70 Years Ago - September 2, 1945

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
My Father-in-Law reminded me that today is the 70th anniversary of the official end of the Second World War. On September 2, 1945 the Japanese signed the Instrument of Surrender on the deck of the USS Missouri. A 20 year old Marine Corps Corporal in the Pacific, now a ninety year old man, remembers it as if it was yesterday.

Interesting! I'd always though it was 8/15/45, but I guess that was just the formal surrender. Thank goodness for all the Marines, soldiers and sailers of that generation. They have my ultimate respect for the sacrifices they made... for us.

Semper Fi, give your father-in-law my sincere thanks!

I can well imagine a 20-year old Marine corporal remembering the end of the war in the Pacific with absolute clarity, even 70 years later. Few can imagine the Hell on earth those Marines endured. Semper Fi.

Foy

Foy said:
I can well imagine a 20-year old Marine corporal remembering the end of the war in the Pacific with absolute clarity, even 70 years later. Few can imagine the Hell on earth those Marines endured. Semper Fi.

Foy
It is difficult to grasp even a fragment of what he (and others) went through. He drove amphtracks, he calls them alligators, in five major invasions including Tinian, Saipan, and Okinawa. His story includes Navajo Code Talkers and being on Tinian when the atomic bomb was loaded onto the Enola Gay. In retirement, he and Mom began attending 2nd battalion annual reunions. He never spoke much about the war years prior to this. Eleven years ago they both attended the 60th anniversary event of the Battle of Saipan. He is one of the few left. Semper Fi.

If you want to learn more about what the folks in the Pacific went through, read Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed", about his experiences on Peleliu and Okinawa. The movie "The Pacific" was based largely on this book. It is hard to understand the horror that our military went through as they fought their way towards Japan.

Semper Fi

Wandering Sagebrush said:
If you want to learn more about what the folks in the Pacific went through, read Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed", about his experiences on Peleliu and Okinawa. The movie "The Pacific" was based largely on this book. It is hard to understand the horror that our military went through as they fought their way towards Japan.

Semper Fi
Absolutely "must reading" for those wanting to learn of the horrors experienced by Marine combat troops in the Pacific. I have read it twice.

Foy

Wandering Sagebrush said:

Semper Fi
Thanks for info, Mr. Sage :)

I too, have read that book twice. The descriptions of the horror, the stench, and the unbelievable conditions that these men endured are more powerful than you can imagine. Not to hijack, but a quick side story. My uncle (who lived in New Jersey and has since passed away) was part of the attack on Iwo Jima and he attended unit reunions every two years. About thirty years ago there reunion was in Oceanside, CA, near Camp Pendleton. My wife and I lived in southern California at the time and we went down to visit my aunt and uncle on the last day of the reunion at a motel in Oceanside. At the end of the evening all of these Iwo Jima veterans gathered around the motel swimming pool, held hands, and sang the Marine Corps Hymn. As I had been a Marine, they allowed me to join the circle. It was one of the most touching moments of my life. These guys were truly something! - Semper Fi

I have not read the book but I saw the movie and it was dark and depressing. I have always admired those who serve this country but I gained a much deeper respect for those marines after watching that. Thanks to your father-in-law for his service. You should get his stories on video as it is a part of history we should never forget. Oo-Rah!

Back
Top Bottom