A new door for an old Granby

Desert Rancher

Contributors
Ordered a new door from Terry at 4WC and put in in. The old one was in bad shape, cracked frame and rotted out.
Plus I gained a screen door, which really makes it worth it and it closes so nicely.

Now I need to fab up a screen for the front window...

Went from this:.........................................To this:

Attachments

• DSC00543 (Large).JPG
    DSC00543 (Large).JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC01796 (Large).JPG
    DSC01796 (Large).JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 262
Ordered a new door from Terry at 4WC and put in in. The old one was in bad shape, cracked frame and rotted out.
Plus I gained a screen door, which really makes it worth it and it closes so nicely.

I also changed the door in my Hawk to get a screen door. Question what are you going to do for a curtain? The old one is too thick to fit between the screen and the door!

Bill in STockton

Attachments

• new door.jpg
    new door.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 153
  • old door.jpg
    old door.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 153

That looks appealing, how was install and the cost? I could use a screen door before I head to the Great White North and blackflies and mosquitos.

Bill, thanks for the heads up.
Planning to replace all of the curtains, but I see the door window/screen area is tight.

Barko,
Door cost was $295. However it cost another $110 to have it crated and shipped from 4WC to me (Fed-x was $85).
Install was easy. Had to add a piece of alum. trim on top. That and a handful of Tek screws made it simple and quick.

DSC01838 (Large).JPG

My old door was hard to close. Had to pull up and push in to get it too latch. This one closes better than any door in my house. Very happy!

My old door was hard to close. Had to pull up and push in to get it too latch. This one closes better than any door in my house. Very happy!

So it is a door in a new frame? I ditched curtains and use reflectix stuck on with little pieces of velcro. Provides privacy when needed along with some insulation. When not in use I just stick it on a piece of velcro on an inside wall.

The door is pre-hung in the frame. You just place it in the opening of the camper and screw away. It screws into the square tubing on the camper and I used the putty tape for sealant.

If you order one, be very specific about the dim's as they will make it slightly smaller.

I'm really happy with it.

The door-
DSC01731 (Large).JPG

The opening-
DSC01475 (Large).JPG

PS: the screen will get poked. With a 4 year old kid, dogs and the way we pack (toss) stuff into the back, it's gonna happen.

Also you need to let them know if right or left hinge, Rubber can be black like Desert Rancher or white like the one I have. Having the screen door is great, I used it all the time we were in Yosemite last week. My Hawk is a 2002 so my door was in good shape just no screen door. I sold the old door ($50) which saved me some $$ on the cost of the new door.

Bill in Stockton

I guess I should just bite the bullet, seems I've been chewing a mouthful lately :eek: No better time than before heading where it is warm and buggy. Is ATC a better cost option? For a Grandby.

I guess I should just bite the bullet, seems I've been chewing a mouthful lately :eek: No better time than before heading where it is warm and buggy. Is ATC a better cost option? For a Grandby.

Call and get a quote from both. They both order the door from someone else. I did 4WC as they had the door in stock. No shipping as the wife drove up and picked it up.

Bill

Call and get a quote from both. They both order the door from someone else. I did 4WC as they had the door in stock. No shipping as the wife drove up and picked it up.

Bill

Can she go get one for me :D

PS: the screen will get poked. With a 4 year old kid, dogs and the way we pack (toss) stuff into the back, it's gonna happen.

I used some adhesive velcro on the bottom sides of the inside of the screen door's frame to hang some plastic (an old translucent desk protector) that will protect the screen from my dog's claws. Easy to remove when more ventilation is needed.

Hey Bill,
You are the one that really got me motivated to do this.

To Aaron~
Thank you for providing this "portal of knowledge", where ideas, frustrations and experiences are shared.

Hey DR, I really like that little access door you have cut into the wall of the couch storage, might have to nick that idea from you!

Hey DR, I really like that little access door you have cut into the wall of the couch storage, might have to nick that idea from you!

Actually that was done by the P/O and it was done rather crudely.
I keep plastic grocery bags stuffed in there. Handy for dog crap...

I bought this camper 2005; one owner who lived in a HOA neighborhood, so it was always garaged and in good shape.

I used some adhesive velcro on the bottom sides of the inside of the screen door's frame to hang some plastic (an old translucent desk protector) that will protect the screen from my dog's claws. Easy to remove when more ventilation is needed.

I think I have one of those laying around, sounds like something is needed. Just ordered the door so I will soon be in the world of screen doors! Not looking forward to no see um's, blackflies, mosquitos, and whatever else will greet me in Canada :oops: , but the rest of the trip I'm looking forward to.

Bill

FWC had it in stock so I ordered last week. Arrived yesterday and I immediately installed it. No real issues but the door/frame is close to an inch deeper, not a dimension I was thinking of. Probably doesn't matter to most but I had made some changes to what had been the closet with a cabinet door that opened away from the back door (easier access from outside and that is where I store dog supplies, leashes, ropes, food, etc.). Anyway the cabinet would no longer close with the deeper door frame. It is nothing fancy so I just took the cabinet door off its' hinges, took it out to the table saw and chopped one inch off. Looking forward to using it :)

Barko,

An issue I noticed is that with the deeper door frame, the threshold is only supported the depth of the 1" alum frame tubing.
I got a piece of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 wood and trimmed it on the table saw to make a snug fitting shim about 1-1/4 x 1-1/2 x the width of the door. I ran a few screws through the threshold into the wood to keep it in place.

I was concerned that the threshold may bend over time without some support on the inside.

Take a look at yours and see if it is the same.

Attachments

• DSC01883 (Large).JPG
    DSC01883 (Large).JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 107
Barko,

An issue I noticed is that with the deeper door frame, the threshold is only supported the depth of the 1" alum frame tubing.
I got a piece of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 wood and trimmed it on the table saw to make a snug fitting shim about 1-1/4 x 1-1/2 x the width of the door. I ran a few screws through the threshold into the wood so keep it in place.

I was concerned that the threshold may bend over time without some support on the inside.

Take a look at yours and see if it is the same.

Mr. Barko, I noticed the same thing when we remodeled our old Ranger II. I also filled the space under, concerned that it would be bent over with a misstep or during loading/unloading.

Mr. Barko, I noticed the same thing when we remodeled our old Ranger II. I also filled the space under, concerned that it would be bent over with a misstep or during loading/unloading.

Good plan, I'll have to inspect it and see what will work best. It's 106 on my thermometer now so I may have to wait, but it is a dry heat :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom