'16.32"W

Question and then information: First, is Nov 1-10 to late to take our Tundra/Hawk into Green River Lake?

I rode my off road motorcycle with a group on the BOM '17 [2,493 miles of dirt] and we came down from Hwy 26 to Atlantic City over Union Pass and through Pinedale...lots of dispersed camping along the route to and from Union Pass and an easy drive in a 4x4 just watch for oncoming traffic...great views of Wind River Range...from the North and then south end at Atlantic City [went to Shoshoni, Ten Sleep and on to Cody...all dirt].

Thanks for any tips on how late it too later for Green River Lake. Or other options for our Tundra/Hawk.

Phil

These folks should know -

Pinedale District Office
Bridger National Forest
29 East Fremont Lake Rd.
P.O. Box 220
Pinedale, WY 82941
307-367-4326

ski3pin said:
These folks should know -

Pinedale District Office
Bridger National Forest
29 East Fremont Lake Rd.
P.O. Box 220
Pinedale, WY 82941
307-367-4326

Many thanks; just called; they never shut the road in/out but snow can and will... we will check before leaving here in NE Oregon [two day trip] but only snow on road in/out will be a show stopper not low temps...

Still unclear how I will prevent plumbing from freezing in the Hawk...even with hot water heater and furnace...got to put on the thinking cap ...while two quarts of vodka in the system may work but is not our style :D ....

Phil

I know that road can be a mud pit after a good 2 day rain event! I had my hawk/ tundra stabbed at spots trying to keep momentum up on my way out. The guy at the $.25 wash in pinedale wasn't too happy I left 150# of sticky goo in one bay. Your off road trip sounds stellar what machine did you use?

hebegebe said:
I know that road can be a mud pit after a good 2 day rain event! I had my hawk/ tundra stabbed at spots trying to keep momentum up on my way out. The guy at the $.25 wash in pinedale wasn't too happy I left 150# of sticky goo in one bay. Your off road trip sounds stellar what machine did you use?

I hear you on the goo...truck '05 Access Cab winter/tow packages/ '16 Hawk with full kit...dirt ride on BOM '17 was on a new to me, and kitted out, '08 WR250R. My main off road bike since '07 was my BMW R1200 GSA [also kitted out entirely for off road] but last year on the BOM '16 I finally got injured enough to consider and then buy a smaller bike...funny, now have serious tendon/nerve issues in entire right arm after the BOM '17 .. 14 days of 6-8 day off road pounding on WR...takes a lot more pressure with my two finger brake application on WR and my front brake is used 95% of the time off road so my right arm sucked from braking and throttle and death grip!

Anyway we are either running to Green River Lake or Steen Mountain depending on weather conditions at that time...still trying to sort out how to prevent pipes from freezing in Hawk...want to spend a week at either site then move to another primitive area...

Phil

Phil, Green River Lake is beautiful. We didn't do it justice, arriving around 4pm and leaving in the morning. The Continental Divide Trail runs along the lake. Great camping sites. The mountain views, with Flat Top Mountain are great. Check my blog for last falls Wyoming/Montana trip. jd

longhorn1 said:
Phil, Green River Lake is beautiful. We didn't do it justice, arriving around 4pm and leaving in the morning. The Continental Divide Trail runs along the lake. Great camping sites. The mountain views, with Flat Top Mountain are great. Check my blog for last falls Wyoming/Montana trip. jd

Thanks! Green River lake Bound if at all possible...appreciate the information..

Phil

Back
Top Bottom