A cautionary tale

craig333

Riley's Human
I had the day off so I decided to take the dog up to play in the snow. Headed up the Mormon Emigrant Trail. About mile 13 there was enough snow it seemed prudent to walk it a ways.

The snow seemed nice and hard, it was fairly cold up there but I need to remember its a 8k truck.

Just past this area it looked like I could drive quite a ways further and its only a small patch of snow right? Well it was deep enough once the truck compacted the snow to get high centered. I had about an hour before the rain was supposed to start but I wasn't worried. Tossed the maxtrax under the tires and nothing. Dig some and still nothing. Okay, airing down always works right? I grab my tire deflators and guess what. They didn't work. I set them up at home and never tested them. I did get them to work after a quick adjustment with the allen wrench. 15psi.

At some point in this process as I'm crossing the rear of the truck I slip. My face is headed for the hitch but somehow I manage to just hit it with my hand. How I didn't break it I have no idea. Its going to scare my coworkers tomorrow :) At least its still usable as even with the tires aired down its a no go. I think if I could have gotten any movement from the truck the max trax would have grabbed but they just couldn't get a grip.

I should mention there was no recent activity on the road so I knew I was on my own. Well lets try the hi lift with the tire attachment. I get it up and get the max trax under the tire but now the jack won't come down. Its also moved and sitting on the body. Grab my wd-40 and its full but no propellant. Some cussing and swearing and beating it with the shovel and it comes down leaving a nice gouge in the body. Repeat the process with the front tire. If this doesn't work it'll be time to get on the radio. Fortunately it does and the truck pops right out.

Doesn't look like much. Jeep would have many miles further to get stuck :) The tires with 15psi bulge real nice. I mean I was afraid to even move. Out comes the MV-50. Poor thing has never had to work that hard before.

Couple lessons from this. Carry some lubricant that doesn't use a propellant. When that voice says turn around listen to it. Test test test. Was stupid to just think the deflators would function without actually trying them. Carry the appropriate clothing even for a day trip. I didn't bring boots or anything other than a jacket. Luckily having the camper along, I could have accessed the emergency clothing I keep inside.

I think the BFG's did fine but even MT's wouldn't have helped once it was high centered.

Riley had a great time running around.

If there had been something to winch to I might have tried to pull it forward.

Since driving in/on snow is such a foreign concept to me I operate in it on the principle that 4WD is for getting me turned around where 2WD got me stuck. This may not save me, but at least I'm less far from help.......
I do also carry one set of chains all of the time. Easier to always know where they are that way.

Well it was deep enough once the truck compacted the snow to get high centered.
Many different ways to be stuck and in your case "high centered" leaves the earth attached to the truck. Lifting it up and putting the MaxTrax under the tires was the best course of action. Sorry you suffered injuries to hand, truck and equipment failure. Glad you survived and made it home.

Hand seems to have survived well. Maybe I didn't hit it as hard as I thought I did. I hit the hi lift with a wax type lube when I got home. We'll see how that works. We used to do a work camping trip on memorial weekend about halfway down the Silverfork road and even on the warmest years we could never all the way up the MET. Not surprised I barely made it past the Pilliken road.

I got my old F150 stuck in less than 6" of "snowcone" snow, springtime, just a bunch of ice crystals. Tires just made little cups and just spun. I got out with the truck idling in gear, all 4 wheels were just turning slowly. Valuable lesson, learned - always carry a shovel. Had to dog out with branches we scrounged.

To make a anchor in the middle of a flat area with zero to hook up to, I carry 6 @ 36" flat steel concrete stakes used for making forms. They are 5/16"thick x 1-1/2" wide. I pound them in a triangle flat side facing the truck, a 1, 2, 3 pattern at about a 30 degree lean leaving about 12" exposed. Using a rope, I tie the top of the first to the bottom 2 of the next row. I tie the tops of the second row to the bottom 3 of the third row. Make sense? You can get quite a good anchor that way. You can dig a trench at right angle to your truck, lay 2 or 3 crossways, tie a rope, chain, whatever in the center and use that as a anchor. It may sound like a lot of work, but it goes pretty fast and is very effective. Will work in sand. Cheap too.

Hay craig333
Nice to hear your ok and managed to extract yourself. Sounds like so many other stories of a situation which goes south and in an unbelievable way compounds with simple events that needn't be.
Glad to see you are able to share this.
Thanks Russ

Back
Top Bottom