94' Ranger II help...

juno

Hello all!

I'm new to the board and have found all the info very helpful in my persuit of a camper...Lucky for me I'll be picking up a 94' Ranger II in a couple weeks and putting on my 2002 Tacoma 4x4. The camper is in great shape and I'll be posting pics soon. I know there's all kinds of info out there on mods, suspension changes, airbags and that all could be helpful so feel free...But I'm specifically asking what items I need to help with the pick-up and smooth transition. I.E...tie downs, wiring, jacks, spacers, tools, anything? Any good "reminders" will help...Looking forward to many adventures.- Thanks, J

If the Ranger II has the wings you may want to go prepared to remove them. They are narrow and can be a tight fit on the outside of your bed. Quarter inch hex head screws hold them on. You will need to do some trimming of the aluminum siding. There's a few posts here on how to do it along with photos.

Thanks!! I will do that...Any other tips are greatly appriciated...

Also our Ranger II has the tail lights. Be prepared to get them wired up enough to at least safely get the camper home. If you have a connector under your bumper for a trailer get a matching pigtail that will connect and be prepared to wire to the lead coming out of the driver's side back of the Ranger II. You can clean up all this later. I posted a topic on my ultimate fix for this.

I also had a problem with the water tank drain valve on the outside bottom edge of the driver's side contacting the top edge of my truck bed. I pulled the valve, unscrewed it, to get it loaded and modified it at a later date.

I just loaded the camper up, got the tail lights operating, and got the camper home. Then I took care of wiring the camper aux battery and electrical to the truck.

There are many folks posting on their suspension upgrades to Tacomas.

My bed had internal tiedowns I was able to temporarily mount turnbuckles to to get the camper home. Marty & Jeff at ATC helped me with placement of the i bolts in my bed and needed parts as I was remodeling our camper.

Welcome to the board!

Quite a few threads out there specifically addressing Tacoma suspension systems, but the consensus seems to be bilstein 5100 shocks, some form of rear airbags, and real sturdy tires.

As far as mounting - bolt it down and be done with it. Hopefully this Tacoma isn't your primary vehicle. Get a cheap bed mat to put under it before drilling to prevent squeaking, "walking", paint chipping/denting, etc..

Thanks so much for all the input. Looking forward to getting out and keep the suggestions coming...

check out my saga post, it's been a process... i've been learning as i go
Furnace install
auto faucet
battery
fridge rewire
etc
etc

Back
Top Bottom