A 79 C/O Alaskan with some improvements.

I had a lot of delaminating going on. I was able to re glue some most of it down but for good measure installed 3/4" aluminum angle over most of the corners. Covers any chips and will prevent it from ever lifting up again. ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012311.135568.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012326.280981.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012343.689191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

This was a pain in the butt until I figured out how it worked. I didn't have the pig tail for the camper lights so I removed the cover and hard wired in a new cord. It essentially runs into the camper, then I added another wire (direct to battery) before running it to the back of the truck to the trailer hookup. It runs the running lights as well as charges the battery when the truck is running. Lights weren't in bad shape but hardly any worked. Cleaned and replaced all the bulbs. Looks awesome at night. I need to figure out how I can tow the boat and use the same plug in. Maybe you can buy a splitter. ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012804.449465.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475012820.325415.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012838.035674.jpg

I think that's about it for now that's worth reporting. I did replace the hydraulic seals. Was successful on 3 but the 4th now leaks. Not a big deal. Just weeps a bit when you raise and lower it. Did some silicone work around the vents. Canoe works very well at diverting water off the roof now anyways. Alaskans are pretty cool campers. Warm, comfortable and unique. I carry a little space heater I plug in and keeps it toasty on cold nights. I also have a little buddy propane heater but haven't used it. I would recommend these campers to anyone. Of course I would advise you to start with a unit with good bones. I waited and searched for almost a year to get the one I thought was right for me. I missed out on a few during that time. When a good one comes up they don't last long. Summer up here has come to an end. I am dreaming of a trip down to the baja to escape the brutal winters here. Maybe next year. Anyway, if anyone has any questions about any of my work let me know.
Happy camping all!

Hey thanks for that Willy's. Exactly what I need.

Wow great project and great to see someone bringing back an Alaskan to its former glory. I've had my son camping since he was 6 months old and it gets easier and much more fun as they grow up. I was lucky enough to have a dad that took me and my brothers camping and some of my best childhood memories are camping in his hard sided pop up.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Thank you for the write up. Gave me some good ideas for mods on my Alaskan to include the bed-coral. Well done!

Nice shackbait
Enjoyed the read, looks like you should have a great time with your family on outings with the Alaskan.
Russ

Well done on that Camper! Nice mods too. Simple but yet very functional. I like it a lot! Do you have a weight on that thing after the mods? I have an F-150 (2008) and am thinking of an NCO for my truck. According to Bryan Wheat, the older NCO's are in the 1200-1500 lb range, which with a set of timbrens I think is eminently doable for me. Thanks for the awesome journal with pics!

Hey thanks for all the nice compliments! Just finishing up mounting a solar panel and made a mount for a large grey water can. I will throw those pics up when I'm done. Putting the camper away but still in the back of my mind thinking about the Baja this winter. My wife and boy are flying down to Davis California to visit her cousin and I figured if the dog and I did the long drive down we could pick them up there and just keep heading south. Anyway it's an idea. I thought the solar panel would come in handy when no hookups are available.
I'm sorry to say but I don't have an official weight. There is a truck scale out of town but it has been down for a year. I would guess around 2000lbs. I probably reduced the weight a bit with alterations. My 250 with the air bags has no problem at all.

Thanks for all the great ideas. You said you built a dolly to roll it into your garage during the winter. I have a small single car garage and I may need to somehow store it in there on occasion. Could you post pictures of your homemade dolly? Thanks

Hey Steve. Here is the dolly I made. Not a great pic cause I have it stored away. I only brought it in the garage to work on it so won't be doing it this winter. Takes up the whole garage. I was only able to raise it halfway up. Problem I did run into though was you can't lower the camper low enough to put right on the dolly. So it was a 2 step process to get as low as I could. I lowered onto blocks on the dolly then raised the legs, took off the tripod feet raised it up took out the blocks and lowered it down. I even cut 2" off the bottom of the feet to get lower. (Being careful I could still get the height I needed to get in the truck) Got it down to sit on 2x6's on the flat. Pain in the ass. I made it out of a 4x8 pallet I found. I beefed it up and bolted 4 big wheels on it.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478229435.732072.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478229463.666639.jpg

I finished installing my 40 watt solar panel today. I mounted it 2 aluminum cross bars between my roof rack. I have plenty of room if I want to add more. I'll try just 1 to start with. Just want it to top up the battery when we are off the grid camping. Only really running a few lights, and sometimes the stereo and fan. I haven't tried it yet, overcast and raining. Easy install. I riveted it to angle corner brackets and then used self tapping screws to mount it to my rack. Ran the wire down the side and followed the other wiring into the camper. Mounted the charge controller next to the battery, replaced to battery clips with connectors and hooked up. ImageUploadedByWander The West1478231221.002860.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478231251.455688.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478231267.160585.jpg

I put the 2x4's on the roof rack for the tarp to rest on. With those and the canoe in the middle it makes a great peak roof that sheds water perfectly.

Here's a little trick I started doing. Take the washers off a roofing screw and use them when screwing into the side of your camper. ImageUploadedByWander The West1478231504.296582.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478231526.829017.jpg

Thanks so much for the info and pictures. I live in South Florida in a neighborhood with a Home Owners Association with rules against RV’s on your driveway, although a truck camper is a gray area, so if I need to store it in my garage I’m trying to plan ahead. Thanks again.

Mounted my new grey water jug today. Jug was $15 at Canadian tire and made the bracket. I just keep mounting things on the outside to free up space on the inside.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478314070.380469.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478314119.156137.jpg

Before I wrapped it up I put on a couple oar clips. I slide them up between the camper and box. Clips will keep them from rattling around. ImageUploadedByWander The West1478314314.272704.jpg

Took some pictures today of the inside with the top down. I remember trying to find pictures of that before I bought one. Still quite functional in that position. Table drops down into a good size bed. You can't it up straight at the table. Sink is usable. Just the stove and top bunk not.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478330600.490216.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478330621.394409.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478330638.486171.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWander The West1478330556.710404.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWander The West1478330556.710404.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 169
Back
Top Bottom