'74 alaskan heater

jhg

Does an '74 Alaskan CO heater vent to the outside, or do all years and models use heaters venting inside.

The one I am looking at has the heater under the cooktop, left of the door as you go in.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the Alaskan section at WTW.

Joshua

Does an '74 Alaskan CO heater vent to the outside, or do all years and models use heaters venting inside.

The one I am looking at has the heater under the cooktop, left of the door as you go in.

Joshua

Both of my Alaskans came with catalytic heaters as original equipment. They do not vent to the outside. One I replaced with a new Wave 3, didn't trust the older one, the second works great. You just have to use good judgment with a non vented heater, even a good catalytic model.

Joshua

Whatever you do, buy and install a CO detector! I have used my camper in below zero weather I cracked 2 windows for ventilation and we were very cozy. Just be sure to wipe the window frames a couple of times a day to get rid of the condensation. I have an ancient catalytic heater in my '64 NCO and it works great. HOWEVER, be sure to check the battery in your CO detector before every trip.

Here is my camper spring checklist:
clean interior and exterior
check interior and exterior lights
check license and tab
check gas fittings
check CO battery
check window rubber and overhead vent seal
What is on your list?

Mike

I can honestly say that a cheap hardware store CO detector saved the lives of my then 12 year old son and myself October 2006. At the time I wouldn't have thought to install one. It was installed by the previous owner.

The quick details were I had an exhaust gasket failure on the on board generator for my motorhome I had at the time. Didn't sense anything out of the ordinary. Thought it was a false alarm until I restarted the generator after venting the cabin and noticed a miniscule puff of dark exhaust come up under the dinette bench when it first started. A minute later and the alarm went off again.

Point is our safety systems mean nothing till they do their job. When they do their job they must perform flawlessly. Smoke and CO detectors. If you don't have them, GET THEM!!!

So ALL Alaskan heaters vent into the living space.

And nobody has installed a direct vent heater to replace the OEM one? Why not?
I have a lot to learn about camper systems...

Joshua

So ALL Alaskan heaters vent into the living space.

And nobody has installed a direct vent heater to replace the OEM one? Why not?
I have a lot to learn about camper systems...

Joshua

This was how things were done back then-mine is a '64 model. The newer Alaskan Campers are vented to the outside.

Mike

Thanks. I have found some aftermarket heaters for RV's online and may go that route at some point. But first I have to find my own Alaskan. I will certainly heed the advice regarding co2 detectors etc, whatever I use.

Joshua

Back
Top Bottom