8’ NCO Water Tank Dimensions Needed

Nailhead

basset hound
Can someone provide me with those dimensions? My water tank leaks as fast as it’s filled (with drain valve closed, and no leaking bulkhead fittings), and the camper is parked 150 mi. away.

Thank you.

thisoldcamper said:
The water tank in my 1978 8' NCO measures:
36" long, 8" wide, and 16" tall - not including the fittings.
Thank you very much for that. I guess I'll have to call Alaskan, because I can't find any water tanks online with that vertical configuration.

While working on the water line from tank to hand pump, I saw that one of the clips had been moved off the hose so I checked the rest of the fittings and hose to determine if anything was leaking as I filled up the tank. I found that some rags I was using that were set in next to the camper, behind the wheel well were wet.

This concerned me so I stopped the filling and then I found that there is an over-flow hose coming down the pass side of the camper that had been tucked in behind the tailgate that water was coming out of. I redirected that hose down and out of the truck bed and after letting it drain completely, resumed filling the tank. Then the over-flow hose began letting water out.

I figured that water was spraying around inside the tank to the extent that while I had barely 1/4 tank of less in there, it was hitting the fitting where the over-flow hose was attached and letting water flow out.

The solution I found was while I was filling the tank...was simply to turn down the pressure from the hose bib and then the over-flow tube stopped running.

Seems weird that was happening, but I continued to fill the tank with water (and bleach) to clean/sanitize it prior to actually using the water with no more water exiting the tank. I let it sit overnight after a short jaunt down the road to mix up the water and bleach in there and then drained it the next day. I refilled it again s-l-o-w-l-y the next day with no signs of leakage.

I thought I had a cracked tank as well, but was lucky to not only find a loose hose clamp, but I discovered that filling fast isn't the best way to do it at least unless you redirect that over-flow tube out of the truck and down towards the ground.

huskyrunnr said:
I replaced mine with one from Broadmoor RV. I think they jack up prices though. Mine was only 30" long but here's one with thisoldcamper's dimensions:

https://broadmoorrv.viaretailparts.com/10-1178

Not sure if the fittings are in the right spot for you on this one ...
Thank yo very much for that! The fitting location shouldn't matter too much, since I can modify the piping as needed.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I’m not familiar with the material that Alaskans use for their tanks but Valterra has an ABS unit with those exact specs. Avaialable at Camping World or on the net.
The material used for my '69 is some sort of hard plastic. ABS/Polyethylene would almost certainly be a better option. Thank you for the info.

PackRat said:
While working on the water line from tank to hand pump, I saw that one of the clips had been moved off the hose so I checked the rest of the fittings and hose to determine if anything was leaking as I filled up the tank. I found that some rags I was using that were set in next to the camper, behind the wheel well were wet.

This concerned me so I stopped the filling and then I found that there is an over-flow hose coming down the pass side of the camper that had been tucked in behind the tailgate that water was coming out of. I redirected that hose down and out of the truck bed and after letting it drain completely, resumed filling the tank. Then the over-flow hose began letting water out.

I figured that water was spraying around inside the tank to the extent that while I had barely 1/4 tank of less in there, it was hitting the fitting where the over-flow hose was attached and letting water flow out.

The solution I found was while I was filling the tank...was simply to turn down the pressure from the hose bib and then the over-flow tube stopped running.

Seems weird that was happening, but I continued to fill the tank with water (and bleach) to clean/sanitize it prior to actually using the water with no more water exiting the tank. I let it sit overnight after a short jaunt down the road to mix up the water and bleach in there and then drained it the next day. I refilled it again s-l-o-w-l-y the next day with no signs of leakage.

I thought I had a cracked tank as well, but was lucky to not only find a loose hose clamp, but I discovered that filling fast isn't the best way to do it at least unless you redirect that over-flow tube out of the truck and down towards the ground.
I really wanted the above scenario to be true, and looked diligently for leaking fittings. I also thought water might be coming out the overflow, but the tank continued to leak HARD after I turned the fill water off. I'm guessing it's split along the bottom, or something like that.

Bummer....I think you will find out if there is a split once you remove the tank. I know there are food-quality sealers available if finding a tank of the correct dimensions is a problem/costly/expensive to ship. Good Luck!

PackRat said:
Bummer....I think you will find out if there is a split once you remove the tank. I know there are food-quality sealers available if finding a tank of the correct dimensions is a problem/costly/expensive to ship. Good Luck!
The worst part of swapping out that bad tank will be actually getting it free of the woodwork surrounding it. Gonna require an archeologist's sensibility, I'm thinking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom