8' Cab over year?

Ripperj

I bought this a few weeks back. The previous owner thought it was an '85, but the interior looks like some of the older ones I have seen pictures of. I realize the basic camper is unchanged since the 50s, but thought the interior materials changed at some point?? are there any visual clues in these pics that would narrow down the year? I can not find a serial number anywhere.
Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• 20140201174744.jpg
    20140201174744.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 20140201174825.jpg
    20140201174825.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 20140201174844.jpg
    20140201174844.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 272
Here is the inside, which has had all the appliances removed.

Attachments

• 20140201174956.jpg
    20140201174956.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 279
  • 20140201174903.jpg
    20140201174903.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 264
I don't believe that one is an 85. During those years, typically, the interiors were a laminate on flakeboard...a problem which developed later. The interior of yours is a mix of Ash plywood and fir plywood....at least it appears to be from the photos.

Nice clean interior, an 8 footer "with" a stove/oven....or "without" but to be replaced maybe ;)

The registration serial numbers were typically on a plate at the rear drivers side but there were several builders and they may have placed it somewhere else on yours. Builders were usually required to have it in an exposed area for ease of inspection by state officials. Some states required them to be licensed with separate plates

Rusty, thanks for the input, the interior is all ply, nothing that looks like particle or flakeboard. I could have taken the stove/ oven, but it's a tank and I didn't really want it. I have a wood working shop and intend to make new cabinets. I have a new Arb fridge, SMEV stove and small double sink to install. I also bought an small 6gal water heater and 16k btu Atwood furnace. Should be a fun project. It's all in nice shape with no rot or damage except for around the "arch" on the top, but that's an easy fix, basically going to replace everything below the window and on the front vertical part before the curve to the top.

Attachments

• 20140202173053.jpg
    20140202173053.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 187
IMG_1589.JPGRipperj, I agree with Rusty.....it looks more like early 70's. Mine is a 74 and looks much like yours, same floor plan too. My serial number plate was unreadable but I found the number had also been stamped into the drivers side rear corner brace. Difficult to see in my picture, but it is there. It may have been stamped by a previous owner......so don't be surprised if you don't find it on yours. If you do find a number, 2nd and 3rd digits are the year built. As I said, mine is a 74, the seller thought it was a 67.
Nice looking camper!!!!!!!

wild

I looked again and am not able to locate a serial number, but I did find the warrantee card and manuals for the stove/oven and original heater, both had dates from either '83 or '84 , maybe someone upgraded the interior in the past, or maybe it was ordered with different interior build, I guess it doesn't matter, it's a real solid start to a nice camper, and puts me a year or more ahead of scratch building, which was my original thought.

could be someone had some remaining ash ply and decided to use it...you're lucky...BTW...!6k is a giant furnace for that camper....I don't even have a heater...camping in the rain is no problemo but in the snow it starts getting a bit chilly...

Ripperj, nice find. I have a 77 with the flake board interior. Yours looks much nicer. What sort of heater does yours have now. I have also considered a larger unit but looks like a newer Hydro Flame would not work without some cabinet mods. Also I like the look of the angle braces you have in the corner by the dinette. were those stock or added. I have been trying to find something like that but Lowes/ Homedepot has nothing like it. Good to brace the edges there if you use tie downs in the corners.

No way is that an '80s mine is a '65 and looks exactly like that except the windows and that whole cab over part.
Good looking rig.

I assume the braces are stock, but don't know for sure. I was expecting to find one under the counter top,inside the cabinets, but there is not one there. Maybe they figured the cabinet framing adds some stiffness. The interior was stripped when I got it, no heater was installed. The previous owner just used it for short trips to the beach and kept it real simple.

I ripped out and replaced all the wood along the bottom below the window. I found some pretty clear and straight red cedar 2x4s at Lowes, had to pick thru a lot to get 4 :). I ripped them into 2x2s and laminated them to a 1.5" strip of 3/4 ply. I replaced all the wood forward of the window, didn't really all need replacing, but I was geared up to do it, and it was already exposed, so why not!. Assuming the front part of the roof is solid, this will be the extent of majorish structure work, the rest will be all interior except for seals and caulk. I was lucky that the camper came with a whole roll of pirelli seal.

Attachments

• 20140217071306.jpg
    20140217071306.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 201
Nice work....it helps to have the background and tools for woodworking....it should be ready for the next 50 years!

BTW....there's a thread with a link for new eyebrows if you're interested....knowing that sometimes they come off a little tweaked.

good call on the cedar....ya gotta luv it when they have clears in stock ....under another grade ;)

Hey Rusty , by eyebrows do you mean over the windows, or the rain gutter stuff on the front and back? I saw the Vintage Trailer link, but would like to buy the rain gutter pcs.
Pouring thru all the posts, my hydraulic pump and the instruction label inside the jack door look like the ones from late 60s, also the breaker box is in a wooden box above the door like the 60s models, was the box in the same location for the newer years??

I believe Blueside has a breaker box inside his cabinets up front on the drivers side.

the eyebrows are over the windows and doors..the gutter at the seam is another issue...if you have to remove it..be very carefull...I haven't found a replacement location for that piece........yet

I ended up using the existing gutters...after removing and cleaning the gutters....I replaced them using butyl glazing tape and then doubled the screws at the curves ...that's where they tend to separate from the body and most of the damages have been done.
4ree.jpg

the link for the eyebrows

http://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/Drip_Caps.html

Thanks. I bought lots of Butyl tape, mines gray vice the black i see some spots.
This thread is turning into my rebuild thread, is there a way to change the title, to make searching later easier?

Finally stumbled upon a serial number, was lightly stamped into the bottom angle plate( the one between rear wall and floor bottom)
12784SD1457
So depending on who you listen to, it's a 27:) ,78 , or as I was told 84( owner thought 84 or 85)

Back
Top Bottom