A better use for an ash tray!

flinchlock

For our trip I wanted to have a CB radio just to monitor traffic problems, etc.

I also have a Garmin 60CS handheld GPS and it drives my wife [bad word] crazy when I am messing with the GPS and not paying attention to my driving.

I could not find any place to mount the CB radio or the GPS until I found a solution... a 5/16" x 3 1/4" x 9" piece of plywood. Update: The piece of plywood slides into the exact same slots where the ash tray slides.

AshTray-a.jpg

AshTray-b.jpg

AshTray-c.jpg

AshTray-d.jpg

Mike

Very Clever Finchlock.

I am going through the same process ... figuring out where to put my CB radio without drilling holes in the dash ... and came up with a different solution. Mine is not nearly as nice as yours. I cut the sides down to about 4 inches on a cardboard box of about the right size to sit between my wife an me on the front seat. I have all sorts of needed stuff in the box, the CB radio, maps, pencils, magnifying glass, sunglasses, pre-moisten wipes for the pit stops, everything needed for the road. It also serves as a trash collector to keep candy wrappers out of the floorboards. It does not look good but it concentrates all the road trip junk in one spot.

I have an 07 Tundra too and I don't have an ashtray:confused:

There is just this little 4" x 2" opening where I keep some business cards. I wonder why our dashes are different?

There is just this little 4" x 2" opening where I keep some business cards. I wonder why our dashes are different?
I have the Regular Cab with Bench seats (and no console).

Do you have the 2007 Tundra brochure your dealer gave you... see the "Interior" section, the "Regular Cab" page.

Or see page 5 in the "2007 Owner's Manual".

Mike

"Smokers" factory option?

When I've looked at the factory options on various manufacturer's web sites, I have seen a "smokers" option which includes the ash tray and cigar lighter. Without it, they place come kind of cubby hole there instead. I wonder if that's what Toyota is doing too. I bet you could make something similar, but it would mean drilling the holes flinchlock already has in the top of his cubby hole for the metal bracket.

... a cardboard box of about the right size to sit between my wife an me on the front seat.
I also thought about that, but my Tundra has a 40/20/40 split-and-fold bench seat. The center "seat" lifts up and then no room for a box.

Mike

AshTray-i.jpg

P.S. Yup, truck still dirty from our trip... wife loves to put her dirty feet on the dash. :(

P.S. Yup, truck still dirty from our trip... wife loves to put her dirty feet on the dash.

Add dog hair and you'd have my dash:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom