AC/DC Fridge

maheil

Advanced Member
[SIZE=10.5pt]Anyone using a Norcold or similar make AC/DC fridge (no propane option)? The three way fridge in my Grandby needs to be replaced. I have never liked the temperature performance of the fridges I have had on Propane so I am thinking about replacing the 3 way with one that runs on 12V DC and 110V AC without needing propane when on DC. I found a "deal" on a Norcold fridge that draws somewhere in the 2A range on DC with the compressor running. I am also looking at an ARB fridge with lower power consumption. I have 200 AH of battery on board and a 100Watt panel to recharge.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]What are you using?[/SIZE]

I saw some posts arguing “2 way Vs 3 Way” fridge definitions, but not too many specifics of what make/model 12V/110Volt units being ised.

I replaced my 3 way unit with a 12v Truckfridge TF130 compressor fridge. Truckfridge is made by the marine fridge company Indel Webasto at about half the cost. I'm happy with it so far.

If your camper has a converter there's no need to spend extra money on the 110v AC option. The converter will take care of that.

I have a 33 year old Norcold that I run off 208 ah batteries and 200 W solar. Inefficient @ 4 amps when running but never gone below 72% battery capacity in the two years using it. I have extra insulation around top, sides, and bottom and good ventilation for the heat exchanger.

I don't have a converter so the 110 volt option is nice for cooling down the frig before a trip.

jim

Thanks. Your responses I think reinforced my thought that I can probably do OK with a 12V compressor type fridge.

When my 3-way went down while out in the boonies, it gave me the chance/excuse to get that big compression frig/freezer I wanted and add another 100w solar panel (have 2 100w ones now) and go solar. :) ! Just use the propane for the stove and hot water heater and love my sol

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom