A trip to Taliesin

takesiteasy

We took a short trip to Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin in Wisconsin and a few surrounding spots. I posted a report on the blog. I hope you enjoy it. http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-trip-to-taliesin.html

Here are a couple of photos:

IFa04S3dfKSiiVY7xUI7lsp9tg5IV6WMRXu4bSbL5hs=w451-h676-no

c5NuXhXtMczJJmGpKSw0-hW9zzYAK13fRF0GVUwILOw=w451-h676-no

Interesting TR! FLW was truly an interesting individual, not to mention talented. We have one of his houses close to us. It was originally in Wilsonville, OR, but was moved to the Oregon Garden in Silverton. I didn't find it practical, but it was neat. Narrow passages that seemed restrictive.

I look forward to the Aldo Leopold report!

Great TR. Camping at Brookville Lake near Cincinnati. Viewing your report on phone does an injustice so look forward to view on the computer. Looks like a future trip. JD

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks for the memories.
I visited Taliesen ten years ago on a business trip. Not to highjack, but to build upon your story.

I was able to visit Manhattan and take in the Guggenheim Museum, before flying to Chicago where I had short window of time to take the train to Oak Park where I toured several homes, including his studio and Unity Temple. Later that day I arrived in Madison, WI, where the my hotel window looked out onto the Menona Convention Center, designed by Wright. Finally, our group toured Taliesen two days later, to top off my FL Wright immersion. It was a formative experience.

I've always been drawn to Arts & Crafts Movement and as a builder I've been influenced by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, Greene & Greene, Julia Morgan and others.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think our trip to Leopold's shack will be in the fall. We want to return to the Driftless Area again during the fall color.

Wandering Sagebrush- Wright was indeed an interesting guy- larger than life maybe and certainly arrogant. Only 5'-6" tall, he designed for himself and his homes often feel constricted to those of taller stature.

Lighthawk- sounds like a great immersion in all things Wright. I've seen several of his buildings, including some you mentioned (Guggenheim, Monona Terrace, several other houses). I would still like to see Taliesin West and the Johnson Wax Headquarters in Racine. They are currently exhibiting Wright's Wasmuth Portfolio. That would be fun to see.

FLW was a wanderer too.
Talliesen West was purchased in 1933 and "Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship began to "trek" to Arizona each winter in 1933."
Apparently they road tripped from Spring Green, WI to outside Taliesen West in AZ each year.

We enjoyed your trip report! Thank you as this really brought back the memories, Spring Green, Natural Bridge, the Shot Tower. Oh boy! I never visited Taliesin, my interests were elsewhere during the time I last lived in Wisconsin. One my favorite uncles was a master stone mason and did the stone work in a Frank Lloyd Wright house and is mentioned in a book the homeowner wrote about the design and building of his home. A copy of that book was one of my uncle's favorite possessions. Your report and others comments are really urging us to plan a trip back to our Midwestern home. Thanks again. :)

Thanks for sharing your trip. It was very interesting as I have seen several of his projects but not the ones you visited. Best of luck on your August trip.

ski3pin said:
We enjoyed your trip report! Thank you as this really brought back the memories, Spring Green, Natural Bridge, the Shot Tower. Oh boy! I never visited Taliesin, my interests were elsewhere during the time I last lived in Wisconsin. One my favorite uncles was a master stone mason and did the stone work in a Frank Lloyd Wright house and is mentioned in a book the homeowner wrote about the design and building of his home. A copy of that book was one of my uncle's favorite possessions. Your report and others comments are really urging us to plan a trip back to our Midwestern home. Thanks again. :)
The masons were integral to the execution of Wright's designs. They were artists in their own right. Cool that your uncle was one.

steelhead said:
Thanks for sharing your trip. It was very interesting as I have seen several of his projects but not the ones you visited. Best of luck on your August trip.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom