81 FWC Blazer Pop-Up Rebuild

87K5

Going to use this to track the progress on my new 1981 FWC pop-up for my 87 K5 with 5.3/4L65E/NP208. Working on rebuilding and swapping in an NP241 with SYE.

My Wife and I drove from OKC, OK to Goldbar, WA to pick up the camper. Unfortunately, it was quite a bit more rough than we had thought / hoped. Ideally we would camp in it for a couple years, but it needs a full tear down.

The front wall was getting damaged from the wind and camper flexing with all the rotted wood on our trip back. The ceiling took a beating too from the wind. We are hoping the frame is still good and the issue is just cosmetic.

The whole trip was over 4,000 miles and unfortunately U-haul refused to do a one way rental on their 6x12 trailers (which were the only ones that would fit a standard topper). So I had to drag the 2200 lb trailer the whole way there and back. This was our first big trip with the truck after replacing the transmission with a 4L65E and re-doing the LS swap harness. I had put a couple hundred miles and 2 tank fulls through the truck driving it on shorter trips and giving it a shake down, but this was definitely a whole different thing. Over all I was really impressed with the truck. Our only real issue was the T-case still has a pretty good leak and the radiator cap failed in Limon, CO. Luckily we still had most of the coolant in the system, so topped if off and wasted a bunch of time to make sure there wasn't any air in the system. Then we drove to the nearest auto store which was in Aurora, CO.

I honestly lost track of how long it took us to get there and back. I know our first day was supposed to be ~ 14 hours and it took a little over 17 hours with very quick pit stops for fuel other than the radiator cap incident. I think the whole trip was pretty close to 71 - 75 hours of just drive time. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to hook up and test the cruise prior to leaving. We also don't have AC at the moment.

On the way back, as soon as we left I realized we were really going to have to slow down with the camper. We went through a construction zone and there was a couple of bumps that were like rounded off ramps that sent us into orbit. I am pretty positive both axles left the ground as we bounced over the worst section. Any time there was a double "whoop" section I really had to slow down and keep the front axle loaded to reduce the extreme rebound. I definitely need to move the front and rear bump stops. The truck didn't do too badly if the road was smooth and mostly straight, or if the wind was steady. However, it was straight up scary going through some of the twisty mountain roads, storms, and heavy winds. We actually had to run 40-60 MPH most of the way from WA to CO due to body roll, sway, and the truck getting into a bobble back and forth that just couldn't be corrected. We hit a big storm outside of Ogden, UT that was blowing over the construction signs and I was actually scared at that time, it took every thing I had to keep the truck under control at 40 MPH. I was so stressed out from driving the truck in bad conditions. Luckily the guys at ORD (Off-Road Design) saved us with their aftermarket front swaybar. The sway bar made all the difference in the world. Driving through the rest of CO, NM, TX and into OK we hit some major wind and dust devils and the truck was easily controlled. It still has some body roll and drives like a lifted truck, but it doesn't feel unstable or unsafe at all now. I also plan to move the upper shock mounts for the front to a better location because I know they are not ideal at the moment.

Day 1 we left Bethany (OKC), OK to head for a buddies house in Saratoga, WY.
Day 2 we drove from Saratoga to Pendelton, OR
Day 3 Pendelton to Goldbar, WA to pick up the camper. Then drove from Goldbar to Ellensburg. We hoped to make it to the top of Stevens Pass Hwy in time to watch the sunset over the mountains, but it was pitch black by the time we got even half way up the mountain.
Day 4 Ellensburg, WA to Ogden, UT.
Day 5 Ogden UT, to ORD in Carbondale, CO. We took Independence Pass through Aspen to Twin lakes and stopped for the night in Buena Vista, CO. Stopped off at Eddieline Brewing for some great pizza and beers to go.
Day 6 Buena Vista to Guthrie, OK to pick up the topper I plan to use for a front seal on the FWC. Then home to Bethany, OK.

Not sure why Google wont cooperate, it keeps freaking out about an intermittent road closure on Independence Pass, but its open to vehicles less than 35+ feet. Our truck and trailer measured in at 34 feet so we took the route. Had no issues and drove slow to be safe. It was absolutely beautiful up on the mountain and it was the best day of our trip by far. We knew from UT to OK was going to take 2 days and the stop at ORD was so quick we were able to spend a little time enjoying the drive and stopping off for something other than fast food for the first time all week lol.

