80's Hawk modifications to fit 2001 Tundra

Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone has modified the floor pack of an 80's Hawk Model to fit the bed of a 2001 Tundra or something similar? If so then what sort of process was involved in doing this? In searching for a camper I have come across many older campers that are too wide to fit my Tundra tailgate but they are very cheap. Any information on pro's, con's, how too's would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Its not just the floorpack, the front/rear of the campers aluminum frame will also have the same profile as the floor pack. That make sense?

Look at the picture below from the FWC website. I believe the older campers were 64" wide across the rear so that aluminum frame would be a similar width. If you tried to rework it and hang that part out the pack so as to not modify the frame you'd likely be partially covering your tail lights.
frame.JPG

SSS,

I've been thinking about this one too, was up in the garage looking at the Grandby last night to see what it would take and came to the same conclusion as Pods8 about the frame.

I think the frame mod could be done pretty easily by someone who had or had access to a mig/tig, might even be able to reuse the removed vertical. The tough part would probably be dealing with propane/water/appliance stuff.

I did a little search in WTW and came up with a ton of mods but none of the older FWC's EXCEPT the Fleets. I guess the Fleet models were narrow enough for the newer trucks (saw one on a Tundra yesterday) but they need to be raised up. You can find one or two of those mods with a search.

Seems like I remember a commercial outfit (maybe ATC?) doing a Keystone rework but I don't remember any pics/write-up.

If I ever get the house renovation done and the boat back in shape I'd like to try modifying an older one.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

...Look at the picture below from the FWC website...

Pods8,

I was wishing I had a picture of the frame last night but wasn't smart enough to look on the FWC site...thanks.

'birds

SSS,

Here is a pic of a '84 fleet model on a '02 Tundra..Good luck in your search.

Also, a pic of a FWC Ranger on a Tundra..

TT

Attachments

• DSCN1556.jpg
    DSCN1556.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCN2107.jpg
    DSCN2107.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 462
Thanks everyone for the info. Seems like the modification is doable considering I have welding skills and a workshop. Now it is just a question of when the right camper will show up in my neck of the woods. I would love to find a Ranger II but a Fleet would be fine especially for the price.
-SSS

SSS,

Here is a pic of a '84 fleet model on a '02 Tundra..Good luck in your search.

Also, a pic of a FWC Ranger on a Tundra..

TT

Twinsies except for the longer cab-over on the Ranger!

...Seems like the modification is doable considering I have welding skills and a workshop...
-SSS

SSS,

From the pics TT put up (and from the Fleet I saw on the Tundra the other day) it looks like a Fleet wouldn't take any mods for your rig...there wasn't a platform under the Fleet on the Tundra I saw here in Juneau and it doesn't look like there is under TT's either, and from the write-ups I've seen they fit (snugly) for width without mods. Could be a real sweet deal.

Sure will miss the write-up and pics of the mod if you find one though :p

Happy Trails,
'birds

Back
Top Bottom