A couple of option questions

rotti

Finalizing my order for a new Hawk and have a couple of questions:

I'm going with the 110L Waeco frig and there is a option for a $50 frig vent fan.
Necessary for the cool Rockies weather?

Front opening window? Looks to fold down and back to be right in the way?
My previous Granby was a slider and worked great, this one looks to be a problem?

I want the Fantastic Fan but which one do they install?
Anyone have the 14 speed model installed from the factory, if so how much more?
Which model would you recommend?

Go anywhere package, what is in that?

The guys from FWC were GREAT at the show but their web site is killing me. :rolleyes:

The Fantastic fan is the basic model, but I think they can do the 14 speed.

From what I have read of others opinions, personally I would go with the 14 speed.

I'm going with the 110L Waeco frig and there is a option for a $50 frig vent fan.
Necessary for the cool Rockies weather?

I want the Fantastic Fan but which one do they install?
Anyone have the 14 speed model installed from the factory, if so how much more?
Which model would you recommend?

Go anywhere package, what is in that?

We just visited Woodland and ordered a new Raven. We also ordered the 110 frig. We asked Fred, our salesman, about the vent fan, and just said that it makes the frig work better, so we ordered it.

We asked about the 14 speed fan and were told that it was $600, I believe. Way more than the 3 speed, so we ordered 2, 3 speed fans.

Go Anywhere has electrical connections for shore power and the drill bit adaptor for the jack and other things that I can't remember.

I have 1 fantastic fan in my Hawk. In the extra roof vent over the bed. It's the factory 3 speed. I wish it was the 14 speed as I'm never totally happy with any of the 3 speeds. Take that for what it's worth.

I think someone here will tell you that replacing the 3 speed with the 14 speed is easy (I don't have actual experience with that), and then you can sell the 3 speed on Ebay or where ever.

Here's the 14 speed R6600 at Camping World for about $300, or, even just the upgrade kit (about $170). Select the version you want to read about... "new fan" or "upgrade kit". http://www.campingwo...te-control/6695

There are lots of places that sell both the 14 speed fan and the upgrade kit.

Too bad you can't just buy the complete R6600, have it shipped to FWC and pay them to install it at the build time, possibly for less than $300. That's what ATC did for me.

Or, maybe ask them if they run the electrical wires even if you don't get a 3 speed powered vent. If they do then just get the regular crank open passive vent, so you can install the 14 speed on your own, provided someone here on WTW can tell you if that will work. I'm just trying to think outside the box, giving you some options, however, I don't have actual experience with this process. I think I remember reading about it here on WTW. An expert with experience on this topic will have speak up... there are lots of them here.

Or, maybe ask them if they run the electrical wires even if you don't get a 3 speed powered vent. If they do then just get the regular crank open passive vent, so you can install the 14 speed on your own, provided someone here on WTW can tell you if that will work.

They have run the wires for a long time. I have a 2002 Hawk and when I added a Fantastic Fan the wires were right there when I took out the crank fan. Have then cut the Holes and install your own, piece of cake.

Or, maybe ask them if they run the electrical wires even if you don't get a 3 speed powered vent. If they do then just get the regular crank open passive vent, so you can install the 14 speed on your own, provided someone here on WTW can tell you if that will work.

As far as I know that is possible. The vents are wired for the fan and you can buy the upgrade kit and upgrade from the vent to the 14 speed with out breaking the vent seal on the roof.

I decided, literally two minutes ago, that that is what I am going to do.

We asked about the 14 speed fan and were told that it was $600, I believe. Way more than the 3 speed, so we ordered 2, 3 speed fans.

If that is true that is some major gouging right there...

I am also in the process of finalizing my order. I got a price of $425 for the Fantastic Fan 6600R. This is the 14 speed. What I didn't like about the 3 speed, was even at the lowest setting it was quite fast and loud. If you just need to move a little air and want it quiet, the 14 speed seems the way to go.

I am also in the process of finalizing my order. I got a price of $425 for the Fantastic Fan 6600R. This is the 14 speed. What I didn't like about the 3 speed, was even at the lowest setting it was quite fast and loud. If you just need to move a little air and want it quiet, the 14 speed seems the way to go.