I am still getting used to the upload tools and attaching photos here. It's kind of painful lol. I have a link to the album below with the routes we took and other pics of the camper installed on the truck before full tear down and rebuild.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/21963-img-20200828-144130/

Most of the tear down pictures are in the gallery. If anyone needs a specific angle or pictures of a specific thing, I may have it. I tried to take a ton of pictures on tear down for reference since its hard to find a whole lot of info about these older campers.

Link to gallery: https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/album/1436-81-fwc-blazer-pop-up-tear-down/

Once we finally got home we unloaded the truck, did a quick assessment of the campers condition and started talking about future floor plan.

The front wall has some damage from the wind lifting and moving the camper around on the drive back. The camper flaps all of the place when behind a semi or if one passes (which happened a lot lol). It also looks to have been painted several times, bondoed over, caulked to fix those issues and its all now separating and de-laminating. Shockingly, the over cab portion of the bed looks to be pretty solid. I plan to cover it with some aluminum sheet because its just painted exposed wood and the seam in the middle being exposed concerns me. I plan to also skin the front wall after I rebuild it too.

The side walls where the bed mounts to the camper are totally rotted. It looked to be un-sealed wood. The bolt holes were pretty terrible too. Luckily the guy who was helping the seller had some scrap steel and new bolts to use to clamp the top down better because the stock bolts and washers were completely folded up and pulled through the wood. The bed side portions of the camper also sag pretty badly. I assume it would be best to skin this part in aluminium for protection from the elements.

The counter is rotted and falling apart, pretty much all the interior wood is failing and very flimsy. Our current plan is to rebuild the kitchenette. we will probably remove the stove top in favor of using a Coleman camping stove since we will probably cook out side of the camper most of the time. This will eliminate carrying the weight of 2 stoves. Also remove the original ice box and eventually switch to a 12vdc cooler.

The top is in serious need of repair. It is just pretty beat and it flapped around the whole way back when the windows were cracked open. Both support systems are missing and its currently held up with 4 pieces of wood. The top holding down clamps are pulling away from the camper. Not sure what caused that other than maybe the top flapping up and down. They looks a little worse than when we first picked it up, but I might just be imagining that.

The door is also pretty trashed. It's bent, cracked, smashed, cut up. I need to figure out how to source some of the door channel so I can replace the bottom portion which is torn and cracked.

Both of us have pretty bad allergies and I have asthma so I am going to just gut the whole thing and remove all the likely moldy insulation and wood paneling.

The other big issue is the massive gap around the whole back end of the truck. Its like over an 1" of gap between the bed of the truck and the camper. Not sure how they sealed originally or how every one else is fixing this issue. The previous owner had a bunch of expanding foam that had gotten really gross and that was their seal. There has to be a good solution with a weather strip or something.

I got a sloppy frame built to set the camper onto for the rebuild. It's on casters so we can roll it out of the garage if we want. It looks like we will have to do that most of the time anyways because the camper pops up so tall as it is and if we are going to replace the pop-up portion we want to make it a bit taller so we can sit up in bed and I can stand up straight in the camper. I have to hunch over at the moment to keep from hitting my head when standing.

Side note: Anybody have a lead on replacement propane cubby / locker sheet metal? I can repair / rebuild the one I have, but it's probably going to be a pain.

Outside of completely gutting the camper, you are on the same page with what I ended up going through with mine. I'll be watching your progress because eventually I'll strip the interior down in mine again to reinsulate.

You've got a lot done so far and it's all been great. Keep it up. Camping season is only a few months away again.

I missed not having mine to play in the mountains over the summer, but I'll be hitting it hard next year.

87K5,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. You obviously have put your heart in this already, just describing what it took to pick it up. Sounds like you have a good plan moving forward as you tear down and begin to rebuild. Best wishes to you, and thanks for including photos, that’s what everyone loves!

Poky

Hi 87K5, and welcome to WTW. It’s the best place to hang out on the web. I noticed that like others you’re fighting with the upload process.

