6 Cyl Tacoma

Darryla

I am hoping to get some advise form those who know the Tacoma. I have a 2001, std cab, 4x4, 4 cyl Tacoma automatic. Actually, I really like it and I have my fully loaded Bobcat on it. But, I have thought it would be nice to have 6 cyl for the power. Anyway, I found a clean 1995, 6 cyl, std cab, 5 speed. The drawback, 220,000 miles. My mechanic friend who is really good, says forget it. He says if I have to rebuild the engine, it won't be worth it.

What do you guys think? I could use an addition truck and I could get it for $3000.00

Darryl

Too much money for too many miles...

In early '95 the 6cyl was the 3.0, aka the 3.sl0. Not a bad motor but it had head gasket issues and was never very fuel efficient. Towards the end of the '95 production year, they switched over to the 3.4ltr, possibly the best 6 cyl Toyota ever produced. But those first '95 3.4ltr's also head a head gasket issue. It wasn't until later in '96 that they resolved the headgasket issue.

If you've found one of the rare standard cab's with a 3.4ltr, congrats. They are rare trucks. But I still think your $3K could be spent on a truck with lower miles and a more solid engine.

Too much money for too many miles...

In early '95 the 6cyl was the 3.0, aka the 3.sl0. Not a bad motor but it had head gasket issues and was never very fuel efficient. Towards the end of the '95 production year, they switched over to the 3.4ltr, possibly the best 6 cyl Toyota ever produced. But those first '95 3.4ltr's also head a head gasket issue. It wasn't until later in '96 that they resolved the headgasket issue.

If you've found one of the rare standard cab's with a 3.4ltr, congrats. They are rare trucks. But I still think your $3K could be spent on a truck with lower miles and a more solid engine.

My guess is at 220,000 mi. that motor has had at least one head gasket job done, probably two, if you can't do the job yourself, it's a least $1500 in most shops. At 220000 mi the bottom end is getting pretty tired, listen to your mech. he gave you good advice. Time will tell, but I think the 4.0 is the best v6 yet, but remember none of the Toyota v6s get very good milage, they make the most power, it takes fuel to make power.

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate it. To make a long story short, it may have been a scam. The guy gave me this story about going to Afganistan and how I could pay him on Auto Trader and he would ship me the truck via military transport for free. The truck was originally in Riverside, now in Ohio. I was thinking of offering maybe $2500.00 as I do like to work on old cars and if it was the 3.4 engine it may be fun. I have restored a few other cars. Anyway, I tried to send an e-mail to auto trader and it would not go through. "The message came up that it may be a scam". I sent an e-mail to the seller and haven't heard back. I will let you know if I do.

Just remember, always check these things out. You have to be careful on the internet. Even if the sites look real.

Darryl

Well, I never heard from the Scammer "seller" after I told him I checked him out and it came up scam. Be careful buying anything on the internet.

Darryl

Back
Top Bottom