A lot of FWC in Death Valley This Week!

So Cal Adventurer

Just got back from a week in DV. Must of seen over a dozen FWCs! Getting amped up to take delivery of mine in Feb!

Ah, so your build is still a shell, and not a FWC?
Yes, we are a Cult :p

And we saw quite a few during our week trip to DV also.

Lighthawk said:
Ah, so your build is still a shell, and not a FWC?
Yes, we are a Cult :p

And we saw quite a few during our week trip to DV also.
No sir.. I went all out with a front Dinette Hawk with the goodies

Good for you.
That's a popular floor plan.

But, I meant on your current rig.
Isn't it a truck with a cap?
Wondering if we saw you in SV. We were there on 12/29

Lighthawk said:
Good for you.
That's a popular floor plan.

But, I meant on your current rig.
Isn't it a truck with a cap?
Wondering if we saw you in SV. We were there on 12/29
Ah.. yes sir.. white Tundra with leer shell and roof rack with solar and awning

i was there too. We, two FWC trucks, drove through the Titus canyon and the turnbuckles on the front came loose. One of the rear turnbuckle fell off. Beware of the washboard roads!

pollux said:
i was there too. We, two FWC trucks, drove through the Titus canyon and the turnbuckles on the front came loose. One of the rear turnbuckle fell off. Beware of the washboard roads!
Crap. Any damage

Mine will be used almost exclusively on washbords and similar

So Cal Adventurer said:
Crap. Any damage

Mine will be used almost exclusively on washbords and similar
luckily no damage, i read that we need to upgrade the rear shocks and springs.
My Eagle started bouncing heavily the moment i crossed washboard road.
my rear air bags is not adequate to handle this kind of driving.

I air down to 18psi and drive easy, my truck and camper handle it fine. Get your turnbuckle system dialed in, if it's not working, holding up, then fix the problems. Just what ever works for your rig, it can be done. Ron

Check the turnbuckles frequently and bring spares! I've had three break
(all the same front left/driver side corner, so must have some special pull on that corner. der)

hoyden said:
Check the turnbuckles frequently and bring spares! I've had three break
(all the same front left/driver side corner, so must have some special pull on that corner. der)
Thanks for sharing this. The turnbuckles supplied with the installation last month looked pretty weak, soft aluminum and sloppy threads.
I just ordered stainless steel turnbuckles from a marine supply company and will replace before I head out on the road.

We have done this in the past with good results on other stuff, might work here...

Could you add some nylock nuts on the outsides of them and then once the turnbucklesa are adjusted to the right setting, tightening the nuts against them??

So Cal Adventurer said:
We have done this in the past with good results on other stuff, might work here...

Could you add some nylock nuts on the outsides of them and then once the turnbucklesa are adjusted to the right setting, tightening the nuts against them??
Most folks have had good luck with one nylock wingnut on one side of the turnbuckle.

Back
Top Bottom