A few last minute questions before ordering Fleet

EnviroProf

Advanced Member
I have gone through several of the “what do you regret” and “help me decide options” threads over the last couple of days and have learned a ton, but a few questions remain if you FWCers are willing.

I’ve given up (I think) looking for a used camper so will be ordering a new Fleet front dinette.

I live in W. Pennsylvania, but am a westerner, so return every summer when I’m not teaching and travel a lot for my research, which is public lands. My travel and climate considerations are everything from the North Carolina Outer Banks to Southern Utah and as far north as Canada’s Northwest Territories. I’m fairly handy (with good instructions) and have added solar, fridges, awnings, etc. to my VW Syncro.

Awnings: I like and use awnings. The Fiamma seems to be a good, but expensive awning. A couple of dealers have said I should let the factory install it because of warranty issues. Another told me that they modify the camper trim and ??? to add the awning. I’d like to hear from Fleet owners especially, as the space to mount an awning is probably tighter than with the full-size campers. Has anyone mounted an ARB or other brand after getting their camper?

Fantastic Fans: A topic that came up in previous threads was how many electric fan vents to order. Some said they should have ordered two electric fans. Others said one electric and one extra vent work pretty well. It’s $100 more to get the electric instead of the extra vent. Are two needed for traveling to hot places? If I only go with one, should the electric go over the bed to provide breeze while you sleep?

Thermal package: Some said they love them. Others said they or someone they know removed them because of the PIA factor. Do they interfere with daily operations of window screens? If they are completely detachable, can I buy them later from FWC? I also saw a thread about making my own. Opinions?

Thanks

On fans: My first camper had the Fantastic fan over the bed. This worked quite well.

My current camper has inside shower and I ordered the Fantastic fan in the rear spot. While it works well for the rare times I use the shower inside, I miss having the fan over the bed. It is also closer to the cooktop (in my floorplan), so it works better for that. I guess I sleep more nights when it is hot, than nights I use the inside shower.

I didn't have the thermal package in my first camper. I ordered it in my second camper. I would order this again. It has no downsides from my perspective, once paid for.

The Fiamma awning is probably the best deal of the FWC options - I don't think I could buy it and fabricated the mounts myself for less than FWC charges. If you want an awning, get the Fiamma option. In general, while the F45 is a little expensive and heavy, it is so much more usable than the manual or bag awnings. You can easily deploy it in < 5 minutes with one person. I had the F35 (manual version similar to the F45) on my prior camper and almost never used it due to the hassle of setting it up. The biggest draw back is the weight up high - so we modified the brackets to make it easier to remove, and leave it at home in the winter when we know we won't use it.

I ordered two powered fantastic fans - if I were to do it again I would only order one in the rear opening. The fans move a lot of air, but they are the usual low quality RV junk - and are really loud even on low. I modified both of mine to have continuous PWM speed control to allow lower speeds than the low setting that comes stock. Even so, we rarely use either when sleeping or hanging out due to the noise, and certainly would never use the one over the bed while sleeping. The rear one is useful for drying or cooling the camper when it is closed up.

I didn't order a thermal pack - but made my own. My cost was ~1/3 ordering it from FWC, but if I valued my time at all it would make more sense to order one.

I gave up on the thermal pack, doesn't get cold enough where I camp in the winter and It's easier to wipe the condensation off the canvas with it off. Although it helps when we use the A/C(rarely) it hinders the canvas tucking in when we drop the top, so I have it out and stored away. I have the fantastic roof fan in back, we use it occasionally but it's noisy on any setting except the low setting, mostly use it for sucking in the canvas as I lower the top. For the bed area, I use a small 12v battery(D cell) fan I bought at Walmart, it's quiet, moves a good amount of air and runs every night for a week + on 8 D cells. I also carry a 12v fantastic fan box fan I picked up at a boat resale shop for $20. The box fan is worth looking into if you need to move lots of air and it is quieter than the roof mount unit.

I love my thermal pack. It helps in both hot and cold weather as well as deadening the outside sounds. I ordered mine separately from FWC.

I started with just a fan over the stove but added the second over the bed. In hot weather they can make a huge difference. If you are planning on cooking in the camper the one over the stove is very useful unless you like the sound of your smoke alarm.

Interesting comments about the noise of the fans over the bed. Unless I'm cooking over the campfire I cook every night on the stove, and heat water for coffee every morning. Maybe the answer is one fan in the back and one vent over the bed. Are the vents screened to keep out the blood suckers?

The vents are screened and I don't notice the fan noise much. It's basically white noise that some folks use to help them sleep, and helps drown out the ambient noise if you find yourself in a crowded campground. Just my $.02 of course.

Our 2014 Grandby has the Flamma awning and we really like it. I think you would be better off having FWC install it. We have the fan over the bed and the vent in the rear. I've mulled it over and wish in some ways that I had 2 fans. With the Dometic 85L fridge and running a CPAP machine at night we are very careful about using lights and the fan when we are not plugged in. The fan over the bed has come in handy. The thermal pack is great, keeps things warm in the cold and cool in the hot. Not sure how it is a PIA, just another flap that opens when you open the windows. We don't have the slightest problem closing the roof, everything tucks in perfectly. Good luck, jd

You might consider what you'll be storing on the roof, if anything. Having two fans might limit your options up top.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the turnbuckle access doors. If you open these up the fans are not only quieter, but much more effective by pulling cold air from underneath your camper.

