A quick overnight jaunt to whidbey island

pods8

Contributors
Nothing extreme here in terms of a trip/report but the wife wanted to go check out Fort Casey State Park over on Whidbey Island and I was game for getting out of the house for the weekend (plus get to test out some of the new mods).

We camped among RV's but there is a generator quite time starting at 9pm so it was okay and people relatively kept to themselves so it was still relatively relaxing. In the mornings the park portion was quite but mid day the tourons came out. They are typical though in habbits and don't head out to wander around with mouths agap till later in the day as you can tell by the deer that would graze the grass in the morning before hiding when the crowds came.

Had a nice drive back through the Laconer / Mt. Vernon area where the flowers are in bloom.

Mortar stations. These we just a tad off the beaten path, thus nobody bothered to go look at them.
DSC02900Small.jpg

DSC02901Small.jpg

Gun stations with some mountain back drop
DSC02905Small.jpg

DSC02907Small.jpg

DSC02909Small.jpg

Couple shots with the rig in it (and the deer hanging out):
DSC02910Small.jpg

DSC02912Small.jpg

Couple shots from deception pass on the way home:
DSC02915Small.jpg

DSC02916Small.jpg

Even a weekend get-a way is good...And the sun was out...Extra bonus:thumb:. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Thinking Leavenworth area one of these upcoming weekends, just need to watch the weather and prioritize (still have to get the garden in and I have load of doors for the house that need to spray on stain/poly before installing...).

Thanks for the Memories!

Pods8,

Your Deception Pass flicks brough back good memories of running through there in the early 60's with my folks in our boat. What a great area.

We have friends that will need to be in downtown Seattle (hospital hill) off and on over the next few weeks, maybe months. They are in a Bigfoot camper and will want to stay in that while they are in the area. I was thinking they might want to locate outside the metro area, maybe someplace where they had direct ferry access to downtown Seattle and could cab to hospital hill. Any suggestions??

Happy Trails!
D

We have friends that will need to be in downtown Seattle (hospital hill) off and on over the next few weeks, maybe months. They are in a Bigfoot camper and will want to stay in that while they are in the area. I was thinking they might want to locate outside the metro area, maybe someplace where they had direct ferry access to downtown Seattle and could cab to hospital hill. Any suggestions??
D

I haven't hit really any of the park that are very close to the metro area, here are links to overview maps. Maybe saltwater state park down by kent might be tucked away from everything and still provide quick access back to the city. Off hand I can't think of any that are across the water and right by a ferry heading back into down town.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/region/?selectedregion=northwest

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/region/?selectedregion=seatac

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/region/?selectedregion=northpugetsound

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/region/?selectedregion=southpugetsound

Thanks

Pods8,

Thanks for the input. I didn't remember that there were campsites at Saltwater (Mom used to take me there to play with the sand crabs before I was even in kindergarten.)

There's a campground out by Enumclaw too that I was thinking about but I thought if they could locate someplace across the sound they might be able to dodge the traffic entirely by using the ferry and a cab.

I'll check out the links you provided and see what I can find that looks good.

Sorry to hear about your knee...Susan fights with hers on a regular basis and we know what a pain they can be.

Thanks again!
D

Sorry to hear about your knee...Susan fights with hers on a regular basis and we know what a pain they can be.
D

I'm walking CAREFULLY on it already (didn't feel like wearing a knee immobilizer into work) and doing decent so I'm thinking I should be walking pretty well at the end of the week which is nice. Biggest thing will just be remembering that even though it feels good I've got about 6 weeks till its actually good.

Back
Top Bottom