A trip to Montgomery Woods SNR

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
Sometimes you just need to get away and de-stress. Maybe I should say all the time.

It's been a hard winter and we had not had the camper out since Christmas. Finally our calendars cleared and we planned a trip to Orr Hot Springs to follow up on a recommendation of a good friend. Reservations are required and they only have a land line, but in the end the gods smiled and we got a spot. Actually they have one spot that is designated for 'car camping', everyone else is in a tent or has a cabin.

Running a small construction company keeps me close to the office, so I didn't mount the camper until Wednesday, planning for a Friday departure. A dead battery (FWC OEM Interstate DCM0075) put me into rush mode to secure a new battery (Sear PM-1 which fit my 08 Hawk like a glove). Leadsled gave me some key info to make the install go smooth.

We got to Ukiah about an hour before sunset and got onto Orr Hot Springs Rd. I am glad I looked at in on Google Earth because it is one windy sucker. It's only 13 miles, but feels longer. We checked in and found that 'car camping' is really just a spot on their private road, but it was fine and the bathroom was next door. Not exactly our type of camping, but we were next door to a series of nicely improved springs, sauna's and steam baths surrounded by well-tended flower gardens. Pretty spa-like with a new-age feel. Ommmmm ;)
gallery_2472_295_659314.jpg

Orr Hot Springs has a history going back to 1878 and is still mostly off grid. No cell service here. But the big attraction is next door at Montgomery Wood State National Reserve (SNR) where there are spectacular old growth redwood groves. Those trees are monsters. We hiked the short loop and I went nuts using my camera / macro / flash to record the Seussian (my word) ferns, Redwood Sorrel, Trilium and Big Trees. It was awesome.
gallery_2472_295_367822.jpg

gallery_2472_295_1229574.jpg

gallery_2472_295_308282.jpg

gallery_2472_295_276669.jpg

Redwood Sorrel

gallery_2472_295_823943.jpg

gallery_2472_295_52806.jpg

gallery_2472_295_418284.jpg

gallery_2472_295_333918.jpg

Then back for more soaking :LOL: Did I mention they have at least seven cast iron bath tubs with piped hot water?
gallery_2472_295_1688274.jpg

gallery_2472_295_1200124.jpg

After our Saturday hike we continued along Orr Hot Springs Rd. to the burg of Comptche, but the store was closed. So we drove another eleven miles to go to Mendocino, where Mendosa's Grocery store is. I found a good bottle of wine and we picked up some fancy cheese (Humboldt Fog goat cheese). The sun was shining! After almost seven months of winter we were stoked to see some sun and explored along the coast until we stumbled upon Caspar Beach.
Low key and funky, just the way I like it.

Sunday we worked on our soaking technique. Hey, it's a hard job, but somebody has to do it! :p We did a short hike with rain-fall happening before/during/after. Driving back on Orr Hot Springs Rd. I stopped to photograph an American Kestrel hunting by hovering in the high winds then diving. Cool little raptors.

Synopsis: Leave on Friday, get a whole Saturday away including a second night out, and return on Sunday. Mission accomplished: stress relieved and a weekend that feels much longer, yet I am back at work Monday with a slightly more relaxed mind-set. :D And that's what it's all about.

Nice getaway and great photos. Thanks for sharing. I think Seussian is a great word. It fits the fern photo well.

Looks very cool.

How does the soaking tub situation work out, first come first served or are they tied to the reserved sites, etc?

Impressive photos Andy, glad you guys got out for a soak, sounds like a neat place. Nothing like a trip to the redwoods to make our short time on this planet feel even more insignificant!

Very nice Mr. Lighthawk, we always enjoy your wonderful photos and stories! Been awhile since we visited the Redwoods and Caspar Beach, your report is stirring up happy memories and a desire to get back up there. By the way, did you see any effects of the tsunami?

Looks wonderful and you shared some very enticing and well-done images. Beautiful area to share with your family.

Looks very cool.

How does the soaking tub situation work out, first come first served or are they tied to the reserved sites, etc?

Hey Pods,

The tubs are first come, first serve. There are five private mini-rooms with cast iron bathtubs, where you are asked to rinse or shower before entering the main tubs. Then there is a hotter pool 104-109F that will fit maybe 6-8 folks, and a medium pool (still plenty hot) that will fit a dozen. Upstairs, on a deck are two bathtubs that are in high demand with excellent views. In addition they have a large swimming pool 67F with attached warmish spring, which is next to sauna room and steam room. It's quite extensive, but can be somewhat crowded on weekends. And a nice locker room /bathroom /outdoor showers / massage rooms too.

Rates are a bit pricey @ $50/person to camp & soak, but it's very clean and well-tended. Most campers won't care, but they offer a full commercial kitchen, dining area, library and lounge. Gee, I feel like they should pay me a commission now ;)

@3Pin
No sign of tsunami, but I have to admit we didn't look for any either.

Nice getaway and great photos. Thanks for sharing. I think Seussian is a great word. It fits the fern photo well.

This one's for you Ted

gallery_2472_295_472585.jpg

Coincidentally, Dr. Suess' son lives near me and used to run a furniture store in Auburn. I still have the Ekornes chair I bought from him.

Back
Top Bottom