You didn't ask, but I would also recommend going with a top loading ARB or similar DC Fridge/Freezer instead of the Dometic 3-way options FWC offers. More efficient and more reliable.

Good luck!

I have a n Eagle shell. With stove, furnace, rollover couch and both vents. I've added solar and a Truckfridge TF51.

The thermal pack is on my short list to add. I've slept in the camper in the 20s. But it would be nicer with the pack.

I'll also probably replace both vents with basic fan units.

Also note the screens in the camper WILL NOT stop No-see-em's at the OBX!

rilcombs said:
You might consider what you'll be storing on the roof, if anything. Having two fans might limit your options up top.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the turnbuckle access doors. If you open these up the fans are not only quieter, but much more effective by pulling cold air from underneath your camper.

You didn't ask, but I would also recommend going with a top loading ARB or similar DC Fridge/Freezer instead of the Dometic 3-way options FWC offers. More efficient and more reliable.

Good luck!
I plan on only a solar panel up there -- nothing else. Haven't heard the trick about the turnbuckle doors yet, although I do remember seeing a photo of someone mouse-proofing them. Is there room to store anything in that space?
I'm going with the 85 liter Isotherm and solar for the fridge. Really like the compressor fridges better than the 3-ways.

I started with an Eagle shell. I added ONE fantastic fan and it works well and glad I did.

I made my own thermal package, and it works well too, and it was worth the effort if you camp in Winter.

I made my own awning. I have hardly ever used it. The reason is that a couple of time I wanted to use it, the wind was so bad that I thought it would rip it off the truck. LOL. I personally, would not buy one. BUT, they can be useful if it was designed like mine with a bug net. When in places like Alaska/Canada, the bugs are BAD, and this allows you to sit outside and not be the meal-of-the-day.

Chris

One fan is enough for me. Have it blowing out, open the window by your head and it will suck cool air over your head.

Besides, where the 2nd fan/vent would go is where you want your 265W+ solar panel....

Vic Harder said:
One fan is enough for me. Have it blowing out, open the window by your head and it will suck cool air over your head.

Besides, where the 2nd fan/vent would go is where you want your 265W+ solar panel....
Ace! said:
I think that's the way to go. Two fans/vents does get in the way. I had planned multiple solar panels on the roof and the second vent is in the way of where I was going to mount it.
Now you are making me nervous. I can't imagine having more than two solar panels. Anyone out there with two vents/fans and two solar panels mounted to Yak tracks?

Are two panels (not the light flexible panels) too heavy for lifting the top. Is that why FWC goes with one on the roof and a second portable?

broverlanding_tacoma said:
Two fans
Get an ALUCAB awning and pay someone to make mounts

270* awnings are way better.
What are the advantages of that over the FWC batwing? It looks to be similar cost.

Very happy with the Fiamma awning, fast and easy to deploy; and handles wind and rain if staked with one end lower to encourage water to run off. We are in the process of creating tyvek shade and wind panels for it as well as bug netting.

Two vents with one fan in the rear. Agree that they are noisy, but really needed for inside cooking unless all you do is boil water. We have a portable fan sold to sailors that is made from a computer fan with a DC cord that plugs into the camper's DC outlet. Much quieter and aids in air circulation.

Can't imagine not having the thermal pack. It's especially good at keeping the camper from getting as hot as it might. It creates a thermal barrier of sorts that cuts down on radiant heat from the sunny side. For hot weather Reflectix or similar product on the glass windows helps. In hot weather close up everything on the sunny side and open on the shaded side. Also best to keep the frig side out of the afternoon sun.

We have 160 watt Gopower panel on the roof and that is plenty as long as the sun shines and you park in the sun. Picked up 79 watt portable from https://www.flexopowerusa.com a little pricey but uses amorphous cells which are much more shade tolerant, even works on overcast days. With portable you can park in the shade and move the panel around.

Once again, since you live in PA I encourage you to visit MAOF even if just for the day.

Dean

Andy Douglass said:
What are the advantages of that over the FWC batwing? It looks to be similar cost.
the Alucab requires ZERO support, where the EZawn thing does for the same exact price almost

The ALucab Also has a fantastic wall option as well

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I'm going to finalize the Fleet build tonight and order tomorrow -- mostly little things to decide at this point, such as interior color, two fans or one fan and a vent, etc.

I did hear back from my dealer this morning about a couple of questions I had. The Yakima Tracks do extend for most of the length of the camper, allowing some flexibility for solar mounting.

I'll have plenty of time to work on the solar design, but my initial plan is to permanently mount a big honking panel (160w) between the vents, and then try to design a mounting option for a lighter flexible panel (maybe 100w) that will live on the roof 90% of the time, but can be removed when I find a nice shady camp spot.

I was also glad to learn that FWC does offer the Fiamma awnings in Titanium for those that order the Silver exterior. I hope that by the time they build my camper they have convinced a few more of their appliance suppliers to provide silver doors. The white doors on the silver exterior don't look the best.

Back
Top Bottom