6 days, 2 kids, a dog. And Mom and Dad

CALIcamperdad

We packed up the 2010 2.5L Subaru OB hitched up the 4x6 trailer and headed north up 101 June 27th. There was talk of a heat wave. It wasnt till I happen to glance over at the outside temp as we were passing through Cloverdale, that I suddenly backed off our 65-70mph push. 102 degrees!!! What!!!!
I didnt want to cook the Subaru, pushing hard to get north.
As it turned out the Subaru was perfectly happy and posting 21mpg as we hustled it north. We pulled into Burlington campground Avenue of the Giants around 8pm. We left the Bay Area at 2pm. Its farther than I thought!
I reserved site 33 back in March. I was hoping it was a sunny spot.

Ok
So our plan was base camp for 6 days at Burlington. Then do lots of day trips with a few days just hanging out. The 4yr old was also being weaned off stroller dependence cold turkey.
We hiked Founder Grove, Rockefeller Grove, Lady Bird Johnson grove, fern canyon. Walked by a Rosevelt Elk. Horse with a rack! Ate dinner in Trinidad what a town! Skipped rocks in the eel river.
We explored old town Eureka. Drove to Petroilia on Mattol Rd. Saw some real Humbolt farming action whew stinky!!! Interesting history that town has.

Lots of lazing around camp, playing wiffle ball, frizbee and lots of reading.
In all we did about 1000 miles over 7 days with lots of hiking.
Great trip

Sounds like a great way to spend seven days! Agree on the horse with a rack and Trinidad. You are getting us thinking about the coast again. Thanks for the post! :)

Back
Top Bottom