A Chevy and FWC travel Mendel Pass

locrwln

As the title states, my wife and I made a little trip to Death Valley. We left Reno on Thursday afternoon and headed south. We traveled down US95 on the Nevada side. We made it to Armagossa Valley, south of Beatty and decided to call it a night. We turned right into the desert out toward the big sand dune and found a spot for the night.
Camp in the morning.

Friday morning, we continued down US95 and turned toward Pahrump. Topped off the fuel tank and from Pahrump, we turned west and headed to Shoshone and into the south side on the park. We hit the West Road (south) and aired down.

We headed north until we came to Warm Springs Canyon Road and turned west and up we went. The King shocks made a huge difference on rough washboard sections. Since we had camped at Warm Springs before, we kept on going toward Striped Butte Valley.

We crossed the valley and started up Mengel Pass. The going wasn't too bad until we came to this section.

I made an attempt, but just didn't have the clearance. I backed up and stacked a few rocks and had my wife guiding me. I apparently, didn't have enough clearance and hit the frame. I backed up and added a few more on the opposite side to keep the front up and over we went. The only carnage was one of the e-brake cable guides got bent back a little, but nothing a little bending won't fix.

I kept threading my way up until I came to another boulder section. I got out and looked over the situation. I threw a rock to two into place and had my wife drive while I guided her through all the way to the summit of Mendal Pass. Got a little tippy on the way up. She is a great driver in the technical stuff. The front locker made all the difference (for both of us), it just kept the front pulling over the uneven rocks and dirt.

We made it to the pass and took a look around.

I took back over the driving and headed down the pass to Goler Wash. There were a few areas that kept things interesting, but overall it went pretty smooth. We made it to the bottom and stopped for lunch. While we were sitting there, three motorcycles rolled up and asked if they were at the bottom of Goler Wash and I told them that they were. Their plan was to head over the pass and back into DV. I wished them good luck as they were riding a 1200GS, 650GS(?) and a KLR650. I warned them it would be a challenge, but hopefully they made it up and over with few problems. As we were finishing up, a 2d JK with trailer rolled up and seemed to be a little shocked that we made it over in the truck. They asked about the water falls and I told them if you didn't know where they were, you wouldn't even realize that they were there as they had been filled in.

From there we headed up to the pavement at Ballarat. We aired up and drove to the South Pass road for Saline Valley. Aired down once more and headed to the springs. We got to the springs around 6pm on Friday night. What a day.

Saturday morning was great, got a little walk, shower and soak in and then the wind began. We spent from about 1000am on inside the camper to avoid the wind and of course, this was a serious wind storm, so we just hunkered down. The camper did great and luckily we took some movies and books. The wind continued into the night and Sunday morning. We had a small lull on Sunday morning, but then it started all over, so we packed up and headed north out North Pass. We made it home yesterday afternoon. The wierd thing is that the wind stopped around Bishop, but south of there it was going gangbusters. Barely a breeze at all in Reno. Oh well. It was a great trip and a true test of the Kings.

Hope you enjoyed the ride, I know we did.

Jack

:LOL:

Those last pictures reminded me way to much of how I spent to many of my working years-will I make it, or will I need my last last spare ! Any trip you survive is a good trip and you had a house on your truck if you didn't! Nice adventuring trip.

Smoke

I really enjoyed your post. I have completed this trip one time in the past and long to do it again. The front bumper of my Silverado has a scar form the same rock that is pictured.
Thank you for sharing

:LOL:

Those last pictures reminded me way to much of how I spent to many of my working years-will I make it, or will I need my last last spare ! Any trip you survive is a good trip and you had a house on your truck if you didn't! Nice adventuring trip.

Smoke

Thank you, it was a good time.

I really enjoyed your post. I have completed this trip one time in the past and long to do it again. The front bumper of my Silverado has a scar form the same rock that is pictured.
Thank you for sharing

Thank you. That rock was something. I think that rock has become a challenge and the ground around it is dug out as proof. Of course the area just above it was nothing to sneeze at either.

Jack

I've been through there a bunch of times, Jack, but never with the pop-up. Good goin'! And thanks for the photos from one of my favorite places.

Hmmm....you said front locker on our Chevys?
Any further details, like price etc?

That could have come in handy a time or two.

Webster Pass 2.jpg

Hmmm....you said front locker on our Chevys?
Any further details, like price etc?

That could have come in handy a time or two.

View attachment 16013

Here is "start" of the locker talk.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/54356-Jack-s-2007-Chevy-Build/page18

Keep in mind, mine is an '07 and it has the old school front diff and yours is the new style, which I don't think anyone has an locker application for. I installed an elocker and it has been a great accessory.

Pretty much everything else I have done, is documented in the above linked build thread.

Thanks for the compliments.

Jack

Nice trip report Jack,

What is your fairing set up? How did you attach it to the camper, does it just rest on your roof of the truck, and how do you like it?

Thanks,
-Rick

Nice trip report Jack,

What is your fairing set up? How did you attach it to the camper, does it just rest on your roof of the truck, and how do you like it?

Thanks,
-Rick

Thank you.

Here is the post I made in my build thread addressing the fairing when someone else asked (Slo250). Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

"It has served two purposes. First one is that I have noticed at least a 1-1.5 mpg improvement with it. The second is that before, when I was passing an oncoming semi, the roof of my truck would make a loud "POP" as the air differential caught it. The deflector took care of that and now it doesn't matter what the wind or passing a semi does, the roof stays pop free. I would also say that it is a little quieter even when there isn't a wind, just driving it seems to help the air get up and over the camper better.

As far as install pics, well let's just say that this was a "proof of concept" that I wanted to try before I spent too much money/time on it (going on two years now). Anyway, I just cut down a piece of 5 layer birch I had, painted it white, made some quick angle iron brakets to bolt the wood to and a yakima crossbar. I did buy the towers for my truck. The bolts tighten the wood to the angle iron (with flanges welded to it), which "pinch" the yakima bar and keep the wood from rotating. It has worked really well and I just haven't gotten around to improving it or doing a better job, so my BIL (a finish carpenter) calls it my redneck carpentry.

It's not pretty, but it does work and eventually, I will replace the wood with something else and I would also "flair" the top out to make it look a little better.

I position it so that the front latches just clear the top of the wood."

Jack

Great report!!! Looks like fun, wish I could have gone with you!! Sweet rig too. 07 was the last good looking Chevy IMHO!!!

Thanks Jack - looks functional and efficient!

No problems. It is, now I just need to get off my #$% and make a better looking one, but it's hard when this one works... :D

Great report!!! Looks like fun, wish I could have gone with you!! Sweet rig too. 07 was the last good looking Chevy IMHO!!!

Thank you, it was a blast and I would love to do some traveling with like minded/equiped guys. Thanks for the compliments and I agree on the looks. Yours is a great platform and arguably one of the strongest of the big three. I had great luck with my '02 SD.

Here it is in DV also.

It was a great combo, just too big for the backcountry.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom