88 and environs and not what I expected

craig333

Riley's Human
Sometimes our plans don't turn out as envisioned. I hadn't expected this one to even warrant a trip report.
I intended to do as I posted. By the time I had my gear loaded and the Jeep hooked up it was nearly dark already. At least I got some use out of the offroad lights. I only had to dim my lights once the entire way up the MET to my campsite. Wheres all the people? Not at my usual spot. I spent an hour looking for meteors but only saw one UFO.

Getting the top up with the kayak on wasn't too bad but I wouldn't do it if my back was hurting. I had a low temp of 55. Getting some more altitude sounds like a good idea. Off to see my buddy at Silver Lake. First oops. Its not open yet. I just assumed they opened Memorial weekend. Well I have a few more hours than I expected, on to hwy 88. I camped in the free camping area near the sno park. It was pretty packed with trailers and people. Plenty of time to get the kayak on the Jeep and head up to Scotts Lake.

I found out my kayak really isn't big enough for me and the dog but I tried it anyway. Hadn't gone far before Riley bailed out into the Lake. I hadn't planned on making him swim. I tried one more time before giving up as I really didn't want to go for a swim. This was going necessitate a change in plans as kayaking was good part of my plan. Back to camp. Here's Riley napping while I had lunch.

Then it was on up to Red Lake. If I'd known it was planted with Kokanee I'd have brought my fishing pole. On up to Carson pass. This is why having the Jeep along was so great. Not its offroad capability but the fact its slow. How many times have I driven right on by that little road there at the summit. I had no idea it led to the original emigrant route. Even saw another FWC there.

After returning to camp and having dinner Riley wanted another walk.We went across the highway where a locked gate has a people opening. Riley was having a great time running around off leash when I finally realized where I was.

Now I'm wishing I'd brought my Carson trail guide book. Now I have another plan. Maybe I can find more of the trail.

I was having breakfast Sunday morning when a guy comes through camp saying theres going to be a geology presentation up at Carson pass at 10 am. Sounds interesting. I arrive an hour early and decide to head back to Red Lake. I hiked up the old trail. I was thinking it was in good enough shape for automobile traffic and of course, as I found traces of the old pavement, confirmed that it was. Riley walking the "road" with me.

Later google earth told me it was called Red Vista Road. Found this marker nearby.

Back to the pass. I was expecting a short hike with geology sprinkled in. Turns out I was the only one who showed up besides the three Forest volunteers. We walked down to the old road and then they guy, not sure if he was a retired geologist or just a amateur geologist gave his presentation. He had a binder full of visual aids. He covered the gamut from plate tectonics, volcanism, glaciation and more. Felt like a semesters worth in an hour. Then since it was just us we got the bonus half hour on climate change. I learned a lot but it was time to get some more dirt under the tires. My plan was to go from Red Lake to Blue Lakes. This wasn't the best plan. I found out a bit later the road to blue lakes was gated about seven miles up the road. Not that it mattered because there was too much snow to keep going that way anyways. A handful of rigs parked at whatever that peak is where the road stopped had people hiking up with some sort of ski equipment. Now back to Blue Lakes road to look for more of the Carson trail. I figured it went up along the river. I now think it probably went along 88 at this point but I did find something interesting while exploring. The road was pretty steep and I nearly stopped to lock in the hubs but at the end I found this.

As near as I can figure its the brewer mine. This puts it at 1855 but clearly it been worked fairly recently. http://www.mindat.org/loc-74553.html I can't find listings for any other mines in that area. Even though it was now getting late I decided to try and find Crater Lake. I didn't have the right map for the area but my Eldorado NF map shows it, just not very well. Well I climbed a serious of steep switchbacks, no passing and definitely 4low on this one. Keep your eye on the road or you'll end up like this truck.

I was thinking I'd hate to run of gas on this stretch when thats exactly what happened. Good thing I'd topped off the Jeep cans before coming. I made it up to the mine. Was there supposed to be a mine on the way to Crater Lake?

There was another road that took off into the trees but it was impassable with snow. Time to head back to camp for dinner.

