A Remote Desert Grave - The Hunt for Susan Coon

Sagebrush Reconnoiterer

The Historian
In the lonely reaches of northern Nevada, there is path once utilized by emigrants to make new lives in northeastern California and Oregon called the Lassen-Applegate Trail. Along the way are found lonely graves of men, women and children. Few are marked. But there is one marked grave not far from my home, a woman named Susan Coon, who died bearing a child. Not only is her grave found, but there are two others within yards. These are of two prospectors who were attacked and killed by native peoples just shy of two years after. Come and join my search for Susan Coon.

Attachments

• coon.pdf
    552 KB · Views: 7
Addendum: At the cemetery in the semi ghost town of Unionville, 26 miles southeasterly, is the grave of the wife of James Bailey. Her stone reads:

"IN MEMORY OF DOCIA LUCAS BAILEY
19 MAR. 1830 - 7 OCT. 1863
WIFE OF JAMES BAILEY
KILLED BY INDIANS
8 JULY 1862"

I first found and photographed her grave the year previous to my search for Susan Coon's grave. A couple years later, when going through photo files I found it again and thus solved my quandary if Cook and Bailey were those killed by native peoples.

I have revisited the site of the graves several times in the years since my first visit.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom