A new approach to Flatbeds and FWCs

Amag

Here is my solution to the age old compromise of sacrificing center of gravity or rear wheel clearance.

Been a long time lurker of this form but today I decided to join and show you all my approach to this highly debated topic.

The topic has been discussed at length here and about four years ago I set out to create what I thought was a perfect solution for this problem. So I bought a cheap flux core welder and went about sticking some metal together.

My goal was to create a flatbed that didn't raise the camper higher than the factory bed, allowed for full wheel articulation and most importantly looked sexy. My first rendition accomplished the first two.

I wanted something with modularity since the camper is not on my truck most of the time. I did not like the idea of the utility bed design like highway products or Bowen (who was not even making their beds when I started this endeavor). I have always loved the Australian UTE trays and wanted mine to look similar.

The black tray is my first attempt at this design. While it worked and was a great proof of concept, it had its obvious downfalls. Being steel, I had to keep weight in mind which ultimately resulted in the structure bending. I used thinner gauge material than I should have.

So I decided to buy an aluminum welder and make the new and improved version you see below.

I have patented this design and would like to get it to a point where I can produce and sell them to others at a more reasonable price point that the current market offerings.

Let me know what you all think!

gallery_13228_1632_1019066.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_1051218.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_614851.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_1716669.jpg

gallery_13228_1632_595616.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_1195758.jpeg

love this idea. I really would like a flatbed but some of these custom designs are just over the top expensive..

If you can make one for a 8 foot bed F150 HDPP I would be highly interested and be your best marketing tool here in Colorado...

Thanks BBZ! It is crazy to think about spending 20-25k on a flatbed for a camper.

You are also stuck with a bed that really only serves one function. The beauty of our truck campers is that they're easy to put on and take off. I feel like the bed should also have that modularity and function as a pickup when the camper is off. Not hating on Bowen or any of the other manufacturers. They are beautiful beds.

Currently working on a plate and tailgate (in one of the pictures) that will make it a flat deck in "truck mode" and have a big lockable storage bin underneath. This feature is part of the patent I obtained.

Slowly teaching myself Fusion360 and virtually working on a 3rd prototype to be able to have pieces cnc cut and slot together for final assembly.

Amag said:
Thanks BBZ! It is crazy to think about spending 20-25k on a flatbed for a camper.

You are also stuck with a bed that really only serves one function. The beauty of our truck campers is that they're easy to put on and take off. I feel like the bed should also have that modularity and function as a pickup when the camper is off. Not hating on Bowen or any of the other manufacturers. They are beautiful beds.

Currently working on a plate and tailgate (in one of the pictures) that will make it a flat deck in "truck mode" and have a big lockable storage bin underneath. This feature is part of the patent I obtained.

Slowly teaching myself Fusion360 and virtually working on a 3rd prototype to be able to have pieces cnc cut and slot together for final assembly.
Nice, quite the endeavor, but I am sure its a fun project as well.. Kepp us posted! (where are you located?)

I’m very i retested as I’ve been all over the internet researching flatbed options for my Tundra/2000 Hawk. Located in San Diego. Product looks great!

Back
Top Bottom