A Real Truck and Camper

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
DB0A6785-DAAC-42F1-9072-760057056AE4.jpeg

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36050/1950-chevy-truck-with-tiny-home-camper-is-the-most-american-way-to-travel

ski3pin said:
Frank, to be honest I don't know a thing about HOA's, I've only heard stories.
One of the folks I worked with had a home in an upscale NW Portland neighborhood. They couldn’t even plant tulips and daffodils without having the bulb quality approved by the HOA.

Paraphrasing Groucho, any neighborhood that had a resident like me, I wouldn’t want to live in anyway...

That rig reminded me of my first camper on my 350 powered '51 Chevy pickup. The camper was custom built by Ponderosa campers in Sacramento to fit the truck. These pics were taken in 1979, in Bandon OR. The little blond kid is my son and the guy cooking was my neighbor Skip. Ham radio antennas on the truck even back then.

Attachments

• 51 chevyA.jpg
    51 chevyA.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 176
Bob, you had a very nice truck. In times gone by, I had a beat up ‘52 Chevy and a straight ‘54 Jimmy. The whine of the gearbox still echos in my memory.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Bob, you had a very nice truck. In times gone by, I had a beat up ‘52 Chevy and a straight ‘54 Jimmy. The whine of the gearbox still echos in my memory.
Only had the stock engine and transmission in it for about two weeks so don't remember a whiny transmission. Replaced both with a built up Chevy 350 and a Turbo-400 automatic, Oldsmobile rear end and Ford power steering.
I remember almost having a heart attack when I was quoted $1800.00 to build the camper! Wish we had those prices today...
Actually, wish I still had the truck..

hoops - 1.jpgOkay- it's nostalgia time. Boon docking somewhere northeast of Death Valley early 1986. I sold the 1965 Panel a few years ago because I also had a '66 4x4 Panel. My kids used to hide in the back and asked me to drop them off a block before school. All of their friends affectionately called it " Hoopty". I used to wonder what they called me?!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
One of the folks I worked with had a home in an upscale NW Portland neighborhood. They couldn’t even plant tulips and daffodils without having the bulb quality approved by the HOA.

Paraphrasing Groucho, any neighborhood that had a resident like me, I wouldn’t want to live in anyway...
The area we live in (for 44 years) has a HOA.
Fortunately it's not like some "Nazi" HOA.
Our bylaws are very livable most aren't enforced anyway.

We do have have some valid ones most along the fire safety type.
But yes I am for parking it at my house.
Maybe that's the "ancient"rebel in me.
Frank

What cool old truck campers.
Lots of great memories.
No truck camping for me as a kid.
Lived outside Philly so the best I had was the Boy Scouts.
We went on lots of camping trips/hikes.Our Troop was back
in the "old"days one of the first in the nation.
Lots of great memories.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

Ronin said:
attachicon.gif
hoops - 1.jpgOkay- it's nostalgia time. Boon docking somewhere northeast of Death Valley early 1986. I sold the 1965 Panel a few years ago because I also had a '66 4x4 Panel. My kids used to hide in the back and asked me to drop them off a block before school. All of their friends affectionately called it " Hoopty". I used to wonder what they called me?!
Great stuff, Ronin, thanks!

PaulT said:
Frank,
Oof the first troops in the nation?
You wear it well. You really don’t look that old. :p

Paul
Thanks Paul.Our troop was one of the first.
I am not quite that old myself.Close though.

I think back to all the great times we had with out troop.
Lots of camping,even every year around Washington's Birthday time
we would attend a huge camp out at Valley Forge.
Once you do that in Feb you get to appreciate what Washington and the troops had to live through.
Thankfully we only spent a weekend there,then could home to our warm homes.
Great fun though.

Don't know if Boy Scouts do great things like that today.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom