80 lb lift assist

captainphx

Replaced the 60 lb lift assists that came with camper and installed these 80 lb ones. My wife like them much better.

IMG_0535.jpg

Good to know the 80s are working out for ya. I installed a pair of 60s awhile back and like them quite well, but I'll bet the 80s would make the lift essentially effortless. If I had a concern with the 80s it's the additional effort that might be necessary to drop the roof against that higher force, esp. if it's windy out. Please give us an update if you discover other pros or cons as time goes on. Thanks,
RicoV

I had 80 lb put on mine 2 weeks ago at the factory by FWC. They work well.

Good to know the 80s are working out for ya. I installed a pair of 60s awhile back and like them quite well, but I'll bet the 80s would make the lift essentially effortless. If I had a concern with the 80s it's the additional effort that might be necessary to drop the roof against that higher force, esp. if it's windy out. Please give us an update if you discover other pros or cons as time goes on. Thanks,
RicoV

Well, I wouldn't say it's effortless, but...... raising the rear of the roof is now, somewhat easier. Raising the front is much better. Lowering the front IS completely effortless. It is a two finger operation. Goes right down gently, easily. Haven't tried it yet in the wind, though. Although, when we had the 60 lbers, we did set up camp on a high ridge in Utah a couple of months ago, with the rear of the camper facing a 30-35 mph wind and after I unlatched the roof and then opened the rear door, the roof blew, up. Surprised me. Gave me the idea....what if, those fantastic fans were more turbine like, could set them to blow "in", shut the door, turn them on, and blow the roof up like a ballon!
laugh.gif

BTW, on our roof, is an aluminum luggage rack, yakima track, and solar panel.

Captain,

I was wondering if, in actual use, you think the struts intrude into access or use of the upper bunk? It looks like you could clothesline yourself in the dark while clambering out?

I don't really care for the look of the exterior struts so I hope the interior version is user friendly. This last camping trip made me think my bench pressing capabilities have declined as of late. :(

Thanks

Captain,

I was wondering if, in actual use, you think the struts intrude into access or use of the upper bunk? It looks like you could clothesline yourself in the dark while clambering out?

I don't really care for the look of the exterior struts so I hope the interior version is user friendly. This last camping trip made me think my bench pressing capabilities have declined as of late. :(

Thanks

The interior ones can be removed in about 30 seconds. Just press a small indent and they pop right off. I love my inside mounted struts. Mine are 80 lbs too.

When you are ready to lower the roof....they snap back on in a jiffy.

I got my camper in April with no lift assist. When I lifted the roof of the model Fleet at the factory it was no problem. Add a couple of vents and solar and I could barely lift the roof when I picked up my camper.

I looked at the external lifts quite seriously and read all the threads on this forum. I was at the factory two weeks ago and had a discussion with them about this. They do not recommend external struts for engineering reasons and they went through this with me. They even mounted one to a Fleet to show me the flexing and issues that they don't like with external mounts. Although owners obviously do this, and it seems to work, I was convinced it was not a good idea in the long run.

So, I had them install the internal lift with 80 lb struts. The mounts and brackets they use are very heavy duty. After a few days you don't even notice them. It is a non-issue for me and they make it much much easier to lift the roof. I think a lift assist is pretty much mandatory if you have anything on the roof.

Thanks guys for the info.

With the new FWC web site I can't seem to find the option prices. Don do you recall what the factory charged for struts and install?

$250. It seems they don't have a separate options list on the new web site. Pick a camper, and the options list is included with each one.

Captain,

Thanks

I am surprise by how little they hinder me, either getting in or out of the bed. Even sleeping they seem to not be in the way. As stated they can be easily removed. But there is sort of a little trick to it though. When prying on the spring steel cir clip, only pry up enough to remove the strut, don't completely remove the cir clip. If you pop off the cir clip, it is not that easy get them back on. The struts should be removed/installed with the roof "up". To install, I find it easiest to lift the roof up about an additional 1/4 inch from the up position, to get the struts onto their mounts. It's easy once you've done a time or two.

And, if you're feeling 'handy' it's real easy to do your own procurement and installation of the lifts. Just make another wood cross-plank ($4) to hold the bracket mounts and buy the appropriate Suspa-or-equivalent hardware ($85) and wood screws, add a little of your time, and they're in. This is what ours looks like:

Attachments

• fwc8.jpg
    fwc8.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 182
Jason - Can I add these to the factory installed struts that were installed several weeks ago?

Jason - Can I add these to the factory installed struts that were installed several weeks ago?

In theory the end fittings screw on and off, although I have had a bugger of a time trying to get one set off.

I believe so, but we have never used them. You should call Suspa to confirm this before ordering.

BTW, I now have a set of nearly brand new Suspa 60 lb lift assists that are 35.43 inches long with the 10mm ball ends for sale WITHOUT the mount brackets. Part number C16-10198. I will be posting this in Gear Exchange forum soon. Price $45.00 for the set plus shipping.

Back
Top Bottom