I am still getting used to the upload tools and attaching photos here. It's kind of painful lol. I have a link to the album below with the routes we took and other pics of the camper installed on the truck before full tear down and rebuild.”

Try adding your photos to a hosting site like here or Flickr, then copying the image address and pasting it into the Picture Icon dialog box. There are a couple of threads in the Member Support forum, or send me a PM if you need assistance.

Steve

Thanks, your help and the other K5 Blazer camper were some pretty great inspiration on this project. Pretty excited to get it up and going. Hope to make it to some of the CO, UT trail rides at some point with you guys!
Zoomad said:
Outside of completely gutting the camper, you are on the same page with what I ended up going through with mine. I'll be watching your progress because eventually I'll strip the interior down in mine again to reinsulate.

You've got a lot done so far and it's all been great. Keep it up. Camping season is only a few months away again.

I missed not having mine to play in the mountains over the summer, but I'll be hitting it hard next year.

PokyBro said:
87K5,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. You obviously have put your heart in this already, just describing what it took to pick it up. Sounds like you have a good plan moving forward as you tear down and begin to rebuild. Best wishes to you, and thanks for including photos, that’s what everyone loves!

Poky
Thanks!

I am pretty excited about this project. The truck has been in the family since new, I grew up in it, learned to drive in it and finally became the owner. My Wife and I talked for a couple of years about if we wanted to build a van, do a slide in camper, or a bumper pull. We finally decided to rebuild our own Blazer model Pop-up since it seemed like the best compromise and we could use the Blazer a bit more.

I have been working on cars for years, but the RV / camper stuff is all new to me. Kind of flying by the seat of my pants lol. Luckily this forum seems to be a wealth of knowledge and help. Hopefully my project can contribute to some of that.

Happy to inspire you to build this setup. Getting another Blazer Camper back out on the trail is great. We might have to organize a run together for sure.

You came to the right place for the camper knowledge. I've taken so much info and put to use in mine along the way. So grateful for the information for sure.

I disassembled my door this weekend. I knew it was in bad shape, but wow lol.

Most of the wood on the bottom 1/3rd and around the window had disintegrated from water damage. The bottom portion of the extruded aluminum door frame is 90% torn from being overworked without the supporting wood structure. I desperately need to find a suitable replacement for the frame.

I have been having a really hard time finding the extruded aluminum molding / trim online. I have found many similar looking items at places that sell pre-made RV doors and mobile home doors but none of these places have a parts listing or way to order just the part I need.

The generic h channel trim doesn't look like it will work without massive modification because the long portion on the h channel is 2" long and the factory door is closer to 1".

The size of wood in the door a super weird size too, of course. I measured the few intact portions at 1" x 1 11/16". So I will have to mill and rip wood, or just go with 1" aluminum tube and maybe shim the rest of the door with rigid foam insulation and soft insulation? Or?

If anyone has any LEADS ON DOOR PARTS I would be so very grateful.

The only other option I can see is spending a bunch of money on an AC/DC TIG welder and spending an insane amount of time repairing the door trim I do have, which is not a very sane option lol.

LINK to full album https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/album/1437-door-tear-down/

Well, crap. ATC said all they can do is build me a new door.

Have not heard back from Dexter Door yet but with the holidays it's not surprising.

At this point it's 475+ shipping for a new door. Plus the cost of aluminum sheets, insulation that I already have purchased to repair / rebuild the door.

Unfortunately, my windows will not match at that point either. The new door will have the new style rounded windows and all the others will be original.

Debating buying an ACDC TIG and wasting a bunch of time repairing the original trim

Seems to me that you could pretty easily build a wood framed door that was bonded together and then sealed with epoxy resin to keep the rot at bay. I know that polyester resin will attack the styrofoam insulation, but I don't think that epoxy resin does. Worst case, you have to paint the foam with latex paint before exposing it to either resin.
Food for thought anyway.

And by all means, if this is the leverage needed to enable the welder purchase then kindly disregard the above post. :)

I would say go the welding route. I would bet money that you will find cracked welds on the aluminum frame of the camper. This way you could also weld in some support pieces as needed.

Back
Top Bottom