A 79 C/O Alaskan with some improvements.

nice job shackbait.....I like the neopreme washers!!.....and the loop under the siding fold....neatly done

you might want to back them out and fill the holes with silicon or butyl and replace...especially the ones holding the overhead rack near the electrical inlet...that area is notorious for water intrusion and rot....look at all the holes in that area

Nice interior......you have definitely been bitten by the "Alaskan Bug"....LOL

Totally makes me want to go somewhere. I will admit I quite enjoy working on it as well. There is something very cool about having everything you need in the back of your truck. Then tweaking it to just the way you want it.
I agree with the silicone under the screws. I am gonna do a bunch of sealing next year. The seam on the back where it meets the roof is looking ready to go. Also noticed a couple drips starting around the vent. I'll redo all that and start going through all the factory screws and nuts as well. Gotta do the exterior webbing too.
Hey Rusty, I think you attached the wrong link. It's a write up regarding a furnace. Try again if you can, I'd like to see what you got.
I also have a question about a part for the hydraulic rams. I'll post a picture and ask. Maybe one of you know the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

link works for me....tank/steps/storage setup...in my gallery

noticing drips on the inside is not good....fix asap...the water will stain the wood interior and that's the end...not to speak of the frame absorbing it....

wood rot in an enclosed space with one side warm and toasty and the other side recondensing the trapped water is a recipe for major disaster....do it now ....spring will be too late

That's what I thought too Rusty. The drips were on the inside edge of the vent. I pulled the bottom section of the vent out, removed some of the screws and staples holding the ceiling to the frame around it and peeked in and poked around. Dry as a bone except the 2x2 frame around the vent. It was a bit damp. Caught it in time. I ran the heater for a day to dry it out, then slapped a messy layer of silicone around the roof vent.
I got some of that butyl tape but I think it's to cold here now to get a good goopy seal. It's all covered for the winter but as soon as that tarp comes off it will be done properly.
Unless I get away south this winter!

Found your gallery Rusty. That's a great set up with the stairs and tank. Also found a tip you did for greasing the sliders. A bees wax turpentine mixture. I am going to make up a batch. I think I cleaned most of the grease off of mine.
Here's a question you might know the answer to. I raised my camper as high as it would go and wedged a 2x6 under each corner. I then undid the top bolts on the rams and just managed to squeak them out. I replaced the o ring in the ram with ones I picked up at an auto parts store that looked to be the same size. I still have some oil weeping on 2 of them. I either used the wrong size or it's the caps/sleeves on them. 2 are split and were previously taped and hose clamped. I thought maybe they were just dust jacket type things but are they part of the sealing process? I didn't see any seals in them. Is there a place to order replacements? I think I read somewhere that Alaskans now use larger rams, I guess I could call them and ask.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478414156.543405.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1478414179.793520.jpg
Appreciate any insight.

ShackBait, The use of silicone on the outside isn't a good choice of sealants. Silicone also contaminates the surface which requires extra cleaning after removal. There are better sealants for use outdoors. Contact Alaskan and hopefully others will weigh in. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Those grey plastic pieces at the top of the cylinders are just guides for the pistons, they do not seal

longhorn's right about the silicon...just for the screw holes

and....your o-rings are the wrong size....as Ripper pointed out...the caps are guides only...the fluid should stop at the o-rings...you can get them at Alaskan

and....I keep a 22 5/8" old broom handle and a full set of extra o-rings on the camper,,,,you just never know... ;)

Thanks for that guys. I'll get all the silicone off around the vent in the spring somehow and use the bruytl stuff and a proper sealant. Gonna call Alaskan and order a whack of o rings so I have spares and put the right ones in. For now it's dry and warm. I have a little space heater in there on low but I think I read Rusty suggest just a light bulb to keep it dry. That would be more efficient. Great source of info here guys.

The O rings are a standard size, I can get you the number, but I had one cylinder that has gone eccentric from years of use, I was going to try and find quad rings to give it an extra seal but used a trick that we used to use on old worn hydraulic pumps, Loc tite purple anaerobic sealer, so far no leaks. For your Butle tape when you get it get the 50/50 you can put that on now and put the roof snow seal on over the screws, Ive had to do it in the rain and cold it will hold and seal, use acetone to clean the surface.

Willys Addict said:
The O rings are a standard size, I can get you the number, but I had one cylinder that has gone eccentric from years of use, I was going to try and find quad rings to give it an extra seal but used a trick that we used to use on old worn hydraulic pumps, Loc tite purple anaerobic sealer, so far no leaks. For your Butle tape when you get it get the 50/50 you can put that on now and put the roof snow seal on over the screws, Ive had to do it in the rain and cold it will hold and seal, use acetone to clean the surface.
That's some good info Willys....now would you elaborate on the use of the purple loctite....that might be a good addition to a small repair kit for onboard quick repairs

Well I lied, just to my Hydraulic box and its Permatex not Loc tite. Permatex Anaerobic Flange sealant #51531. we would use in areas of the Hydraulic pump wear there was wear and leakage. My worst cylinder on the Camper is the left rear and it looks like it was installed before the counter top went on and I cant get it out. so, I gooped (technical term) the O-ring grove and O ring and slid it up and down the cylinder a couple of times. So far so good but, right now they are disconnected as I am doing the roof and cabinets. The reason for the leaks on mine are as the camper got older and was not free to come down equal it would come down on an angle digging with pressure on the walls of the cylinder tube causing the cylinder to bell inside, I had thought of heating and shrinking them, but you would have to get them honed true again.A correct quad seal has two lips for a surface and may work better for an O ring, I am going to look at some point for the size.

Back
Top Bottom