Well Riley and the kayak didn't get along but he demonstrated some mountain goat skills riding in the Jeep. Having to work early Tuesday I broke camp early and came on home.

Using google earth I think I turned off a mile or so too early and instead of the road to Crater Lake I made it up to either the Alpine mine http://www.mindat.org/loc-74477.html or the Alhambra mine http://www.mindat.org/loc-74473.html. Both close together. The road that was snowed in would have taken me to Crater Lake the back way.

Next time its more maps, guide books and maybe even the gps. I also went and visited woods lake for the first time. Still closed for snow but someone had been in before me. Very nice. In spite of the change of plans it was still a very good weekend.

Sounds like you did some good exploring, Craig -- fun with unexpected times. :)

OK...I don't live around there so I have to ask: What's "the MET" that you refer to?

Nice report Craig, I try not to get out on 3 day weekends. Nice bing retired.

MarkBC I would think MET would be Mormon Emigrant Trail. We have many great forest roads in the sierra's

billharr said:
MarkBC I would think MET would be Mormon Emigrant Trail...
OK, that sounds reasonable, thanks.
My guess would have been "May Expect Trouble".

MarkBC said:
OK...I don't live around there so I have to ask: What's "the MET" that you refer to?
Mormon Emigrant Trail is the route used by discharged members of the Mormon Battalion (Mexican - American War) to go east from Coloma, over the Sierra, and on to Salt Lake City. In the area of the Humboldt Sink they encountered the first of the 49ers headed west. The gold seekers followed the broken trail of the mormons and this became the Carson River Route of the California Trail and carried the vast majority of the 49ers of the great gold rush.

The road was improved to the fire lookout (no longer there, it was up in a large tree) on Iron Mountain and was called Iron Mountain Road. The forest road runs from (basically) highway 50 south to highway 88. In recent times the name was officially changed to Mormon Emigrant Trail. And, you must know the difference between emigrant (people leaving) and immigrant (people coming in).

The portion of road that carries the name "MET" follows the ridge from 88 down to Pollock Pines. As much a straight shot as any road can get. And when I retire I'll stop going on holiday weekends too. I should mention, I was expecting some some noise, a little partying going on where I was camped. Nothing. Hardly a peep after ten O'clock. No sign of the threatened thunderstorms either.

More trivia, the route actually splits not too far from Silver Lake. One heading towards Placerville the other taking a more southerly route. A trading post was setup at the split by one of the Plasse's, the same that have their name on the resort at Silver Lake. Not a trace of the trading post remains.

While I was napping these two women come in driving a pretty snazzy mercedes van of some sort. Big but not motorhome big. One comes up and asks me about the dog shelter. Paha Que but they no longer manufacture them (for some odd reason, I could sell a bunch for them). Only after they left did I think I should have asked for a tour of their rig and invited them to WTW.

Craig: We always did "dry land training" with our labs before taking them out on the water. Put the boat on the lawn and use lot's of treats (positive reinforcement training) to get Riley to jump in and out of the boat and to lay or sit quietly in the boat. Do this a number of times before taking him out on the water. Sit in the boat with him and use your paddle and lot's of treats and good dog words - and more treats. Getting dogs used to novel situations takes some time, but then you will hopefully have lot's of years to both enjoy paddling! Thanks for the trip report too!

Craig have you looked into the blow up ones from Advanced Elements? Airkayak.com has a full line.We have the two person one it's the blue one on their site.

Pork ribs. As for the kayak, I think I have an excuse to go out and a new one now :)

They run about a grand with some extras. Also make a single. We like ours it fits inside the camper no problem.
Just a thought.
Frank

Craig,

When you and the dog are ready to graduate from lawn training but not quite ready for a lake again, come on over. I have a friend that practices his kayak self rescue in our pool. A good place to get the feel of water but literally have someone standing by to help. Plus 85 degrees beats snowmelt.

I like these kind of trips- no agenda, be flexible when the need arises, take advantage of opportunities that present themselves. Be patient with the dog. He will eventually love riding in that boat. Our dog used to swim after us if we didn't take him along. Thanks for your report!

Back
Top Bottom