A few quick shots of the shady boy awning

Catalina Awning

I can't address the Shadeboy, but the Catalina awning that came with my FWC has 2 permanently attached, adjustable length legs that help to secure it in the carrier. It's not quite as simple as unrolling it. First you swing out and extend both legs, then roll the awning out and kind of walk the legs until the awning locks at it's full length. It does have thumb screws you can use to keep it at a length shorter than the full length. Their are 2 holes at the base of each leg which you could use to stake it down with in a wind. The awning material is a thick, opaque material that doesn't even seem to let the heat of the sun through.

The first week of April I was camping. There was only a gentle breeze and I didn't have any stakes anyway. Suddenly a gust of wind came up and lifted the awning. I grabbed a leg to get it under control, then when the gust died I found something heavy to bungee to the strap that you use to unroll the awning. I didn't have another problem the entire trip, but the wind never got above, maybe 20 MPH.

A friend of mine is in the movie business and has a piece of camouflage netting that is large enough to completely cover the truck, camper and awning he said he will give me. I can't wait for the next desert trip, it should be like an oasis in there.

Another Shady Boy Awning

I just installed a Shady Boy awning on the FWC Ranger. I went ahead and installed it using the two mounting blocks built into the awning case. These are the only bolts used when installing the case to the stock mounting brackets so I figured I’d give it a shot. Went to the LHS and picked up 3” bolts the same thread size as the stock bolts to go right through the camper wall and the 1” spacers I fabricated and into the awing case. Here are some pics…

Attachments

• 20070720001.jpg
    20070720001.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 635
  • 20070720003.jpg
    20070720003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 696
  • 20070720004.jpg
    20070720004.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 684
  • 20070720007.jpg
    20070720007.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 660
  • 20070720008.jpg
    20070720008.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 639
right on jim...looks great, nice and clean...thanks for posting!

Very nice looking. How do you get back into the shell? Do you fold and roll or is there something that rolls it back in for you?
For the a rear awning do you think that it can be mounted to the rear most roof rack cross bar?
I was thinking that for a spring or fall trip that it rains all day. With one of the awnings on the roof rack and off center to the pass. side you might be able to get from the rear of the camper to the side without getting wet.

Wow!! Jim that looks great. I'm tellin' you the talent on this site is first rate. That maybe the next purchase. I wish I could afford two.

DJ,
The Shady Boy definitely looks like it would work on the back mounted to a rear rack. It is much wider (10’) than the rear of the camper so you would have quite a bit of overhang on the sides. Plus it would be way up in the air mounted to the rack. You would probably want to hold down the front so it doesn’t try to sail away.

The awning folds (see Haydukes post #8 in this thread) on itself then rolls up around the poles and into the case. It is not like an RV awning, the cloth is light and with solid fiberglass poles. The awning supports itself with the tension of the fiberglass poles inserted into the aluminum fittings.

I ordered the extra upright poles for the front corners and went ahead and got the stock brackets (which are for a VW camper). I would skip both the brackets and extra poles if I had it to do over again.

The fabric is coated for waterproofness but the seams aren’t sealed. It is a really ingenious design.

So far so good!

Attachments

• 20070722020.jpg
    20070722020.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 558
I ordered the extra upright poles for the front corners and went ahead and got the stock brackets (which are for a VW camper). I would skip both the brackets and extra poles if I had it to do over again.

Just wondering why you would skip the poles? Is this awning fairly steady even with a strong breeze?

Also, why skip the stock brackets? I assume the stand offs you made are working great?

Mike

I wouldn't have gotten the stock brackets only because I liked the 1" standoffs that I ended up using. And so didn't use it.

Originally, I thought I might try and make brackets so that the awning would come off. I thought I might make an auto roof rack bracket and could use the awning on the FWC as well as on the SUV, etc.