FYI there is a cheap mod to the 3 speed fan using a resistor to turn it into a 6 speed in which the second set of speeds are slower. Obviously 14speed is more universal but I wanted to make sure folks knew.

By the way is that $425 over a basic vent or $425 over a three speed? Either way I still call gouging. A 3 speed is ~$100 over a fantastic vent (ie no fan), and a 14speed is ~$100 over the three speed. This is basic internet sources, so if FWC isn't sourcing even better pricing then they need to find new purchasers. There is NO difference in labor to install a 3 speed verse a 14speed. I just can't get on board with 100%+ markups, sorry.

Skip the opening back window. When its open its in the way and if you take it out, its a pain to put back. As for the fan, I have the standard 3 speed and it works fine for me.

Hope this helps Paulie

I got the 6600R from Adohen Supply, least expensive I found and they worked out well. They shipped to ATC and they installed for no extra cost. $600 does seem high.

While I don't use the fan much, the low speeds are very quiet. I would do the 6600R again, especially if you think you will using the fan alot.

Skip the opening back window. When its open its in the way and if you take it out, its a pain to put back.

That is what I was thinking from looking at the pictures. Just saved $175, I owe you a beer.
Wish they still had the slider.

About the fan.
Yes $600 is nuts for the 6600.
The basic FF 3 speed runs $295 (yikes), so the $425 for the 6600 makes somewhat more sense.

Thanks all for your insight.

About the fan.
Yes $600 is nuts for the 6600.
The basic FF 3 speed runs $295 (yikes), so the $425 for the 6600 makes somewhat more sense.

Thanks all for your insight.

$295 in place of the vent???? WTF? The vent runs about $25 and the 3 speed fan runs about $125. What the hell is up with the 100%+ margin charges?

To be clear we're not talking about $295 for a SECOND vent location are we? That could make some more sense because there would be a bit extra labor in installing the second vent, but outside of quickly connecting 2 wires (which FWC already installs) there is NO notable labor difference in installing a fantastic fan verse fantastic vent.

I couldn't justify the cost for a 6600 model, myself. If A cross breeze from open windows doesn't give enough ventilation, then I'll use the low speed on the 3-speed fan. Really, I've found that I mainly use it before breaking camp to help get rid of any moisture that may be inside, and I don't need low speeds for that. But, YMMV.

FWIW - I upgraded from a regular vent to a 3 speed fantastic fan and wouldn't go back. $129.00 from Camping World. Having a quieter 14 speed would be nicer, but the cost difference didn't work for me. Having the fan is a must for the desert heat and moisture control when it's cool.

I wasn't aware of a conversion kit negating the need to removing the vent assembly from to top of the roof. This would have saved a bit of time, but the install was no big deal. Making sure everthing is clean and tidy before sealing is important.

The FWC wiring was in place at the vent opening. Only had one gotchya - Fantastic Fan wiring colors are back asswards to "normal". Black is hot white is negative.

The next upgrade will be a screen door. Unfortunately that requires a new door. Maybe I can fashion something up myself...dunno yet.

As I mentioned earlier if you want to make your 3 speed fan 6 speed with a second set of slower speeds here is the instruction link: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1329/ Can be done for under $10 with parts from your local radio shack.

Hey Rotti
Another use for the fan. I have mine over the upper bed. I close all windows, the door and window flaps. Turn the fan on to suck out on high. This pulls the fabric side in and then release the front support and then the back support. Then turn the fan off and shut the cover over the fan. This works Great for me.

Paulie

As far as I know that is possible. The vents are wired for the fan and you can buy the upgrade kit and upgrade from the vent to the 14 speed with out breaking the vent seal on the roof.

I decided, literally two minutes ago, that that is what I am going to do.

Yeah, looks like the upgrade kit is a pretty easy install :

http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/knowledge_base/6600_upgrade_how_to_installation/6600_upgrade_how_to_install.html

I've only had my camper a few months, but now that I see my original 3-speed can be upgraded to the 6600 with a kit, this looks like the way to go. Seems to cost ~$200 when I do a quick Google search.

Back
Top Bottom