a couple days in TN

Machinebuilder

I had a lot of life interfering with my camping this year. some things finally sorted out so I took a couple days to get away.

My get away was delayed by my heat pump needing repairs. That done, I decided to stay a little close to home and see how my new dogs traveled and camped.

I took a scenic route and stopped at the Dunlap Coke ovens

A
dayton%20coke%20ovens-L.jpg

dayton%20coke%20ovens%202-L.jpg

Dayton%20Coke%20ovens%203-L.jpg

I had decided to camp at the Foster Falls Campground at South Cumberland State Park. I had not been there before and it was interesting, you are rrequired to have a reservation before setting up. the weather was turning cold and wet so there was only 2 campsites taken and I used my Iphone to make my reservation while standing at the campsite.

2018111119140165-IMG_2162-L.jpg

this is Foster Falls from the overlook

foster%20falls2%2011-8-2018-L.jpg

foster%20falls%2011-8-2018-L.jpg

the temp dropped into the mid 30's and it drizzled to downpoured, the Camper is SO much nicer in that weather than a tent. Gabby, Sox and me curled up took a nap and read all afternoon in comfort.

I closed camp after another rainy night and morning, and drove over to the Stone Door Trailhead in Beersheba Springs.

stone%20door%201%2011-8-2019-L.jpg

stone%20door3%2011-8-2019-L.jpg

stone%20door%204%2011-8-2019-L.jpg

stone%20door2%2011-8-2019-L.jpg

stone%20door%206-L.jpg

stone%20door6%2011-8-2019-L.jpg

Gabby and Sox traveled and camped well, they need some more time on a leash to reduce their pulling me down the trails. I need to plan a little better, I forgot a few things and found a couple that didn't work very well.

I will need to add a second battery to the camper and investigate better ways to recharge in non sunny weather.

A bad day camping is still a good day.
A

roverjohn said:
Nice. Those are a couple of good looking dogs.
Thanks,

I got Gabby memorial day, she was to keep my other GSP company when my Lab passed.

Gabby had 8 puppies July 4, very unexpected surprise.

Milo my GSP had heart failure and I had to put him down in July.

I clearance sold 7 of the puppies, and decided to keep Sox.

I made the decision to put Jada the Lab down a week ago, so now I have 2 "new" dogs

This trip was as much to see how well they will travel as much as anything. They traveled very well.

“Gabby and Sox traveled and camped well, they need some more time on a leash to reduce their pulling me down the trails.”

With high prey drive dogs, a pinch collar is sometimes needed. The blunt copper studs look awful, but don’t hurt the dogs. I buy from Gundog Supply.
47A3812A-D3BD-427C-9F7F-4B08F5733395.jpeg

"A bad day camping is still a good day."

That is true! Looks like a good weekend. Dogs are great camping mates. Thanks for the report.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
“Gabby and Sox traveled and camped well, they need some more time on a leash to reduce their pulling me down the trails.”

With high prey drive dogs, a pinch collar is sometimes needed. The blunt copper studs look awful, but don’t hurt the dogs. I buy from Gundog Supply.
attachicon.gif
I haven’t seen those collars.

I’m going to try a petsafe harness that supposedly helps, we’ll see.

At home they don’t need a leash they don’t go far from me and I route our walk to stay on my property mostly.

Wandering Sagebrush said:

attachicon.gif
Fantastic report and images MachineBuilder!

Steve...

I've been purchasing my collars and leads from Steve for years. Great guy running a super business! I always order 3 tags riveted to the collars with every possible contact info we have... Our pups like to roam!

Bill

Bill, a big yes on Steve Snell. Great guy/products/service. I just ordered a new collar for Fritz this afternoon. The pup got the old one off Fritz in the kennel, then chewed it to the point I don’t trust it.

nice photos and info on your dog's days... we have a new pup this year... cross of Australian cattle dog and a German shepherd ... she is a runner.. flies around like crazy... and we are working on the walking on leash in the woods... fall leaves are slick and she has nearly killed me on down slide walks... SQUIRREL ! ... She did well in the camper but needs running. I have thought of using a gentle leader that pulls their nose down when they lunge but she hates it and getting it on is a PITA. Maybe a harness would be better.
Good luck on the sussing out camper travel life ... I can't wait when we'll be able to travel when we want. Maybe next year. Tennessee is beautiful in many areas.

buckland said:
nice photos and info on your dog's days... we have a new pup this year... cross of Australian cattle dog and a German shepherd ... she is a runner.. flies around like crazy... and we are working on the walking on leash in the woods... fall leaves are slick and she has nearly killed me on down slide walks... SQUIRREL ! ... She did well in the camper but needs running. I have thought of using a gentle leader that pulls their nose down when they lunge but she hates it and getting it on is a PITA. Maybe a harness would be better.
Good luck on the sussing out camper travel life ... I can't wait when we'll be able to travel when we want. Maybe next year. Tennessee is beautiful in many areas.
I was looking at the gentle leader and they didn’t have the right size, I thought it seemed weird also. I got the easy walk harness instead, I still need to try it.

Since my daughter relocated to eastern Tenn. we have been enjoying the camping in the N. Carolina and Tenn. mountains during our visits. Amazing how many national forest camp grounds(my favorite) are available. Lots of great hiking and fishing. Thanks for your post, you have given me a couple more places to seek out.

I tried a Gentle Leader on my Springer/Rott and he hated it. He just learned to cock his head to the side and he pulled anyway. I found it after returning from work one day chewed into about 100 pieces and Duke just standing over the pile looking smug. I think if you choose a very high energy dog it just needs to burn calories one way or the other. I started walking with a goal of 30-35 miles/week and I take him on them. I've found he's much less likely to pull if you run/walk the steam out of him.

Back
Top Bottom