A little boost for the old 7.3

Barko1

Had this 99 Ford 7.3 for a couple months now, 1st diesel and I'm loving it but decided more is better. I added a 60hp DP Tuner chip, that is their "economy" lowest tune version and I figured if I could get 5% better mileage it would pay for itself and not stress my stock engine. Brought it home from the shop, had a new rear slider installed and had them slip the chip in while they had it. I gassed it coming up my road (guess gassed it is not technically correct:confused:) and I lit the tires up and left a cloud of smoke behind:eek:
I'll report further on the mileage when I get to that but yikes, the monster has been unleashed. Only other thing I have done to the engine is installed the oversize Donaldson air cleaner.

Had this 99 Ford 7.3 for a couple months now, 1st diesel and I'm loving it but decided more is better. I added a 60hp DP Tuner chip, that is their "economy" lowest tune version and I figured if I could get 5% better mileage it would pay for itself and not stress my stock engine. Brought it home from the shop, had a new rear slider installed and had them slip the chip in while they had it. I gassed it coming up my road (guess gassed it is not technically correct:confused:) and I lit the tires up and left a cloud of smoke behind:eek:
I'll report further on the mileage when I get to that but yikes, the monster has been unleashed. Only other thing I have done to the engine is installed the oversize Donaldson air cleaner.

A tuner is good maybe, first off HP is a meaninless no. as far as a diesel is concerned, it's all about torque. That black smoke is a sure sign that your engine is overfueling, a tuner works by altering the computer to give the engine more fuel, which will lead to much higher EGTs, and that 7.3 has a fairly inefficent intercooler, high EGTs are not good, also I'm still waiting for someone to explain how a motor which is overfueled will get better milage? I have a 7.3 which had the intercooler replaced and an injector upgrade before the Edge tuner was added. Along with that 60hp came some added torque, something a stock Ford auto. may not like. I hope you did your homework, because some tuners are safer than others. Remember, there is no free lunch.

. That black smoke is a sure sign that your engine is overfueling, a tuner works by altering the computer to give the engine more fuel,

It was tire smoke not exhaust:) I'll test the mileage next week to see if the chip is smarter than stock.

I recommend an EGT gauge before any tune

I installed boost and EGT gauges before doing anything else. The boost gauge can give you a good idea of what kind of fuel mileage your getting, other than that, it's just fun to watch. I consider the EGT gauge a necessity on any turbo charged engine.

Because the bearings in the turbo charger are lubricated with engine oil, and the turbocharger is directly connected to the exhaust, and the exhaust can become extremely hot (I've seen up to 1200F pre-turbo EGT during even short upgrades), EGTs are something to keep a close eye on, especially before stopping the engine, because the oil will no longer circulate and the turbocharger bearings can figuratively cook.

I usually wait until my EGTs have dropped to 300F before I shut down my engine. After a long climb up a hill, that can require 10 minutes or more of idling (a little less time if I raise the RPMs up to around 1000).

Add a tune and everything changes. Some tuners will lower your EGT, or at least allow them to drop faster, others will just scare the **** out of you when you get on it, even while carrying the camper. I've been experimenting with a Hypertech. It hasn't done anything to improve my mileage, but it can be a lot of fun. :D The towing tune is great for lowering EGTs, the performance tune is a lot of fun, but the boost pressure and EGT are just about pegged when I get on the throttle. The economy tune raised me EGT, even during moderate driving, and required a longer cool down time.

Diesel 101

April 09 issue of Diesel Power mag. how and why a diesel engine works, or maybe why it won't. There is also some good info. regarding tuners, worth reading if you have an interest in diesel power plants.

It was tire smoke not exhaust:) I'll test the mileage next week to see if the chip is smarter than stock.

What color was the smoke, black or grey? I'll bet it wasn't tire smoke.

The proof is the black stripe still on the road. I plan to drive it easy, the tune is for better towing and economy, I was just surprised by the amount of extra oomph that can be called up. I'll probably add gauges to satisfy my curiousity. Others with the same tune do report lower EGT's. I'll look for the diesel power mag. Today it was back to normal duty, hauled a couple horses to be boarded while we head to Alaska in the fwc:)

Back
Top Bottom