As for the poles, I have some shock corded poles from a dining fly that are nicer than the ones that you can order with the awning. The ones that you can get with the awning are just 2 piece fiberglass ones. The only good thing about the poles are that they have a delrin buckle half that mates to buckles that are already sewn on the awning. And they aren't your "normal" buckles so matching may be a problem.

I, too, have the SB awning and like it a lot. I find that the extra poles do help when you have windy conditions. Since they are flexible, they really do move with the wind. As explained to me by Wolfgang when i picked it up, you have to tie down with the rope and use the poles. The poles should flex to take some of the energy out of the wind. The use of other poles is OK if the flex. He told me that stiff poles, like the aluminum ones I used for canopy duty, are too stiff and the awning itself will have to absorb more of the energy. Of coure, if the wind is really strong, I don't use it.

I think that the most important thing now is a reliable, quick to deploy rear awning. Man, the rains here in Washington have been bad. I could really use a nice rear awning...

Dave in Seattle.

Good job following up on this post everyone. I haven't been posting for a while. Life gets busy and wives complain about too much time on the web. I've been taking the path of least resistance, but will jump back in after our upcoming planned trip to the East side of the Sierras in August. I've missed the last two planned trips due to family illness and other stuff. I think this trip is actually gonna manifest!
Hayduke

Any updates on the Shady Boy Awnings a year later??? Still like them... holding up well etc?

I just saw this one today on another site and looks like it could be a sturdy solution as well.

http://www.campinglab.com/awning.html#

For the rear of the camper I've been contemplating this:

http://www.eezi-awn.co.za/recvee.html

You could use it as an awning or expand your "interior" space as well. I think it would be a great place to setup the portapotty etc.

Just a consideration

Don't know about Hayduke but I picked the shady boy partly because it is self supporting under calm conditions. I wanted to avoid having to stake out or deploy ground legs except under windy conditions.

I have had mine on for almost a year. I don't deploy it all the time but the case and awning have held up well to being on the truck the entire time.

Hey all, As far as this awning goes, I really like the simplicity and relative price. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of "real" awnings (Catalina, etc.) but it's pretty easy to deploy and store. As far as wind goes, again, I would stash the thing if a 1/2 way serious wind came up. Something about a large kite attached to the side of my camper makes me cautious. You can tie it down, to alleviate some flex. I have some older aluminum poles which I like, but never thought of the dynamic traits of fiberglass poles in wind. Most of us know about that nasty desert wind that can come from nowhere and last for days though. The case appears bomber. I have no complaits. I'm still waiting for that perfect rear awning idea... Just food for thought
Happy Trails

Gotta revive this thread. I recently discovered the ShadyBoy awning and am strongly considering it. Looks like a great solution. How has this held up over the past seven years?

I think One hundred acre hufalump either has, or is considering buying, a Shadyboy. He may have more up to date info. on it.

Hi Folks,

I'm glad this old thread from way before my time here popped up again. I've been thinking of ordering a Shady Boy for my Fleet, but wasn't quite sure about it. These pictures and discussion have convinced me.

Has anyone bought one of these lately? Where did you get it? Who has the best price?

Thanks...

- Bernard

I emailed recently about price, and was quoted $300 for the awning, $30 for mounting brackets, $36 for the down poles, and $55 to ship it to Denver. Seems a lot pricy, and getting up near the cost of a Fiamma. He's a Canadian dude too, his prices should have come down at least 25% on account of the dollar soaring. If someone wants, we can negotiate a deal? I'm thinking $300 for all of the above, and I'd buy one...

Fallbrook said:
I emailed recently about price, and was quoted $300 for the awning, $30 for mounting brackets, $36 for the down poles, and $55 to ship it to Denver. Seems a lot pricy, and getting up near the cost of a Fiamma. He's a Canadian dude too, his prices should have come down at least 25% on account of the dollar soaring. If someone wants, we can negotiate a deal? I'm thinking $300 for all of the above, and I'd buy one...
Me too in a heartbeat

Back
Top Bottom